Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 8:46:22 PM EDT
Is it legal to order an ar lower online for someone else as long as they pick it up at the FFL?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it legal to order an ar lower online for someone else as long as they pick it up at the FFL?
View Quote

Yes.  However, to save yourself any potential hassle, you should make it abundantly clear to the shipper and receiver that the gun will be picked up by the other person and will be their gun, not yours.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower is for my father, he gave me the cash and wants me to order it for him.  So I would put his info on the order and just use my CC.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lower is for my father, he gave me the cash and wants me to order it for him.  So I would put his info on the order and just use my CC.
View Quote

That's getting pretty close.  In your order you want to make sure you use his name, addy, etc. and of course he's the one filling out the 4473.

But, why can't Dad go online and order himself?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing illegal about what you are proposing but it raises red flags to both the manufacturer and the FFL. So don't be surprised if they don't accept such an order.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I honestly don't know why he won't order it himself, I think I might tell him to just pick up a lower from the lgs.

I think part of it is that he's not sure what he's buying as this is his first ar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It only raises red flags if the two dealers involved don't deal with this issue often.  When I worked at AIM, we dealt with it fairly often, so it was no big deal as long as the customer called the order in and made it clear from the get-go what was going on.

Like I stated above, explain to both the shipping and receiving dealer what the situation is and all should be fine.  As long as the person who will be owning the firearm fills out the 4473, there should be no issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think part of it is that he's not sure what he's buying as this is his first ar.
View Quote

Probably best if he bought a complete rifle then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top