Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 3:18:47 PM EDT
RPD 100 round belt and Ohio 31 round limit.
Can someone direct me to the form needed to make a semi RPD a NFA item as to allow the full use of the 100 round belts

thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can someone direct me to the form needed to make a semi RPD a NFA item as to allow the full use of the 100 round belts

thanks
View Quote

If you are planning on making it a short-barreled rifle, you need to fill out ATF Form 1, send them a check, and wait many months.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are planning on making it a short-barreled rifle, you need to fill out ATF Form 1, send them a check, and wait many months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

can I make it a destructive device to negate the 30 round limit?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you plan on making it a destructive device?

I honestly don't know if you can have something "declared" an NFA item without actually turning it into an NFA item.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
by putting the loaded 100 round belt in it makes it a machine gun/ destructive device per ohio law.  

I want to make it a NFA item by using the 100 round belts
I do not want to alter the firearm in any other way
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know if you can have something "declared" an NFA item without actually turning it into an NFA item.
View Quote

You have to file the paperwork (and get approved, get the stamp) before you "make" the NFA item....like a SBR.  So yes, your weapon can be declared NFA, and not yet be of a configuration that is NFA regulated.  Having a tax stamp only says you have a weapon that can be configured in such a way that it meets the requirements of being an NFA weapon.  

For instance, you can get an SBS tax stamp, and have an 18" barrel on that shotgun.  You cannot put the SBS barrel on it before you have the stamp, so therefore, the shotgun MUST be declared NFA BEFORE it is configured as such, unless it is sold in that configuration, necessitating the NFA paperwork be done before transfer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You have to file the paperwork (and get approved, get the stamp) before you "make" the NFA item....like a SBR.  So yes, your weapon can be declared NFA, and not yet be of a configuration that is NFA regulated.  Having a tax stamp only says you have a weapon that can be configured in such a way that it meets the requirements of being an NFA weapon.  

For instance, you can get an SBS tax stamp, and have an 18" barrel on that shotgun.  You cannot put the SBS barrel on it before you have the stamp, so therefore, the shotgun MUST be declared NFA BEFORE it is configured as such, unless it is sold in that configuration, necessitating the NFA paperwork be done before transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understand all that.  No 100 round dumps till I get the stamp

What form am I to fill out and send in to the ATF that will allow the use of 100 round belts in and negate the 30 round limit in ohio?

I understand the Law.  I just want to know what form I have to fill out , pay $200 , and wait a year to get back.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What form am I to fill out and send in to the ATF that will allow the use of 100 round belts in and negate the 30 round limit in ohio?

I understand the Law.  I just want to know what form I have to fill out , pay $200 , and wait a year to get back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Answered in my first post: ATF Form 1
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form 1 thank you
You mentioned making a SBR which threw me off as I do not wish to make a SBR and never mentioned it in orig post

So what do I do?  Form 1 asking to make a SBR, get approval ,get stamp but don't SBR the rifle but since its a NFA item that will negate the ohio 30 round limit ?

I hate writing the ATF.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Form 1 thank you
You mentioned making a SBR which threw me off as I do not wish to make a SBR and never mentioned it in orig post

So what do I do?  Form 1 asking to make a SBR, get approval ,get stamp but don't SBR the rifle but since its a NFA item that will negate the ohio 30 round limit ?

I hate writing the ATF.

View Quote

I'd be careful with that. According to ATF, it is not an SBR when it has a 16" or longer barrel on it. You may need to cut the barrel to 15.99" in order to make it legal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Question 4b  what type of firearm?

The term “firearm” means: (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device.

1 no
2 no
3 no
4 no
5 ?  have to read 18 U.S.C. 5845(e)  
6 no
7 ?  permanently attach a suppressor ?
8?  what's a destructive device ?  might I have a destructive device due to the large belt capacity?   Though I believe Ohio law states that anything over 31 rounds is a machine gun not a destructive device.

Looks like I am probably screwed on this deal

Edit/update
5-7-8 no
so I have to break up a few belts
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#11]
That's ultimately what I was trying to get at, I don't know what the ATF would think if you Form 1'd your gun but never turned it into an NFA item.  I mentioned SBRing it because that's about the only thing you can do that would make it an actual NFA item.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top