Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2014 1:06:31 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have a two pronged question:
1) I am pretty sure but it is possible to get an NFA weapon/device without having an NFA trust correct?
I went to a local gun shop(iffy place) and asked about getting the paperwork started, since they offered. They then told me I NEEDED and NFA trust. They would do it for $300 measly dollars, while others do it for $200. BUT they warned me if I had it done elsewhere there was a chance that they would have to redo it.

2) (assuming the above is correct) Could I get an NFA weapon right now, then in a few years create an NFA trust and put the weapon under the control of the trust? I have my heart set on a particular SBR and have for a couple of years now. Being in school I finally have the funds saved up to complete it, but creating an NFA trust would detract enough to not be able to do something. Not to mention that's a healthy portion of my monthly rent so it would not just take away from my rifle now but from anything else.

Thank you for your legal advice,
-John
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You skipped over the issue of whether or not your local CLEO would sign off on an NFA application.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need a trust if you can get a CLEO sign off.  Them saying you need theirs is a load of crap, as long as the other trust is valid.

You can transfer the item to the trust later, but it is another transfer and another $200 tax stamp.  You cannot just assign an NFA item in your name to a trust and call it good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top