Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2014 5:35:17 AM EDT
P
I bought a particular rifle under my FFL and logged it in as inventory. I later decided to make it a personal gun so I logged it out to me with a completed 4473. I have now sold it out of state and shipped to buyer's FFL in another state. What if any paperwork do I now need for my book?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-records-required.html#ffl-private-sales

Q: May a licensee who has firearms in his or her private collection sell any of these firearms without making firearms record entries?
A licensee may sell a firearm from his or her personal collection, subject only to the restrictions on firearm sales by unlicensed persons, provided the firearm was entered in the licenseeâ??s bound book and then transferred to the licenseeâ??s private collection at least 1 year prior to the sale. When the personal firearm is sold, the sale must be recorded in a “bound book” for dispositions of personal firearms, but no ATF Form 4473 is required.
[27 CFR 478.125a]

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing you are done.
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
When selling a privately owned firearm that I took out of inventory I always log it in from me and then out to the buyer. You don't have to, but it's what I do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
P
I bought a particular rifle under my FFL and logged it in as inventory. I later decided to make it a personal gun so I logged it out to me with a completed 4473. I have now sold it out of state and shipped to buyer's FFL in another state. What if any paperwork do I now need for my book?
View Quote

If you had the firearm in your "personal collection" for less than one year you need to note the disposition in your bound book.

§478.125a   Personal firearms collection.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subpart, a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer is not required to comply with the provisions of §478.102 or record on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, the sale or other disposition of a firearm maintained as part of the licensee's personal firearms collection: Provided, That

(1) The licensee has maintained the firearm as part of such collection for 1 year from the date the firearm was transferred from the business inventory into the personal collection or otherwise acquired as a personal firearm,

(2) The licensee recorded in the bound record prescribed by §478.125(e) the receipt of the firearm into the business inventory or other acquisition,

(3) The licensee recorded the firearm as a disposition in the bound record prescribed by §478.125(e) when the firearm was transferred from the business inventory into the personal firearms collection or otherwise acquired as a personal firearm, and

(4) The licensee enters the sale or other disposition of the firearm from the personal firearms collection into a bound record, under the format prescribed below, identifying the firearm transferred by recording the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model, serial number, type, and the caliber or gauge, and showing the date of the sale or other disposition, the name and address of the transferee, or the name and business address of the transferee if such person is a licensee, and the date of birth of the transferee if other than a licensee. In addition, the licensee shall cause the transferee, if other than a licensee, to be identified in any manner customarily used in commercial transactions (e.g., a drivers license). The format required for the disposition record of personal firearms is as follows:

(b) Any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer selling or otherwise disposing of a firearm from the licensee's personal firearms collection under this section shall be subject to the restrictions imposed by the Act and this part on the dispositions of firearms by persons other than licensed manufacturers, licensed importers, and licensed dealers.

(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1140-0032)

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10504, Mar. 31, 1988, as amended by T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32509, July 17, 1991; T.D. ATF-415, 63 FR 58280, Oct. 29, 1998; ATF-11F, 73 FR 57242, Oct. 2, 2008]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-records-required.html#ffl-private-sales
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Q: May a licensee who has firearms in his or her private collection sell any of these firearms without making firearms record entries?
A licensee may sell a firearm from his or her personal collection, subject only to the restrictions on firearm sales by unlicensed persons, provided the firearm was entered in the licenseeâ??s bound book and then transferred to the licenseeâ??s private collection at least 1 year prior to the sale. When the personal firearm is sold, the sale must be recorded in a “bound book” for dispositions of personal firearms, but no ATF Form 4473 is required.
[27 CFR 478.125a]

Thanks-I saw that but it has not been a year since I booked it out to me. I should have mentioned that--I assume the answer is I need to enter it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top