Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 10:16:53 PM EDT
Specifically http://www.uslawshield.com/

Has anyone got any experience with these guys?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks more like "pre-paid legal" than "insurance."

Personally, I've had one of the NRA-affiliated Lloyds of London/Lockton Risk policies for years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think much of it personally.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Personally, I've had one of the NRA-affiliated Lloyds of London/Lockton Risk policies for years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do they work?  I understand the prepaid legal idea.  Are you buying their assumption of risk for  your gun use?  Does that come with a dollar cap and a choice of lawyers or is it just straight dollars for your defense?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Based on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on?

Based on the business model, the marketing spiel and their hyperbole.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on?

What's wrong with the business model specifically?  Just trying to understand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How do they work?  I understand the prepaid legal idea.  Are you buying their assumption of risk for  your gun use?  Does that come with a dollar cap and a choice of lawyers or is it just straight dollars for your defense?
View Quote

The NRA insurance policies have both indemnity limits (various amounts) and pay for defense counsel in a civil case. I'd have to go look to see if defense costs eat away at the limit. Like all insurance policies, I'd assume they get to choose the (civil) counsel.

They also have "reimbursement" up to a certain limit for criminal defense costs, but that doesn't pay until you're actually cleared criminally - which is the only way they're allowed to do it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The NRA insurance policies have both indemnity limits (various amounts) and pay for defense counsel in a civil case. I'd have to go look to see if defense costs eat away at the limit. Like all insurance policies, I'd assume they get to choose the (civil) counsel.

They also have "reimbursement" up to a certain limit for criminal defense costs, but that doesn't pay until you're actually cleared criminally - which is the only way they're allowed to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  It seems like the cost of getting someone to assume your risk for something as legally hazardous as defensive use of force would be extra steep.  Mind if I ask what your ballpark cost is through them?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Umbrella.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Umbrella.
View Quote
I think this is probably the correct answer.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Umbrella.
View Quote

Yeah, except most if not all umbrellas (and most other policies generally) have "intentional acts" exclusions which could result in denial of coverage, even if your intentional act of self-defense was justified.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting.  It seems like the cost of getting someone to assume your risk for something as legally hazardous as defensive use of force would be extra steep.  Mind if I ask what your ballpark cost is through them?
View Quote

About $250 a year. They have bigger polices now with higher limits, that cost more, as well.

Self-defense shootings, let alone ones that result in litigation, are pretty rare. I'm sure the actuaries have run the numbers well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

About $250 a year. They have bigger polices now with higher limits, that cost more, as well.

Self-defense shootings, let alone ones that result in litigation, are pretty rare. I'm sure the actuaries have run the numbers well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine so.  And someone who's going to insure against that isn't going to be the type to go off half cocked.  Risk averse operators are a risk mitigator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top