Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 5:54:09 PM EDT
If you have a 20" pre-ban barrel with the two EVIL features, can you (personally, I mean) legally alter the barrel to a post-ban configuration?

Specifically, can you grind off the bayonet lug from the front sight and cut-off a piece of the barrel, thus removing the threaded portion?  Naturally, the remaining barrel would have to measure at least 16" long.

If these two operations were performed, would the barrel then be legally considered a post-ban barrel capable of being mounted on a post-ban lower?  Also, is it even legal to possess a naked pre-ban barrel (not mounted to an upper) in a home with only a post-ban lower?  Or, would the presence of these two in the same abode constitute a criminal violation?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for any answers.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup - you can trim the nasty features off your barrel to make a post ban barrel.  Having a preban barrel in the same house as a post ban rifle?  I think you're ok - I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't cut the barrel. Have an ATF approved brake/compensator installed that covers the threads.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top