Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2014 6:04:19 PM EDT
Is it legal to ship my ar15 with no stock to an FFL? I am under 21, selling ar15 (without stock assembly and buffer tube) to someone over 21 and assuming that this will be legal. I know it turns into a pistol when the stock is removed, so that is why I am a little curious with my being under 21.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not a pistol. Its a rifle with no stock
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
ok. at what point does it become a pistol? when it has a short barrel?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What rifle is it? How long is barrel and how long is it without stock?

You could always ship the upper to his house and ship the lower to the ffl if youre not comfortable
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a stock 6920 16'' barrel minus the buffer tube and stock. I am comfortable as long as it is legal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
No, it can't become a pistol, b/c it started as a rifle.  When you take the stock off, it's a still a rifle.

When I take my stock off, my rifle becomes a pistol, b/c I very carefully built it as a pistol before I turned it into a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
K just want to stay ahead of the law with this. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it become an SBR if its under 26 total without the stock?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure. If anyone knows feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It depends.  If you saw off 2" of an 18" bullpup bbl, so it has a 16" bbl, but is now 24" long, yes.  If you remove the stock from an Uzi carbine, no.  It's just disassembled.  OAL is measured w/ the stock extended, hence an Uzi carbine folds to 24.4", I believe.

The NFA was never intended to deal w/ the flexibility inherent in modern firearms.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it legal to ship my ar15 with no stock to an FFL? Yes

I am under 21, selling ar15 (without stock assembly and buffer tube) to someone over 21 and assuming that this will be legal. It is

I know it turns into a pistol when the stock is removed, No, it doesn't.

so that is why I am a little curious with my being under 21has no bearing on shipping whatsoever..
View Quote

<----FFL BTW
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=70394195a3edf623eba7ce77a1bddff1&node=27:3.0.1.2.3&rgn=div5#27:3.0.1.2.3.2
Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

If your rifle started out as a pistol AR, you could build it into a rifle and subsequently convert it back into a pistol. If your rifle started out as a rifle it remains a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, rifles are measured with the stock attached and if adjustable, open or fully extended.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  If your rifle started out as a pistol AR, you could build it into a rifle and subsequently convert it back into a pistol. If your rifle started out as a rifle it remains a rifle.
View Quote

See, this is one of the many things about NFA that confuses people.  If I take the stock of my AR, it becomes a 16" bbl ungainly pistol, b/c it started life as a pistol.  If OP takes his stock off, it's still a rifle, b/c it started life as a rifle.  Side by side, w/ the stocks off, they look identical.  It's purely a legal distinction.

I'd love to see a set of pics, photoshopped if necessary, of an AR receiver, progressing through all the different stages of the NFA, from 80%, to pistol, to firearm, to PG shotgun, to sub-18" bbl PG shotgun, to shotgun, to rifle, to AOW, to SBS, to SBR, to machinegun (w/ RDIAS).  Nearly all the pictures would be identical.  I think similar things can be done w/ the T/C Contender & Encore, albeit not the machinegun bit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, thanks for clearing it up. Thought it was technically a but it is not.  I called my local AFT agent and he said that since it still had a 16" barrel it was good to go. Also, (like you all pointed out) it started life as a rifle, so it is a rifle with no stock, not a pistol. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Postal regs deal with concealability.
They are NOT the same as BATFE regs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Situations like this confuse USPS workers.  Best to ship assembled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top