Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2014 10:26:19 PM EDT
So young man(22) I have known for a long time(11 years) went to a party out of town, got hammered, and passed out in the back seat of his DD's car. DD, DD's  girlfriend are in front seats, kid is in back seat. Driver gets pulled over doing 65 in a 55. Girlfriend comes out and says she has weed on her person, officer requests drivers permission to search car driver gives it, young guy wakes up, and climbs out of back seat. behind driver in back seat is a duffle bag with 5 lbs of weed, a scale, zip locks, and just shy of an ounce of cocaine. Girlfriend and driver say it is the kids, kid says he hasn't seen it before. driver and girlfriend get misdemeanor pot possession(less than an ounce and no intent to distribute, a 50 dollar misdemeanor ticket), 22 year old gets charged with felony possession with intent to distribute(weed), and felony possession (cocaine). He swears the bag isn't his, (really he is smart enough to get a non speeding or do it himself). Kid's mom has some limited law enforcement connections and the kid did some sort of plea deal where he will be guilty and on parole for 2 years but then it never happened.

In preparation to his plea guilty deal he explained that he made a bad decision with his choice of DD, he basically couldn't do much for 2 years, and couldn't keep his dad's gun collection(dad died way back). The end result is he sold me his guns for 1 dollar each, and gave me all of the ammo. I fully intend to sell them back to him if/when he is allowed to own them, what exactly is the "criminal" status of this kid? Apparently there were none of his fingerprints on the duffel bag, weed, coke, bags, or scale.

Is this sort of "be good for X days and it never happened" a while normal?
Would I be out of line contacting his parole officer and asking questions?

The guns are some nice(sweet BAR in .308, .44 super Blackhawk beat up carried in woods gun, .22 cricket he shot his first ptarmagin with, repro sharps trapdoor .45-70, air rifle, stripped lower AR reciver, and a marlin tube feed beat up).

The case disposition from courtview is below

Sentence: Fine: , Susp:
Costs: 100.00, Susp: , Incl: N
Jail Start: , days: , Jail End:
susp days: , susp time:
Susp start: , days: , Susp end:  
Clearance Date:
Mod: , narr: , Lic flag:
Dr sch: N, DUI sch: N, Rest: Forfeit all items seized. Report to probation office no later than the next business day following any release from custody. Not own, possess, purchase, transport, handle, or have in your custody, residence, or vehicle, any firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapons. Not knowingly associate with a person who is on probation or parole or a person who has a record of a felony conviction. Not consume intoxicating liquor in excess. Not use, possess, handle, purchase, give or administer any controlled substance, including marijuana. Not associate with individuals who use or sell illegal controlled substances. Undergo a drug/alcohol assessment. Not use, possess, purchase, consume, or ingest any product, preparation, mixture, or substance, nor possess any device intended to conceal alcohol or controlled sustance use or to subvert a bodily fluid testing process. Standard conditions as set forth by statute.
Prob type: SIS Supervised Probation, start: 10/06/2014, days: 730, End:
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
keep all the guns he might want and be able to get it all oveturned
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
All the story about why he wasn't really guilty is meaningless once he accepts the plea bargain.

Do not return his guns until you get confirmation from his attorney that the felony charge is actually expunged.  If you want to be sure, when its time to return possession, have him pass a BGC at an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the story about why he wasn't really guilty is meaningless once he accepts the plea bargain.

Do not return his guns until you get confirmation from his attorney that the felony charge is actually expunged.  If you want to be sure, when its time to return possession, have him pass a BGC at an FFL.
View Quote

This.  In addition he needs to be prepared to be denied and have to go through the NICS appeal process, and he will likely will need to apply for a UPIN as well.  States are very quick to report to the FBI any data showing a person is prohibited, expungements not so much.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/appeals-home
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like he screwed himself accepting the plea.

(right after screwing himself by having a stupid DD - which followed screwing himself with a poor choice of friends)

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a buddy who is a FFL, ill sell to him for 1 dollar and then he transfers for 10 bucks(ill eat that to be sure im on the right side)
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is the penalty and conviction information for the case? That is what matters.

Having seen how some first time offenders are given breaks, it is not unusual for them to complete probation, have the charge reduced, and there no longer being a felony conviction. This information should all be in the court record for the conviction/plea deal.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Apparently there were none of his fingerprints on the duffel bag, weed, coke, bags, or scale.
View Quote

Well IF, and I do emphasize the IF, you "friend" is telling the truth, he got fucked.  A CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION charge is difficult to make/prove.  Sounds like he had bad counsel... no direct evidence linking him to the drugs (fingerprints, DNA, etc., ... not his car... others present during the incident... yep. sounds like he got fucked hard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well IF, and I do emphasize the IF, you "friend" is telling the truth, he got fucked.  A CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION charge is difficult to make/prove.  Sounds like he had bad counsel... no direct evidence linking him to the drugs (fingerprints, DNA, etc., ... not his car... others present during the incident... yep. sounds like he got fucked hard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently there were none of his fingerprints on the duffel bag, weed, coke, bags, or scale.

I agree... when the PA is offering you a plea deal he knows that he has a LONG ROW TO HOE proving you are guilty and he wants to entice you into admitting it... I think competent legal counsel could have helped you out of this situation a little bit better...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
That "Court Record" is meaningless.  It doesn't show where he ever entered any plea in the case.  To get "diversion" he has to plead GUILTY in most courts; Judge and PO then sit on case for a set period of time.  He can't expunge anything because the ORDER and ENTRY don't show him pleading to anything; therefore, nothing to expunge....
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I think your friend is lying.

If the drugs were not his and he had no knowledge of them, why would he plead it out?

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the drugs were not his and he had no knowledge of them, why would he plead it out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because the entire federal (and most others) "judicial" system is designed to making a plea an attractive (as in you would have to be rich or a retard to not take it) option, with the potential of a hugely disproportionate punishment if you go to trial and lose.  The "judicial" system would collapse if everyone went to trial.
Want to make things interesting? Make a law that any sentencing must be for the lowest offer that the prosecutor made in an attempt to get a plea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us/stronger-hand-for-judges-after-rulings-on-plea-deals.html
97 percent of federal cases and 94 percent of state cases end in plea bargains, with defendants pleading guilty in exchange for a lesser sentence. Courtroom trials, the stuff of television dramas, almost never take place.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]
He sold them to you. I'd hold onto them until your buddy sees an attorney about expunging the record or getting his rights restored.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That "Court Record" is meaningless.  It doesn't show where he ever entered any plea in the case.  To get "diversion" he has to plead GUILTY in most courts; Judge and PO then sit on case for a set period of time.  He can't expunge anything because the ORDER and ENTRY don't show him pleading to anything; therefore, nothing to expunge....
View Quote

You may be right.  We need to see the actual JE, not a copy and paste to make sure.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because he'll lose at trial.

Him: "They weren't mine."
Jury: "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhtttttttt"
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree.
im betting the sao threw a deal up hoping he would take it.
i bet if your friend wanted to go to trial, the sao would have dropped charges.
based on whats posted sounds like a very weak case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking at the last line, it looks like he has 2 years of probation (730 days). That's a felony conviction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because the entire federal (and most others) "judicial" system is designed to making a plea an attractive (as in you would have to be rich or a retard to not take it) option, with the potential of a hugely disproportionate punishment if you go to trial and lose.  The "judicial" system would collapse if everyone went to trial.
Want to make things interesting? Make a law that any sentencing must be for the lowest offer that the prosecutor made in an attempt to get a plea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us/stronger-hand-for-judges-after-rulings-on-plea-deals.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

97 percent of federal cases and 94 percent of state cases end in plea bargains, with defendants pleading guilty in exchange for a lesser sentence. Courtroom trials, the stuff of television dramas, almost never take place.

Not to mention most DAs don't aspire to be DAs forever. Their prosecution record is their booster to higher political positions. The DA will offer a plea bargain so the defendant feels good that he go off with a lesser charge and the DA gets a drug conviction win on his record instead of a loss or dropped charges in a drug case.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Huh? You can get a longer probation sentence than that for a misdemeanor that would not prohibit firearm ownership?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the last line, it looks like he has 2 years of probation (730 days). That's a felony conviction.
Huh? You can get a longer probation sentence than that for a misdemeanor that would not prohibit firearm ownership?  

Nobody got time for your fan-see book lernin, boy. He dun red his-self a Judgement Entry copied off those dang burn informashun sooper hiway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
In Florida we use a pre trial intervention.(PTI).  Your essentially on probation, community service, group therapy, and etc.to what ever you agreed to with the PA.  Essentially, if you complete this clean, your record gets expunged.  I know when looking at the court records in Florida the case shows open and PTI along with a plea to what ever charge and etc. in the list.  The details are in the court paper work the judge signed too.  I would call the clerk of court or the prosecuting attorney, let them know you have legal possession of the firearms for your friend, and get the details from the horses mouth.  Like others have said, the PA sells probation, PTI, and pleas to pad their stats, just don't go off on them for that or you will be stonewalled. Most PA offices also have attorneys that take public questions on call (bankers hours of course) and they too may be able to look of the case and explain the disposition.  If call in on the phone doesn't work, make an appointment with them.  Depending on how busy your local office is, phone calls become a last priority.  Showing up in person always gives a better impression and priority to the PA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll give you $2 each.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#24]
DT...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top