Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 8:24:12 PM EDT
I have a fellow wanting to buy my SW M&P 15X but he doesn't have a valid Ky Driver license but he did ask if his Military ID would work. I've never ran across this before and wondering how you would handle it?? Looking for answers!! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That should be fine, but if you are in total CYA mode, then you could always ask to see a copy of his PCS orders stationing him in Kentucky. Those grant him a form of "dual residency," if you will, for the purpose of buying firearms. I used my military ID and a copy of my orders to buy several guns while I was stationed in Alaska with a Texas DL and CHL. When I came back home to Texas on leave, I'd simply use my DL and CHL to buy as normal.

Here's an excerpt from the ATF 4473 instructions page for dealer-to-peon sales:

If the buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty acquiring a firearm in the State where his or her permanent duty station is located, but he or she has a driver’s license from another State, you should list the buyer’s military identification card and official orders showing where his or her permanent duty station is located in response to question 20.a
View Quote

Also:

Question 13. State of Residence:
The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, his or her State of residence also is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top