Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 1:01:37 PM EDT
Ok my Dad passed away in May of 2012.

He had a loan that I helped him obtain. I never signed as a co signer. I am 100% sure. I even have the original contract in hand with just his signature on it.

The loan defaulted after he passed and it was passed onto a collection agency.

The collection agency has called threatened, the normal BS.

I sent them a copy to the original loan company and CA and they do not care.

They have sent me letters and such demanding I pay.

I always send back a certified letter asking for proof of the loan.

My mom informed me that a constable stopped by her house looking for Dad or me.

She showed him Dad's death certificate, and then he turned the direction to me.

Mom told him I never lived there and that she doesn't know where I live, he gave a phone number and said I needed to call him back ASAP.

He had papers about subpoenaing Dad or I to court to answer for the loan.

My question is, in the state of TN, will I get a default judgement if they do not serve the papers.

They have not tried to come by my house yet. I am just curious to see if I need to be proactive or make them find me first.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you help him obtain the loan?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
LAWYER UP NOW!!!!!!!! Contact the original loan company. Make them show you what their justification for pursuing you for payment is. Contact Tenn. Office of Consumer Affairs or its equivalent to find out what your rights are. Have your lawyer send a cease and desist letter. If that does not stop it then file on the Collection Agency for harassment, mental anguish, and whatever else you can come up with. Oh, and did I mention.....LAWYER THE FUCK UP!!!!. The CA is just trying to scare you into paying. It is simple theft by the CA, and they should have their business license revoked. jmtcw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Being served doesn't mean you've lost.

But yeah, lawyer up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Unless you gave him cash as a down payment ONLY, something is amiss.

Was your Mom and Dad still married at the time of his death? If so, why are they not going after her?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell them to prove it or piss off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had similar things happen a few times (most of my family has passed). I think this is something that is done fairly frequently by groups that buy bad debts. They probably get a fair number of families to pay up. As soon as  you get into court and ask to see the original loan documents from them and they can't produce them, they lose. I have even heard of places making up false debts to try this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LAWYER UP NOW!!!!!!!! Contact the original loan company. Make them show you what their justification for pursuing you for payment is. Contact Tenn. Office of Consumer Affairs or its equivalent to find out what your rights are. Have your lawyer send a cease and desist letter. If that does not stop it then file on the Collection Agency for harassment, mental anguish, and whatever else you can come up with. Oh, and did I mention.....LAWYER THE FUCK UP!!!!. The CA is just trying to scare you into paying. It is simple theft by the CA, and they should have their business license revoked. jmtcw.
View Quote

Best advice. CAs buy large bundles of paper for pennies on the dollar and only care about collecting. They could care less if it is a legit claim or not. And yes they will ding your credit report.

If you can't be served, the case can still go forward and if you don't represent yourself the CA will get a judgment against you that WILL hold up in court . . . they count on this for unjustified claims. And yes, some do make up debts, knowing full well that they are bogus, but that they will collect on a percentage of them anyway. [I had to deal with this once. Many years ago I had pagers thru Arch Wireless, ALWAYS bought the devices outright. When I canceled them they tried billing me for not returning them (that I owned outright), contacted Arch Wireless and thought it was straightened out. A few years later I get harassed by a CA, had to threaten a Consumer Protection lawsuit to shut them up.]

If you are in the right, only the threat of legal action by you can stop them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

I helped dad find the company and I helped him fill out the paperwork.

I did not sign for or use my credit in helping him obtain it.

I was just put on as a reference. I have the original document sitting here in front of me.

I have tried to tell them to prove it. I have all the certified mails slips, and return slips to them.

I dont have time to pursue this further. As far as I can tell they have not dinged my credit.

I dont even think they have my social security number.

My question still remains. If they do not serve me the papers, can they still claim judgement against me, without serving me?

I am at the point in work to where I dont have time to deal with this.

I dont have the extra cash for a lawyer either.

I want them to serve me so that I can go to court, but I am not going to search them out, they can find me.

For all I know it could of been a false character to try and scare me into paying.

Mom said guy drove unmarked car, and didnt have a badge or gun, but said he was a constable.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If they are unable to personally server you, your area might allow service by publication in a local paper. Not sure how that works for things other than divorce and DHHS stuff, but I'm sure it varies. You would lose if a court date is set and you aren't there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can't afford a lawyer it sounds like you need to contact whoever your local consumer protection agency is.  And let the collection agency know you're doing so.

Collection agencies have very strict rules they have to follow.  I bet they're breaking more than one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont have time to pursue this further. As far as I can tell they have not dinged my credit.
View Quote

Your story makes no sense because there is no reason for them to believe that a "reference" is obligated on a loan. You need an attorney.

If you have a process server trying to serve summons on you, you can't afford not to pursue this further.  You need to find an attorney and have that attorney monitor the court records to ensure that the collection agency does not obtain a default judgment against you.

All the advice that talks about consumer protection agencies etc. is nonsense when there is an attempt to serve a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Your story makes no sense because there is no reason for them to believe that a "reference" is obligated on a loan. You need an attorney.

If you have a process server trying to serve summons on you, you can't afford not to pursue this further.  You need to find an attorney and have that attorney monitor the court records to ensure that the collection agency does not obtain a default judgment against you.

All the advice that talks about consumer protection agencies etc. is nonsense when there is an attempt to serve a lawsuit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True, if they really are trying to serve papers then it's time to lawyer up.  I wonder if OP could countersue for the cost of defending himself?

My gut tells me this person wasn't really serving papers though.  Collection agencies do all kind of lying, sleazy stuff.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
OP if you didn't sign a personal guarantee or otherwise obligate yourself to the loan call a lawyer familiar with the fair debt collections practices act.  Or if you are lucky your state will have a similar law.

Here in Florida creditors attempting to collect a debt that they knew or should have known was uncollectable have to pay you a statutory penalty plus pay your attorney fees and costs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
"Verification of the debt" is really meaningless.  Especially if the creditor is attempting to collect by suit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

True, if they really are trying to serve papers then it's time to lawyer up.  I wonder if OP could countersue for the cost of defending himself?

My gut tells me this person wasn't really serving papers though.  Collection agencies do all kind of lying, sleazy stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope I never signed or gave up a personal guarantee. I was just listed as the reference. I promise if I was one the loan I would own up to it but I ensure you I am not.

There would be no reason for me to ask anything if I was on the loan.

It has been 4 weeks since they tried and they have not tried again. I live an hour away from my mom so I would guess if they knew my correct address they would of already tried to serve me.

I have moved since I gave the reference .

How would one go about monitoring the court documents to make sure they dont get a default judgement against me?

Again I dont have the extra money to deal with a lawyer with this, especially if this is a attempt by the CA to scare the family(me) up to paying.

Waste of money.

Could I call the court house and ask to see if any summons papers have been issued?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

OP if you didn't sign a personal guarantee or otherwise obligate yourself to the loan call a lawyer familiar with the fair debt collections practices act.  Or if you are lucky your state will have a similar law.

Here in Florida creditors attempting to collect a debt that they knew or should have known was uncollectable have to pay you a statutory penalty plus pay your attorney fees and costs.
View Quote

I have, they are looking into it and will call me back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC there are alternate forms of service, including "service by publication", if they can't find you.  Basically they just have to put a public notice in the local newspaper of record.

Also, is it possible for the CA to file in their local jurisdiction rather than the OP's or his deceased father's?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nope I never signed or gave up a personal guarantee. I was just listed as the reference. I promise if I was one the loan I would own up to it but I ensure you I am not.
It has been 4 weeks since they tried and they have not tried again. I live an hour away from my mom so I would guess if they knew my correct address they would of already tried to serve me.

How would one go about monitoring the court documents to make sure they dont get a default judgement against me?
Again I dont have the extra money to deal with a lawyer with this, especially if this is a attempt by the CA to scare the family(me) up to paying.
Waste of money.

Could I call the court house and ask to see if any summons papers have been issued?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste of money.

Why don't you start by calling the constable and see what he wanted?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waste of money.

Until I get proof that he is a Constable then that is not happening.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The estate should have paid the loan.
Absent your actual signeture they are bluffing and you have no liability.
they could try and chase down the executor of the estate, but that is one of the reasons death notices and estate closings are published.
It puts creditors on notice to make their claims.
If the executor did not know of the loans existence it may have been erased.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have name/contact info for the constable, contact the appointing authority (or ask the local clerk of court who to contact) to verify he's "real". Yes, CAs and process servers regularly lie about who they are and what they are doing. CAs regularly shake down innocent people trying to extort money from them.

I am a Constable in MA and MA laws allow publication in a paper of record in lieu of serving the person, then the case goes forward and the person loses since they had no clue they were being sued. At that point the judgement is legal against them regardless of validity. Therefore it behooves the OP to be on top of this, otherwise he could become liable for the debt even though the debt is bogus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
they could try and chase down the executor of the estate, but that is one of the reasons death notices and estate closings are published.
View Quote

What if OP's father's estate was never probated?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like HE screwed up then.
Still not liable though.

Send the a registered letter response that tells them to pound sand, and any further contact is to be IN WRITING through YOUR ATTORNEY.
You Do have an attorney, right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I am sending another certified to the lender and CA.

I called the Sheriffs office in my mom's county.

They have never heard of the guy and the phone number he gave matches no one on file.

The also told me that the name is not in the state database either.

I guess I get to have a little fun with the guy. Wonder if I should call it.

Side note, nothing has been processed through the court regarding my name, in my residence county or my mom's.

Looks like another sleazy creditor trying to falsely collect.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Does your state allow you to go after the CA for damages if they try to falsely collect?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
In that case I'd call the AG's office, dept of consumer affairs in your state and file a formal complaint against the company and the guy who illegally mis-represented himself. Also ask them if your laws allow a consumer protection lawsuit with double/triple damages. If so, filing that will get their attention.

Sounds like a Chicago-style shake-down to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you have name/contact info for the constable, contact the appointing authority (or ask the local clerk of court who to contact) to verify he's "real". Yes, CAs and process servers regularly lie about who they are and what they are doing. CAs regularly shake down innocent people trying to extort money from them.

I am a Constable in MA and MA laws allow publication in a paper of record in lieu of serving the person, then the case goes forward and the person loses since they had no clue they were being sued. At that point the judgement is legal against them regardless of validity. Therefore it behooves the OP to be on top of this, otherwise he could become liable for the debt even though the debt is bogus.
View Quote

That is one of the most corrupt things I have ever heard of. who the hell reads the paper, never mind all those fine print notices.

How can someone be sued when they have no opportunity to defend them self?

How can anyone defend them self against a secret?

Is one expected to have to buy a paler every day to see if they are being sued?

I live in this POS state too. How does someone protect themselves from that?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is one of the most corrupt things I have ever heard of. who the hell reads the paper, never mind all those fine print notices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda find it hard to believe if I sue Tom Brady for 100 Million and have the notice printed in the paper and he does not show, I have a valid debt against him. If it were true, everyone who hates Bosox, Pats. Celtics, kennedy's etc would be filing suit every day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's to allow the plaintiff a way to protect his interest. Civil suits have a statute of limitations, ie you have a limited time period to file suit. It may differ by state, but usually "public notice" via the newspaper is only used when the plaintiff has attempted to serve the defendant but is unable to find him. The plaintiff must make a good faith effort to locate the other party...,,,,and documentation is required.

And while the plaintiff may win by default, it doesn't mean the defendant has no right to appeal or that the judgment can be collected. If you can't find the defendant to serve notice of suit, what makes you think you'll get have better luck collecting your judgment?

If you find that a default judgment has been ordered against you and you weren't properly served or can show that the plaintiff made no good faith effort to serve you, you need an attorney to file a motion to have the judgment set aside.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I kinda find it hard to believe if I sue Tom Brady for 100 Million and have the notice printed in the paper and he does not show, I have a valid debt against him. If it were true, everyone who hates Bosox, Pats. Celtics, kennedy's etc would be filing suit every day.
View Quote

1. It cost $$$ to file a suit.
2. It cost $$$ to pay for a newspaper legal notice.
3. File a frivolous suit and the judge may spank the plaintiff for $$$$ or bar him from filing further suits.
4. It may take Tom Brady's lawyer all of an hour to have the judgment reversed or set aside.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In that case I'd call the AG's office, dept of consumer affairs in your state and file a formal complaint against the company and the guy who illegally mis-represented himself. Also ask them if your laws allow a consumer protection lawsuit with double/triple damages. If so, filing that will get their attention.

Sounds like a Chicago-style shake-down to me.

View Quote

I am planning that Monday morning. After the complaint though I am dropping it....unless they start back up again.

Not worth the time nor effort to sue them. If they want to act sleazy then be my guest, they will have to pay for it eventually, just not by my hand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They have never heard of the guy and the phone number he gave matches no one on file.

Side note, nothing has been processed through the court regarding my name, in my residence county or my mom's.

View Quote

OP, what the fuck did the sheriff's office have to say that somebody is impersonating an office and they have his fucking # are going to do about it?  Are you fucking kidding me....I'm calling BS.  No fucking way they would let that go.  Go file a fucking complaint and call the fucking Attorney General.

Edit that I didn't read 2nd page before I posted, but somebody above stated the same thing....TN is fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#34]
What's the amount they are due?

The collection company is going after low hanging fruit.  Probably hoping you will pay to make them go away.  Ignore them and they will give up. (Don't ignore a law suit , but they won't file).  They know they can get away with a certain amount of harassment.

The debt was probably sold to the collection company, so talking to the original company is useless.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OP, what the fuck did the sheriff's office have to say that somebody is impersonating an office and they have his fucking # are going to do about it?  Are you fucking kidding me....I'm calling BS.  No fucking way they would let that go.  Go file a fucking complaint and call the fucking Attorney General.

Edit that I didn't read 2nd page before I posted, but somebody above stated the same thing....TN is fucked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They took a report and sent someone to Mom's house to get the rest. Mom works in Florida at the moment so they will have to call to get her statement.

I gave them the guys number and name. After they took my statement they are handling it.

I have talked to the Attorney General. They are handling it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup...this.  I had a creditor default on a repayment agreement we had arranged.  I was in worse financial situation then than now.  I wasn't trying to not pay it just asking to modify the terms to give them what I could afford to.  They turned it over to a company that outright harassed me with verbal threats and calling me names.  I called an attorney friend of mine who sent him a letter and I never heard form the again.  Another company picked it up and were VERY nice to work with.  

Call a lawyer a lot of them who specialize in this stuff will do it for free because there are penalties if they continue to harass you after being represented.  That's where the money is for the lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh, bonus if the CA was impersonating a town, city, or county constable.   No different than impersonating a police officer or deputy sheriff.  I would love to have that conversation on tape (if legal in the area).
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh, bonus if the CA was impersonating a town, city, or county constable.   No different than impersonating a police officer or deputy sheriff.  I would love to have that conversation on tape (if legal in the area).
View Quote

TN constables are peace officers.  

OP, go here and pick the guy out:    http://tennesseeconstablecouncil.org/id3.html

The debt was probably sold to a debt collection agency who then research the heirs of his estate and found you.  If it is a valid debt of your dad's upon his death, they may have a valid case against his estate and heirs. Check TN's laws on this.  If they skipped your mother, my guess is that they were divorced prior to the loan and she was not a heir to the estate.  

You leave too much out of the information you gave in the original post such as was the debt claimed/paid in probate, your father was broke at the time of his debt and there was no inheritance, etc.

With the over-abundance of lawyers that are out of a job, or not fully employed, buying bundled debt for a few bucks and see what can be collected is very popular since the downturn.  My guess is that your mother met one such collection agency that is a small group of lawyers in the local area, or affiliated with a national collection agency trying to generate some revenue for the firm/themselves.

TN laws require that you be served with the summons and a copy of the compliant by an uninterested party.  If you are evasive, they can leave a copy of both with an adult and proceed with the civil lawsuit in court.  However, it sounds like they know where you live since you have sent them certified mail.  Why don't they show up at your door?  If they proceed, they will have to lie to the court on your current residence to show that you live or reasonable lived there.  

This, of course, assumes you used your current address for written correspondence.  Maybe you used your mother's address hoping to keep yourself anonymous, geographically?  If so, you're screwed as they will have good cause to leave the summons and complaint with your mother and move forward with a court date.

A subpoena is different.  Maybe your mother is confused?

Your best bet is to get out of the shadows, and continue to ask for validation of debt per federal law and provide a copy of the bank loan agreement and his death certificate.  Using a lawyer would be better if you can afford it.  If the debt was valid at the time of your fathers death, and the probate process ignored the debt while there was assets to pay some or all, and you were the executioner of the estate or heir, you need to understand this and how to move ahead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top