Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2010 3:07:36 PM EDT
Which one works better?

Can't use poison because the mouse is in the kitchen where the dogs hang out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had more luck with sticky traps than snap ones , mostly because I find myself having to rebait the snap traps, while just putting a glue trap in a area I know they frequent works much better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I am replying to all pest control threads tonight.

Both traps work well. Get both.

Wrap a little cheese cloth on the triggers of the snap traps and bait them with a small amount of peanut butter. Leave them unset for a day or two until you notice the mice taking the bait. Then rebait and set them.

Good luck!

ETA Use a quality trap like a Victor® not some off brand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't stand the glue traps. Call me a softy, but a snap trap is more humane. Get it over with quickly instead of making the mouse suffer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Snap traps + peanut butter = dead rats.

[/thread]

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's called "rat shot" for a reason!

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
They both work but it's kind of unpleasant to wake up to the screams of a mouse at 3 in the morning as it struggles on a glue trap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wrap a little cheese cloth on the triggers of the snap traps and bait them with a small amount of peanut butter. Leave them unset for a day or two until you notice the mice taking the bait. Then rebait and set them.

Good luck!

I work in the industry and this is correct.......but I have better luck with little pieces of Slim Jim as bait.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
i swear by the glue traps.

be sure to buy several packs of them and put them all over.

if you saw one mouse, i guarantee there are several more you haven't seen.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Glue traps work great in warm weather only.

A standard bait trap should be baited with ketchup.

A 5 gallon bucket or standard empty kitchen trash can works great with a board leaning up against it. The mouse or mice will die in 1/2 hour from the stress or be killed by the newer stronger mouse that kills it and eats eat. All withing hours of the second mouse falling in the bucket..
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Snap traps.

Glue traps keep the little buggers alive long enough for them to chew their stuck body parts off ... then they leave "trails" until they die.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Napalm!

Not really.  What ever, do not use those whiney have a heart traps.  What good is catching them and releasing them.  They just come back in, unless you take them way out into the country.  Then the local rodents will kill them.  Bet those animal rights weinies didn't think of that.

Peanut butter is the best bait.

Bilster
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

I work in the industry and this is correct.......but I have better luck with little pieces of Slim Jim as bait.

"step into a slim jim, OOOHH YEAAHH!!!"  
have both deployed outside the hole it chewed through my kitchen cabinet
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#14]
We have had lots of mice, becasue we live by a river and we foolishly keep pet food in the dogs dishes (like crack to mice)

These are the best two traps bar none:

1) TIN CAT:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page62.html

2) Mouse Masters:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page353.html

use peanut butter or pecan paste for bait. THe pecan stuff really works.
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page64.html

read about rodent control here:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page150.html

I don't have a vested interest in the specific company I am linking to here, but I purchased traps and bait from them twice I would highly reccommend them.

these are live catch traps. They work great because the mice are in the trap and they give off the vibes that hey we are partying with all this food. Other mice investigate and try to get in. I have caught five mice at a time. After you catch the mice, empthy mice in a half filled five gallon bucket of water. After the mice expire, I throw them in the alley for other wildlife to feed on them.

hope this helps

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They both work but it's kind of unpleasant to wake up to the screams of a mouse at 3 in the morning as it struggles on a glue trap.

Sounds like fucking VICTORY.

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Black powder mouse trap FTW!

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Create a bucket trap:

Take one 4 or 5 gallon bucket (or even a mop bucket will work as long as it's fairly tall) and put about 4" of water in it.  Across the top of the bucket fix a metal coat hanger or wire.  Take a plastic cup from 7-11 or some other place which has a sturdy plastic lid (we use the "kids cups" we get at restaurants), and punch a small hole in the center of the lid as well as the center of the bottom of the cup.  (it's often best to heat the wire and melt the hole through it)  Slide the cup over the coat hanger so it freely spins when you touch it.  Put a streak of peanut butter around the the circumference of the cup, and then lastly, lean a piece of wood up against the side of the bucket as a ramp.

Basically, the mouse/rat smells peanut butter, walks up ramp, jumps onto the cup, spins off it into the water, and then drowns.  No resetting of the trap, no glue, no almost getting your fingers whacked by the trap.  Just fish out the floaters every couple days and every week or two dump the water and refill it, depending upon how many swimmers you've had that week.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't stand the glue traps. Call me a softy, but a snap trap is more humane. Get it over with quickly instead of making the mouse suffer.

Ditto...

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had beter luck with glue traps with a dab of peanut butter in the center.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

better than the wife hounding me 24/7 to get that damn mouse...
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few years ago when we lived in Ohio we had a mouse problem.  They were traveling through the vents of the house and you could hear them at night running through the duct work.  I finally started setting traps in the duct work below the vents.  The first night I did this my wife and I were laying in bed around 10:30 when we heard "WHACK! thump thump thump thump thump thump thump......... thump....... and then silence."  Jenny wasn't amused, but I thought it was great, so I got out of bed, flushed the trespasser, and reset it.  I caught another one a few days later.  But yeah... that was the great sound of victory!

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
victor snap traps.  you have to mod the bait pad though, actually the little bent part that holds the set wire so it will go off easier.  just get some pliers and apply a little pressure to the V part. you will see it.

i use cheese and really stick it to the pad.  guaranteed kill.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I lived in a pretty run down house when I was at school in Michigan,  and we had a mouse problem.

I never had any luck with the sticky traps. We switched to snap traps, and by the morning we had 17 dead mice (obviously we had to reset the traps). Mouse problem solved, every last mouse was dead.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Create a bucket trap:

Take one 4 or 5 gallon bucket (or even a mop bucket will work as long as it's fairly tall) and put about 4" of water in it.  Across the top of the bucket fix a metal coat hanger or wire.  Take a plastic cup from 7-11 or some other place which has a sturdy plastic lid (we use the "kids cups" we get at restaurants), and punch a small hole in the center of the lid as well as the center of the bottom of the cup.  (it's often best to heat the wire and melt the hole through it)  Slide the cup over the coat hanger so it freely spins when you touch it.  Put a streak of peanut butter around the the circumference of the cup, and then lastly, lean a piece of wood up against the side of the bucket as a ramp.

Basically, the mouse/rat smells peanut butter, walks up ramp, jumps onto the cup, spins off it into the water, and then drowns.  No resetting of the trap, no glue, no almost getting your fingers whacked by the trap.  Just fish out the floaters every couple days and every week or two dump the water and refill it, depending upon how many swimmers you've had that week.

This

Since they are low maintenance bucket traps are great for your out buildings sheds, shops, green house..

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]

For awhile....

ETA Adding a squirt of dish soap to the water makes them drown faster.

OR... Just add ramen and bring to a slow boil for eastern cuisine!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I used a pelosi crow to great succes but i forgot it was there one night. I am a pair of boxers short...
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought mice can swim?

For awhile....

ETA Adding a squirt of dish soap to the water makes them drown faster.

OR... Just add ramen and bring to a slow boil for eastern cuisine!!!

Its because they panic to the point that they give themselves a heart attack. As long as they are wet they slip down the side of the bucket..

The second mouse probably was attracted by the curiosity factor of hearing the first mouse trying to get out.. When he showed up it wanted to get the food first. So it jumped to be first.

I have use my empty trash can outside and left for the half a day for fishing and found as many as three mice inside with one or two dead and partially eaten by the second or third mouse. As long as they have food to eat they will not panic as much.. Survival of the fittess.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#31]
*update* mouse is dead, caught by a snap trap w/ peanut butter last night
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
*update* mouse is dead, caught by a snap trap w/ peanut butter last night

You know there are more then one right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

i thought mice can swim?

Shit I can Fly for awhile too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#34]
The FIRST one is dead.  Last time I had a rodent infestation (now ex-wife bought grass seed and left it in the garage without telling me it was there) I killed six of the buggers with traps.  Treat it like any other mine setting exercise, find their avenues of travel and place the traps appropriately.  One trap was so well placed that I heard it trigger, removed the dead rodent, reset the trap, took the dead rodent out to the trash can, came in, sat down at my desk, heard it trigger again.  I think four of six of my kills were on that trap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I've never found the traps or glue stations to keep the rodent population under control.

I have dogs too and use these contraptions to kill the little rodent phawkers. Just put them somewhat out of the dogs reach and they'll work fine.

http://tomcatbrand.com/product/11-mouse-bait-station

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Black powder mouse trap FTW!

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/PH0540.jpg.JPG

How does that work,  that looks diabolic and I like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Mouses?? Where the mouses???

...why are your dogs not sorting the mouse problem for you?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#39]
get a cat, good for mice and hilarity!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Glue traps are really troubling to me, because the things struggle and suffer.

We used to use them around the office, and every morning I'd go around with a claw hammer to finish them off mercifully.  

But the hammerhead would then stick down to the glue, and the mouse brains, and general hideousness of it all.

I got it done though.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I would say go with the glue traps or the zapper traps.  The mice at my house are smart enough to steal the bait and not set off the traps.  Even if I bait them for a few days without setting them.  So I will be using some glue traps shortly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#42]
glue traps are the best by far.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I set a bunch of glue traps once to catch a mouse.

I caught my wife getting a drink of water in the middle of the night.

hilarity ensued.

relations did not.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Use snap traps instead of glue boards(cruelty cards)-you'll have to rebait more often, but it actually kills the mouse instead of keeping it stuck in one spot for hours or days until you think to check the trap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've never found the traps or glue stations to keep the rodent population under control.
I have dogs too and use these contraptions to kill the little rodent phawkers. Just put them somewhat out of the dogs reach and they'll work fine.

http://tomcatbrand.com/javascripts/tiny_mce/file_uploads/product_images/rodent_baits/BSMouseE650.jpg

EDIT: Note that I'm talking about their traditional style traps.

Tomcats suck!  Like me, they are too insensitive.  Shrews & field mice can eat the peanut butter off the trigger lever.  Go with Victor for a hair trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Use snap traps instead of glue boards(cruelty cards)-you'll have to rebait more often, but it actually kills the mouse instead of keeping it stuck in one spot for hours or days until you think to check the trap.

its a fuckin mouse. how hard is it to check your traps once a day?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I've seen mice that are way too small and never trip the snap traps, so I've always used glue.  F+S recommends rubbing some PB into twine and then tying it around the trigger for smaller mice in snap traps, haven't tried it yet.

We had a couple mice around when we moved into our house.  Adopted a cat and that was over in about 3 hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glue traps are really troubling to me, because the things struggle and suffer.

We used to use them around the office, and every morning I'd go around with a claw hammer to finish them off mercifully.  

But the hammerhead would then stick down to the glue, and the mouse brains, and general hideousness of it all.

I got it done though.

Seriously, Check out the Rat Zapper I bought my first one about 8-10 years ago, and it killed dozens of mice. It got loaned out and never returned, so we bought another one and it outdid the professional pest control folks when our offices got a mouse infestation problem.

Baited with a single piece of popcorn, when the mouse (or rat) enters the zapper, it steps on a metal plate that triggers the zapper to electrocute the mouse.

There is a red led on top that will come on when it has a kill inside. You just dump out the dead mouse, rebait and push the reset button and it's ready to go again.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://tomcatbrand.com/javascripts/tiny_mce/file_uploads/product_images/rodent_baits/BSMouseE650.jpg

Tomcats suck!  Like me, they are too insensitive.  Shrews & field mice can eat the peanut butter off the trigger lever.  Go with Victor for a hair trigger.

No experience with them, but the link was for a poison bait station, for once on arfcom it was not a tarp

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No experience with them, but the link was for a poison bait station, for once on arfcom it was not a tarp

I see the brand Tomcat & get angry due to lost kills.  Post edited...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top