Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 6:38:53 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals, so a while ago my girlfriends half sister was threating court and what not over some guns after their father died. The thread is here:
Here

Fast forward, she never took us to court, she didnt get anything from us. The estate is settled and she got her half of the money and we hadn't heard from her. Now over the past few weeks she has been calling everyone she can think of to find our address. Friends, realtives, even our realtor( we just bought our first house, should be closing within the week). She even had one of her tweaker friends call and ask for our address so she could send a gift from her florida vacation, yeah right. She has told every one that she wasnt treated fairly in the setteling of the estate and shes taking us to court. In my mind she wants to find our address to try and rob us, slice our tires/vandalize our new place, or call social services with some bogus claim just to make our and our daughters life hell.

So is there anything we can do to get her to back off from trying to find where we live? Is she breaking any laws?  Is there anything we can do? Im a private person as is, dont like other people coming around my land much less her and the hell she may bring with her. And i dont want the crazy bitch around my daughter. Any help would be appriceated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Restraining order...

Unfortunately, nothing has happened yet. Hope things work out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Restraining order...

View Quote

Is a restraining order really going to keep her from finding my house? Or doing anything if she does find it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Restraining orders aren't worth a pinch of shit, but they make lawyers and judges feel important.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
is she aint an idiot your deed is a public record likely listed online
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Put as much disinformation out there as you can.

Remember, we live in the information age...and the disinformation age. Spreading disinformation can be just as much of a defense as having good intel,
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably no way to keep her from finding out where you're at if she tries hard enough, but there's plenty you can do to prepare for the time when she does.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your situation OP. just remember no one will be there to help you but you. Protect your family, be firm to agitators, and be prepared to be pro active.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

She is very, very dumb.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt you, but she is probably in possession of some thing that a lot of smart guys want.

Depending upon a low IQ person not doing anything smart is not a good defense plan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is a restraining order really going to keep her from finding my house? Or doing anything if she does find it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Restraining order...

nothing is going to stop her, once you have license transferred to your new addy or pay your taxes you're public record..

I'd file a restraining order and say you've heard she's making threatening remarks...not much you can do from there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
either move away or deal with it because if someone wants to find you they will. I would invite her over and have a cop there and let her know

if she returns she can be arrested for Trespass. if she is stupid she should scare off easy. get security system set up .
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You can find anyone with a basic internet search. Spokeo shows all my previous addresses and phone numbers, along with my relatives and their information.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
either move away or deal with it because if someone wants to find you they will. I would invite her over and have a cop there and let her know

if she returns she can be arrested for Trespass. if she is stupid she should scare off easy. get security system set up .
View Quote

We are moving as far away as we can afford right now. Out in the sticks near national forest. Not because of her but because we wanted to get as far out as we could. I know its easy enough to get an address but shes not willing to pay any fees associated with getting such information. Shes in her late 40's, never worked, 8th grade education, pill/meth/whatever head white trash, its hard to tell what goes through her head. So i guess my options are to just wait it out and see what she does. I think shes just bluffing to fuck with us. But she is trying awful hard to find out where we live.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can find anyone with a basic internet search. Spokeo shows all my previous addresses and phone numbers, along with my relatives and their information.  
View Quote

She dosent have internet.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd put up some security cameras. You know it's coming, get as much evidence as you can.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd put up some security cameras. You know it's coming, get as much evidence as you can.
View Quote

Im trying to work this into our budget right now. Its going to be tight. At a minimum im going to put up a game camera to have photographic proof of who comes and goes and when they do it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Protective orders are comparatively difficult to get in Virginia, and there's a good chance in attempting to obtain one, she'll find out your location.  Failure to successfully obtain an order could also cause her to feel empowered.

I don't believe there's anything you can do to prevent her from obtaining your address as that information is public and contained in more databases than you can count.

The best thing you can do is be prepared.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spokeo is easy as shit to fool if you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]
1) Use a PO Box for all of your bills.  You should be doing this anyways.

2) Install quality cameras (things like HD are worth it here).  A good setup with a hard drive that can record up to three weeks worth is probably what you want.  $800-$1000+.  I don't think Game Cameras would do the job.

3) Perhaps talk to your realtor/lending agency and see if you can have the Deed reflect a Trust that is buying the home.  If so, create a trust that doesn't have your name on it.  Might need a lawyer to help with that.

Or, don't buy that home.  Once you buy, your name becomes quite the public record.  You can rent and make it much harder for people to find you.

Or like the other person said, disinformation works wonders.  Use your imagination.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

this, you just have to google "x county tax records" and a website will come up that you can do all sorts of searches on.  how much the home has ever sold for, tax value for several years, square footage, rooms, baths, lot size, value of land, etc, etc, etc.  

the restraining order would help because she may be able to find out where you live, but she cant approach you depending on how far she must be from you.  other than that, I don't know what you could do.  don't post your address on social media or anything like that (if you have it).
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Find an address for someone with you same name or your girlfriend's and give that to her.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No libraries where she lives?

I can go to Apple Store, Best Buy, etc.,  and the in-store computers that are sales demos have wifi and are internet connected.

She is an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

nothing is going to stop her, once you have license transferred to your new addy or pay your taxes you're public record..

I'd file a restraining order and say you've heard she's making threatening remarks...not much you can do from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Restraining order...

One doesn't just file a restraining order.  You have to apply for one, have a hearing, and show cause.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you already close on your house?

There is one thing I can think of to do to keep her from finding you easily. Unfortunately, the easiest way to find your house is a matter of public record because it's local tax/deed information. But to defend against her you have to think like her. If she discovers this angle of finding you she is going to go to the courthouse (or even online in many cases) and search for property owned by "Jim Bob Brown", "Jim Bob Brown's Wife" etc etc.

What she won't be searching for property owned by "Per-Sec Property Management Group"... IE, create an LLC property management company, have the company buy your house, then pay rent to your company so your company can pay the mortgage. You may lose some small tax advantages and it will be more work and hassle (may have to file taxes for company, will have to have seperate accounts and do more moving of money), but if you are seriously concerned this is what I would do and I would do it ASAP. Once she discovers your address there is no "undiscovering" it. All of the other stuff (restraining order, security system) is only for "cleanup" after she finds you and pays a visit. Preventing her from finding your address is the most solid thing and getting the house OUT of your name or anything even close to your name is a HUGE step to preventing her from finding your address.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#25]
some cities have "cease and desist" orders, meaning they are barred from even calling people and asking about you. It is designed just for this. My state has them some do not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#26]
as long as she isnt a moron she will find your address eventually. look into some good security systems. hopefully with time she will calm down and put it all behind her
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Not much you can do, public records and such. Part of my job entails finding people, and most people can be found with about two minutes of computer work. All you need is a name and one other piece of information, such as age range, other relative name, month/year of birth, zip code with a radius, etc. If the name is unique, you don't even need an extra bit of information. If you own your residence, that makes it sure-fire, but renters can be found, as can cell phones, places of work, e-mail addresses, you name it. I have only encountered one person who I have not been able to locate over the last five years of locating hundreds, if not thousands, of people. That person is on the FBI most wanted list and the feds can't find him either. One way to possibly make it harder to find your residence would be to quit claim it into some obscure sounding trust. That would throw a bit of a kink into a land records search based on your name alone. All counties have different search criteria so that may or may not help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Check your state stalking laws, consider consulting with law enforcement, indicate that you are in fear of some sort of violent action.

You may need to make it known to her that you are in fear based on her persistent attempts to locate you and that you are asking her to stop.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top