Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 4:09:37 PM EDT
I figure this is the most relevant place to post.

I am a junior undergraduate looking to apply to Law School. Currently Im looking at Kansas University, University of Wyoming, and University of Kansas. I am getting a B.S. in Agricultural Communications in May '15 form Texas A&M (WHOOP!) and I am looking at J.D./Environmental/Natural Resources dual-degree programs.

Will they be looking at my overall GPA (I transferred several schools, St Marys in SA to Blinn CC, then Unic Phoenix online and then to A&M) Overall I have 49 transfer hours before coming to Texas A&M. Being in the Corps, my GPA is around a 2.7 and on the rise. I anticipate graduating with around a 3.1 or 3.2

My OVERALL GPA including transfer work is around a 2.9, but transfer courses don't count to my GPA at TAMU. I know Law School is going to want ALL transcripts. Will they factor my OVERALL GPA or just my graduating GPA?

Im also buying a book called Mastering the LSAT and plan to study it for a few months before taking the LSAT. Any other suggestions for the LSAT to help?

Thanks and Gig Em!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you intend to do with your law degree?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Make a trip to meet with the admissions dean. There are many tiers of law schools and not all are looking for exactly the same thing but generally speaking the LSAT is king followed by where did you graduate from what was your major and your GPA and how do you help our diversity stats.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make a trip to meet with the admissions dean. There are many tiers of law schools and not all are looking for exactly the same thing but generally speaking the LSAT is king followed by where did you graduate from what was your major and your GPA and how do you help our diversity stats.
View Quote

Good idea. Ill call their office and see if I can talk with someone. The trip out there is a matter of time and money that I am currently short of :(

Any suggestions on taking the LSAT?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good idea. Ill call their office and see if I can talk with someone. The trip out there is a matter of time and money that I am currently short of :(

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are commercial courses to help prep fir the LSAT. The LSAT is basically the same questions in different form each year. Each question type has its own strategy. Learn the strategies and how to recognize question types.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are commercial courses to help prep fir the LSAT. The LSAT is basically the same questions in different form each year. Each question type has its own strategy. Learn the strategies and how to recognize question types.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a book called "Master the LSAT" and has like 8-10 of last years tests. Im going to work on about half of them during my free time, and the others I will try to simulate doing them timed.

Kaplan courses are EXPENSIVE, are there any other good programs?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't stress how important the LSAT is on your admissions process and scholarship.

Take powerscore! It paid dividends for my legal education.

I wouldn't go unless I scored >159 these days.  Trust me, it is not a great degree/profession.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't stress how important the LSAT is on your admissions process and scholarship.

Take powerscore! It paid dividends for my legal education.

I wouldn't go unless I scored >159 these days.  Trust me, it is not a great degree/profession.
View Quote

I have heard that about the profession. I am looking at doing environmental policy, and would like it as a supplemental for a masters.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A 2.7 GPA is practically genius level for the marine corps, I know,mbut it isn't gonna carry much water with the admissions committee.  Better knock the LSAT outta the park.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck on the LSAT. I suggest taking a commercial course and learning the strategies to master it. However, as a recent admission to the bar let me paint you a really clear picture of the other side of the fence.

First, the job market his horrible for lawyers right now. If you are not in a top tier school, it will be very difficult for you to find a job. I went to a tier 2 schools, and MANY of my fellow classmates still have yet to find a legal job. Most are living at home, or working crappy minimum wage type jobs.

Second, if you are doing it for financial reasons, somebody has misled you. I make less money as an attorney now, than I did before law school. More importantly, I was debt free. Most lawyers I know do not drive new cars, and don't have thousand dollar watches on their wrists. Go talk with lawyers in that field. Get a good feel on what exactly it is they do, and make sure it is something you want to do. Look at what they drive and what they wear, as you will have similar income levels with your peers.  

Third, it will be close to impossible to get into the certain type of law you want to be in right off the bat.  There just are not that many openings at boutique firms unless you have a serious connection, or share a similar IQ score with Richard Epstein.

When I was applying for law school I thought I wanted to be a business lawyer, and never step foot in a courtroom. I even had an MBA.  I takes with people in the field, and realized I didn't want to be at a desk writing memos for the rest of my life. I am now a trial attorney, and make less money now than before going to law school, and I could not be happier with my decision.  

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Scrape up some cash  and take the LSAT class.  It helped me big time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm about to graduate from law school.

Good luck if you decide its what you want to do. Be as fiscally conservative as you can.

I went nights and I have a huge bill because I was stupid. Fortunately I think I have a job working at a place that I fit in very well at.

My GPA from college was about where yours is but within my major it was a 3.2 or something. The LSAT is what most schools look at first. Study hard. My girlfriend didn't have the money to take a class but got a book from Barnes and Noble and studied a lot. She scored a 16X and got into a very good school with a great scholarship.

MAKE SURE ITS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I SHOULD have taken the LSAT class and didn't, then again I probably would have ended up in roughly the same situation...get ready for 70 hour weeks and losing your hair I guess...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top