Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2014 1:49:48 AM EDT
My wife and I are considering spending a year in the Isle of Man after I retire, and I'm looking for some solid information on what I can and cannot have while I'm living there.

My initial Google-fu seems to indicate that handguns are out.  So are self-loading shotguns, shotguns with a magazine capacity of over two rounds, shotguns with barrel length under 24", shotgun slugs, and any shot larger than bird shot.  So are self-loading rifles over .22 rimfire.

My initial thoughts on this made me think of maybe a lever-action .30-30 like Mossberg's 464 SPX, with a Surefire X300 Ultra and an illuminated-reticle low variable-power 3-gun type rifle scope.

But now I'm wondering if my current fully-pimped M4 would be legal there, if I run a bolt carrier with the carrier key gas passage blocked.  Not quite as fast as a lever gun from shot to shot, but it would make up a lot of time on the reloads.  A side-charging bolt carrier with a matching slotted upper receiver would make shot to shot speed comparable to a lever gun, and would still be much faster on the reloads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Email at this link will give you all the info you need

http://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/emergency-services/police/police-support-services/firearms/
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Just sent an e-mail, eh.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It does not really matter.  If you shoot someone you are going to prison no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife and I are considering spending a year in the Isle of Man after I retire, and I'm looking for some solid information on what I can and cannot have while I'm living there.

My initial Google-fu seems to indicate that handguns are out.  So are self-loading shotguns, shotguns with a magazine capacity of over two rounds, shotguns with barrel length under 24", shotgun slugs, and any shot larger than bird shot.  So are self-loading rifles over .22 rimfire.

My initial thoughts on this made me think of maybe a lever-action .30-30 like Mossberg's 464 SPX, with a Surefire X300 Ultra and an illuminated-reticle low variable-power 3-gun type rifle scope.

But now I'm wondering if my current fully-pimped M4 would be legal there, if I run a bolt carrier with the carrier key gas passage blocked.  Not quite as fast as a lever gun from shot to shot, but it would make up a lot of time on the reloads.  A side-charging bolt carrier with a matching slotted upper receiver would make shot to shot speed comparable to a lever gun, and would still be much faster on the reloads.
View Quote

That's a quick summary of UK law but the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK (that surprised you) and it has its own firearm legislation.  Handguns are legal there.  However it has been pointed out that in most cases importing your firearms into your new country of temporary residence isn't often the problem, the real problem is when you want to take them back home to America.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a quick summary of UK law but the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK (that surprised you) and it has its own firearm legislation.  Handguns are legal there.  However it has been pointed out that in most cases importing your firearms into your new country of temporary residence isn't often the problem, the real problem is when you want to take them back home to America.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that? I have personally been involved in taking firearms out of the United States for an overseas trade show, we brought them back no problem.  It's just a matter of carefully filling out the right customs paperwork before leaving.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...but the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK (that surprised you) and it has its own firearm legislation.
View Quote

I am aware that the Isle Of Man is a self-governing British Crown dependency.

I'd like to find the text of their gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but importing any firearms for non-hunting purposes into the U.K./Isle of Man is probably not going to be received well by the U.K. Authorities.  They reluctantly allow guns in for hunting at game estates with a huge amount of paperwork and legal approval processes, so much so that most game preserves/estates provide firearms on-site for those lucky enough to acquire hunting permits ( that in itself is a huge process, can't stress how different it is from anything in the U.S.).

I looked into bringing a rifle into the UK for a hunt in Scotland and gave up, just way too many hurdles.  Bringing a gun for defense ?  Not likely to be approved.  (By 'not likely to be approved' I mean 'WILL NOT BE APPROVED'). Even if you tell them the .30-30 is for hunting you'd have to have documented and approved hunting permits, gun would in all likelihood have to be kept at the hunting estate.  If it was EVER used for defensive purposes a shitstorm of epic proportions would ensue.  Legal gun-owning Britons get fucked over insanely for any non-sporting use of their guns, as a foreign visitor I don't think you'd fare any better (If not much much worse).
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I rent a room during the TT
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can I rent a room during the TT
View Quote

I'll split it with you.

I'm saving every penny to go next year for the week. Scrape enough and I'll hire a bike and ride the course.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#10]
No idea, but if I'm remembering right, it's good to see you back!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top