Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 3/25/2001 11:12:05 PM EDT
OK, I know the following rules seem to apply but I need some clarification. I know a rifle must be 26" long. I know my preban AR fully collapsed with my 16" upper is 32.5 inches long. So why can't I mount an 11.5 inch barrel to my preban rifle unless the flash hider is permanantly attached? My math gives me a total length of 27" for this combo. Please explain this to me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:13:07 PM EDT
Damn, I didn't think it took me that long to type this...BTT
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 12:03:11 AM EDT
Its not the overall length thats the problem here, its the barrel length. The barrel must be at least 16", otherwise it is a short barreled rifle (regulated under the National Firearms Act) and must be registered as such. Title 18 contains the statutory definition... 18 USC 921(a)(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 12:23:40 AM EDT
Ohhh, Two different laws not two different interpretations of the same law. Much clearer now thanks.
Top Top