Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2014 5:27:33 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

Noobe here -first post is after searching in vain, bear with me, please!

First, an introduction:

Nearing-retirement age VA resident, I have been enjoying firearms and outdoor sports since I was a teen growing up on the farm. In my early twenties, I was a firearms instructor/ range officer at a local range, and spent all my waking hours there, reloading and firing approx 1000-1500 rounds a week. (Thank you, Dillon!)

Then along came marriage- wife got interested and became a shooter as well-then along came children... triplets on our first try. a fourth child when they were four years old.. had the children shooting a .22 "chipmunk" by the time they were 5...

Fast Forward.. gave up most of my hobbies as time requirements had to focus on raising children, as my wife passed away from cancer when trips were 13.. work and laundry took all my hobby time and I no longer kept up with the latest and greatest in the shooting world- my weapons ( except my .45) gathered dust in the safe.

Here I am 15 years later, remarried, kids are grown, picking up and relearning some of my old hobbies. I bought an Ultra Classic and started riding again about 5 years ago (sold my last Harley when the kids were 4), and used Al Gore's internet to order a Ruger SR556 the other day. I started researching optics, which led me here, and I think I'm gonna like this place !!

Now my question :
 Before ordering online, I called a local FFL holder (home business) to confirm that it was okay to have the Ruger shipped to him and that he had an FFL on file with that particular wholesaler.. "Good -to-go" he said. None of this existed back when I was elbows deep in primers and powder.
 I placed the order, waited until I got an email confirming, then called the dealer a couple of days later to let him know it was on the way." No problem, I'll call when it arrives". When I told him what semi-auto rifle I had ordered, he told me to make sure I bring my passport along with my ID, as there are "extra ID requirements" for "Assault Weapons" transfers.This didn't seem right, especially since the 2004 "sunset", so  I searched here and Google with no real answer to this, so I turn to the guys who know ( or at least will claim to ).

We both are in Fairfax County, VA.... Maybe I lost touch over the years, but is he correct, or is he adding some extralegal requirement of his own ? I have no choice but to comply, since the rifle is already paid for, but, I would like to know just how far out of touch I am !!

Thanks everyone, and don't run me off just yet.. get to know me for a few posts THEN disown me like all my children have done !!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Must be a Virginia thing! First of all they are using a political definition. A assuslt rifle would need a tax stamp!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link.... I cant believe that VA defined ANY semi-auto as an assault weapon, regardless of furniture, it's SILL a semi-auto.... that's what happens when we citizens fall asleep at the switch. ... thanks again...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.... I cant believe that VA defined ANY semi-auto as an assault weapon, regardless of furniture, it's SILL a semi-auto.... that's what happens when we citizens fall asleep at the switch. ... thanks again...
View Quote

Been too many democrat governors and assembly majorities in the past 20 years there.  All kinds of commie crap crept in.

You're still better off than what the dems did to us here in Colorado :(
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
And yet they won't require and ID to vote...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dead CIA Employees can motivate the legislature.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought a dead citizen is equal to any other dead citizen.. forgot there is "extra" equality associated with some jobs.... Virginia is too close to DC.. Suburbia has been inundated with Liberal "creep".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought a dead citizen is equal to any other dead citizen.. forgot there is "extra" equality associated with some jobs.... Virginia is too close to DC.. Suburbia has been inundated with Liberal "creep".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quazi used an AK and was from Pakistan.
The gun store he used went out of business not long after.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Virginia requires a second form of ID for "assault" weapons; this second ID is to prove you're a US citizen.

One of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

a certified birth certificate or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,
   an un-expired US Passport,
   a U. S. citizen identification card,
   a current voter registration card,
   a current selective service registration card,
   an immigrant or registration card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and
   a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
View Quote

You also need a secondary form of ID to purchase any type of firearm other than antique/replica:
The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

a current lease,
   evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
   a current utility or telephone bill,
   a current voter registration card,
   a current bank check,
   a current passport,
   a current automobile registration and
   current hunting or fishing license.
View Quote

I always use my CCW and have no problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And yet they won't require and ID to vote...
View Quote

Actually, picture ID is required in VA to vote.  Funny, that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top