Author
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:42:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2012 11:42:31 AM EST by Aimless]
Anyone know which states prohibit a civilian from owning these plates? I had a marine tell me today it wasn't legal for him to sell them to me. I was surprised.
Madcap72
I wish all the ladies, were holes in the road...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:38:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By jb2c:
Anyone know which states prohibit a civilian from owning these plates? I had a marine tell me today it wasn't legal for him to sell them to me. I was surprised.

Because of state law, or because they would be stolen Government property?
* Denotes Sarcasm, and or tongue in cheek humor. Do not take too seriously. Misunderstanding the use of sarcasm is a leading cause of "internet tough guy syndrome". Other side effects include; confused replies, butt hurt feelings, and anal
dcs12345
KABOOM!!!!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:44:32 AM EST
Didn't you ask this a few hours back? If no one knows here, try the Tactical Gear forum under the Armory Section
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.
~John Adams
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:44:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2012 11:46:07 AM EST by Aimless]

Originally Posted By jb2c:

I have no idea what states prohibit owning body armor. I have only seen states that prohibit wearing body armor while committing a crime. There is some kind of urban legend that SAPI plates are not legal to possess, you even hear it from law enforcement officers.

A lot of SAPI plates are stolen and resold by people in the military, those would be illegal to possess if you knew they were stolen, just like any other stolen merchandise. If you are buying them from someone in the military most often they stolen. Ask for a copy of a receipt if he claims he bought them.
John Willis OSOE http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/929579_John_Willis__OSOE.html
jayfitt
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 9:13:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/21/2012 9:15:26 AM EST by jayfitt]
I might be wrong on this but what was explained to me was that esapi and military plates were never realesed to DRMO so there should be none in the civilian market.in other words all the ones floating around were obtained by other means. Same aplys to body armor in general if it has a s/n / nsn or had one removed. I think E&E actually requiers you to take a pic of the tag as to let OSI verify that it is not stolen property. Also if you buy stolen military property even if you had no idea it was stolen you will loose that item. And good luck getting your money back from the seller.
FedDC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 9:19:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/21/2012 6:44:31 PM EST by FedDC]
Originally Posted By jayfitt:
I might be wrong on this but what was explained to me was that esapi and military plates were never realesed to DRMO so there should be none in the civilian market.in other words all the ones floating around were obtained by other means. Same aplys to body armor in general if it has a s/n / nsn or had one removed. I think E&E actually requiers you to take a pic of the tag as to let OSI verify that it is not stolen property. Also if you buy stolen military property even if you had no idea it was stolen you will loose that item. And good luck getting your money back from the seller.

Both SAPI and ESAPI plates are sold commercially by Paraclete. I purchased a set of ESAPIs from them prior to my last trip abroad as my Agency didn't have my size and wasn't getting any.

They ran about 900 bucks a plate and are marked ESAPI but the covering was black vice the military green. Same plate, same performance...but sold commercially.

Now, I don't know if they were sold to non LEO/Gov employees though...

Either way, I wouldn't say that ALL of the plates floating around are stolen...but a lot probably are.

Heck, I looked into selling my plates since I didn't even end up wearing them and with all the ZOMG ESAPIs are illegal!!!, you would have thought I was trying to sell launch codes for a missile or something.

brickeyee
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 11:01:30 AM EST
ITAR item?
spqrzilla
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 2:48:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By brickeyee:
ITAR item?

I think so too, although I've not looked lately.
FedDC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2012 4:35:24 AM EST
Yes Itar restricted.
GunNutUSMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/12/2012 3:33:17 AM EST
http://bulletproofme.com/

This is a company that sells all sorts of body armor to include SAPI.

Brandon
kilounit
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2012 2:07:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By GunNutUSMC:
http://bulletproofme.com/

This is a company that sells all sorts of body armor to include SAPI.

Brandon

You beat me to it Brandon. It is a good company and will ask questions in regards to the type of vest you wear to make sure you get the correct plates.
CBR900
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2012 5:27:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Yes Itar restricted.

Aren't MagPul DVDs ITAR restricted?
FedDC
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2012 6:23:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By CBR900:
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Yes Itar restricted.

Aren't MagPul DVDs ITAR restricted?

Functionally yes...but I doubt it would get charged (not official advice, just guessing). I don't do ITAR so I really can't say.

IMO, ITAR is a broad issue...so get formal advice before acting.
TANGOCHASER
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2012 3:51:23 PM EST
The laws I've against body armor only apply to an additional charge if commiting a felony and wearing body armor.
كافر