Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 3:53:53 PM EDT
I have a very unique business model and I know for certain I am the only one doing it in my state... possibly in the country.

I am looking to protect the idea of what my business does. PM for more details.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes - it's called a "business method patent."
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a very unique business model and I know for certain I am the only one doing it in my state... possibly in the country.

View Quote

Sharing the details, even by PM, is a great way to get your idea into the public domain and unprotectable ... assuming it is patentable in the first place.

Recent Supreme Court decisions have narrowed business method patents somewhat, but they may be patentable in narrow circumstances.

However, you seem confused about what makes an idea patentable, it is not that no one else in your state is "doing it".  It is that it has never been publicly described before. You have to be the one that actually first disclose the method via your patent filing. It cannot be found in literature, nor be obvious to someone already skilled in the subject.

Patents are very expensive to apply for and obtain, and there are no shortcuts to the process no matter what others may tell you. If you really think your idea is novel, and valuable, consult a patent attorney in your area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me guess: "buy high, sell low", then blame Obama/Holder/Operation Choke Point , followed by a crowd funding effort?

Jeremy Alcede beat you to it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So buying shit at .gov auction and neckbearding ammo is a business model that is unique?
View Quote

lol, no this one is not my ammo business
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The government is here to help you...

USPTO Business Methods

...give money to lawyers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Business method patent law is arguably the most complicated area of patent law.  Unfortunately, the USPTO website is not going to provide you much assistance.  Try to find a local patent law boutique and schedule time with one of their prosecutors that specialize in this area. They can help you better understand the law and figure out what is the best course of action.  Many firms will give a you a consultation for free.  Though if your business has been performing this invention for over 1 year, forget about it as you are precluded from obtaining patent protection.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top