Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2014 9:32:43 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I have recently been inquiring about getting an NFA gun trust. I am talking with the folks at guntrust.com to get it set up. What I am wondering, because I haven't received a response from them yet is, as an active duty service member, since we are prone to moving around a lot, do I have to change the address on the trust every time I move?

I'm sure this has been asked before some where in the threads, but couldn't find anything.

Don't be to harsh on me with your response, I am a NFA gun trust noob
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I have recently been inquiring about getting an NFA gun trust. I am talking with the folks at guntrust.com to get it set up. What I am wondering, because I haven't received a response from them yet is, as an active duty service member, since we are prone to moving around a lot, do I have to change the address on the trust every time I move?

I'm sure this has been asked before some where in the threads, but couldn't find anything.

Don't be to harsh on me with your response, I am a NFA gun trust noob
View Quote

Trusts are controlled under state laws. So it's doubtful that a 'generic' trust will be valid in another state. Might be better to contact a 'real' local-ish NFA attorney.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trusts are controlled under state laws. So it's doubtful that a 'generic' trust will be valid in another state. Might be better to contact a 'real' local-ish NFA attorney.
View Quote

Trusts are governed by state law but a correctly drafted trust should be valid in most states.  That a trust may be used to hold property that is going to move across state lines would be something that should be discussed with the attorney drafting it.  A good example where using forms software is a bad practice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
A good trust lawyer can answer your question.
My advice is to conatct David Goldman, at guntrustlawyer.com and see what he recommends.
As a military member, you have specific rights which a cookie cutter software based trust will not cover.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
So sbreen417 did you figure anything out?  I'm in the same situation traveling the same path?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I would second the recommendation to consult a good lawyer, but what has worked for me through 3 PCS moves was to establish my trust in my state of legal residence. Every time I acquire a new NFA weapon or receive new PCS orders I enclose a copy of my orders along with a letter explaining my situation and to date I haven't had any trouble with the BATFE or the states I have lived in.

Louisiana required NFA weapons to be registered with the State Police until last august and I took the same approach with them and it was actually the easiest part of my move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top