Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2014 5:39:50 PM EDT
We have a small claims case against a former landlord over the deposit.

Per their attorney they have agreed to settle the claim, and a mutual release in exchange for the settlement check.

The defendant has not yet signed it, is this the normal order of things and is there anything we should watch out for?

Should we require the check to be in certified funds or something? Or should they have signed it first?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If I understand you correctly, you're suing the landlord.  If that's the case, then basically they give you a check (according to your settlement negotiations) and then you sign the release.  The only reason I see to have the landlord sign the release before you do is if he's made claims against you as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
they threaten to at one point to try and get us to drop it, then after our response agreed to settle for returning deposit and filing costs rather then defend against statuatory double damages, so we want the release as well,

(maine is weird in that they allow attorneys and attorneys fees in small claims) and there is some odd case law in relation to deposits from what I could find
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top