Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 3:46:01 PM EDT
I was wondering the legality of someone spraying a commercial grade herbicide along a shared fence line, 1'to 3' on to my side, killing grass, shrubs and trees? Yes, I keep the grass cut and trimmed on my side of the fence.

Any answers to this? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I see this was a waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Mods, please delete...
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was wondering the legality of someone spraying a commercial grade herbicide along a shared fence line, 1'to 3' on to my side, killing grass, shrubs and trees? Yes, I keep the grass cut and trimmed on my side of the fence.

Any answers to this? Thanks
View Quote

Why would you say this was a waste of time?  Your post has been up for a day, and this isn't GD.

I've sprayed my boundary and interior fence lines with herbicide and kept the kill zone within a few inches of the fence, just enough so I can mow without having to trim, and so the weeds don't short out the hot wire.  I couldn't imagine an overspray of 1', never mind 3', and if it did end up killing my neighbor's shrubbery then I'd expect to be asked to replace it.

So, what did your neighbor say?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just used to the fast pace of GD. Seen plenty of views and no replies.

Yes, they are spraying from 1' to 3' on my side of the fence.
It's a fire station the fire chief doesn't care. I approached him last summer concerning the same issue.

You can actually smell it on the shrubs where they are turning brown.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm curious about my legal options now
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have an actual loss take it up with the cities insurance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, they already killed one dollar tree, almost killed a once beautiful crape myrtle last summer. My yew trees are turning brown. Not to mention the grass along the fence.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
In true Arf fashion, I recommend you hook up a game camera pointed at the fence line.  Once you're 100% sure that someone's maliciously spraying onto your side, go over the chief's head (city safety director, mayor, however your city does it).

If you were in Ohio, maybe it would rise to the level of criminal damaging.  Civilly, I don't know if there's anything you can do.  If you can prove the trees and shrubs have value you can try small claims court.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#10]
You should make a claim with the fire protection district or city as applicable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top