Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 4:29:33 PM EDT
Well my wife and I would like to take a weekend trip to Gettysburg, PA soon and I am trying to figure out if I can take my pistol.

I have a M&P9c w/ 12 rd magazine.

I have a VA CC Permit.

I checked and in PA I will be fine on my VA permit however MD does NOT honor VA Permits

My car gets good enough mileage that we will not have to make a stop in MD. I know that the FOPA law protects interstate transportation of firearms through a state as long as I do not stop in the state. When I reach the border of VA and MD I plan on locking the pistol in a box in the trunk and throwing the magazine in a separate lock box in the trunk to be in compliance with Federal Law.

My question comes into play with the 12rd Magazine. Does anyone know if FOPA covers the magazine since MD prohibits any Magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds and by the pistol have a detachable 10+ round magazine it is classified by the state of MD as an "Assault Pistol."

My travels normally take me to southern states that accept my permit so this normally isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always just driven through with it locked in the trunk, recently did it with an HK and 15 round mag. So tagged for actual legal method of transport with standard capacity mags.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea but the text of FOPA only states "firearm", there is no mention of accessories.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this link, seems we are fine driving through MD with these mags, and even MD residents can travel out of state and buy standard capacity mags and bring them back in to the state for personal use. So possession of mags with a capacity of more than 10 rounds isn't a crime, but manufacture, sale, purchase or transfer in MD's borders is illegal.

Thread is dated 3 days ago and is current info.

MD Shooters Link
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found this link, seems we are fine driving through MD with these mags, and even MD residents can travel out of state and buy standard capacity mags and bring them back in to the state for personal use. So possession of mags with a capacity of more than 10 rounds isn't a crime, but manufacture, sale, purchase or transfer in MD's borders is illegal.

Thread is dated 3 days ago and is current info.

MD Shooters Link
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for that. Clears it up a little and makes me a little more comfortable with passing through the state. I will just make sure I obey all traffic laws so I won't get pulled over and complicate things. Not sure my command would be very happy if I picked up weapons charges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top