Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 10:46:12 AM EDT
I have a question about the law on traveling to another state with an AR completed from an 80% lower.

The AR is a full sized rifle, no NFA stuff going on. Is it treated the same as a legally owned AR with a serial # as far as going to another state for say, training or sporting purposes (or even hunting or going to a range)?

I know manufactured firearms are legal if they do not change possession and with no "intent" to sell, etc, but the specific on if the firearm can leave the state has my curiosity.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure it can leave your home state.  The issue may be is it legal to have your home made weapon (your personally finished 80% lower) in the destination state.  Also, I think that Washington state has a law that states any part of a full auto weapon is illegal in the state.  With that in mind, if you used some reclaimed AR15/M16 parts from Colt kits that were demilled you may be in trouble should it be discovered.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Federally, it's treated the same as an AR made by a licensed manufacturer.  That also means that if you get tired of it years from now, you can sell/trade it.

I don't know of any state laws that ban the manufacture of firearms (or the possession of a homemade firearm), but I don't know the laws of all 50 states.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
California was considering legislation regarding 80% lowers but I don't think it passed yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.

I have been doing research on the ATF site and state sites and cannot find anything specifically about it, so I suppose it's legal.

Let's hope I never have to find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top