Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2012 12:42:31 PM EDT
Anyone know which states prohibit a civilian from owning these plates?  I had a marine tell me today it wasn't legal for him to sell them to me.  I was surprised.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anyone know which states prohibit a civilian from owning these plates?  I had a marine tell me today it wasn't legal for him to sell them to me.  I was surprised.

Because of state law, or because they would be stolen Government property?

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't you ask this a few hours back?  If no one knows here, try the Tactical Gear forum under the Armory Section
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I might be wrong on this but what was explained to me was that esapi and military plates were never realesed to DRMO so there should be none in the civilian market.in other words all the ones floating around were obtained by other means. Same aplys to body armor in general if it has a s/n / nsn or had one removed. I think E&E actually requiers you to take a pic of the tag as to let OSI verify that it is not stolen property. Also if you buy stolen military property even if you had no idea it was stolen you will loose that item. And good luck getting your money back from the seller.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I might be wrong on this but what was explained to me was that esapi and military plates were never realesed to DRMO so there should be none in the civilian market.in other words all the ones floating around were obtained by other means. Same aplys to body armor in general if it has a s/n / nsn or had one removed. I think E&E actually requiers you to take a pic of the tag as to let OSI verify that it is not stolen property. Also if you buy stolen military property even if you had no idea it was stolen you will loose that item. And good luck getting your money back from the seller.

Both SAPI and ESAPI plates are sold commercially by Paraclete.  I purchased a set of ESAPIs from them prior to my last trip abroad as my Agency didn't have my size and wasn't getting any.  

They ran about 900 bucks a plate and are marked ESAPI but the covering was black vice the military green.  Same plate, same performance...but sold commercially.

Now, I don't know if they were sold to non LEO/Gov employees though...

Either way, I wouldn't say that ALL of the plates floating around are stolen...but a lot probably are.  

Heck, I looked into selling my plates since I didn't even end up wearing them and with all the ZOMG ESAPIs are illegal!!!, you would have thought I was trying to sell launch codes for a missile or something.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
ITAR item?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ITAR item?

I think so too, although I've not looked lately.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes Itar restricted.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
http://bulletproofme.com/

This is a company that sells all sorts of body armor to include SAPI.

Brandon
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://bulletproofme.com/

This is a company that sells all sorts of body armor to include SAPI.

Brandon

You beat me to it Brandon. It is a good company and will ask questions in regards to the type of vest you wear to make sure you get the correct plates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes Itar restricted.

Aren't MagPul DVDs ITAR restricted?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes Itar restricted.

Aren't MagPul DVDs ITAR restricted?

Functionally yes...but I doubt it would get charged (not official advice, just guessing).  I don't do ITAR so I really can't say.  

IMO, ITAR is a broad issue...so get formal advice before acting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The laws I've against body armor only apply to an additional charge if commiting a felony and wearing body armor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top