BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:

Just wanted to bring this back and glad that everything worked out, all things considered.
View Quote
Thanks man. Everything has worked out. By the way, the lawyer friend that puts on the Tuesday night group ended up running for and getting elected as our city prosecutor. Now he's running for county judge. He was a defense lawyer before all this happened. Funny how experiences change a person.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By fatboyslim34:

Due to my recent application for ccw permit I've been doing a lot of reading on defensive situations.

Looked this up due to the reference in the "Street robberies and you - the basics" thread

Very interesting and informative, have shared it with a bunch of others.

Glad to hear you are doing well Blitz and all the best for the future!!
View Quote
Thanks fatboy. I'm so thankful and definitely humbled that sharing my experience has had a positive impact. Hope you never have to use yours, but I'm glad you and so many others are preparing yourselves.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By riverghost:

Has it messed with your mind at all? Any long term mental effects or just another day.

once again congrats if your ever in KS beers on me
View Quote
Wow, you know, I actually don't get asked that question very often, which kind of surprises me.

Lol, I'm not enough of a hard ass mf'er to say it was just another day, but no, I don't think it messed with my head too badly. It had a different effect, that I'm more resolved than I ever was before and take great joy in teaching CCW classes, just because it gets more good people carrying.  I'm proud that I acted and that has given me more confidence if anything. I certainly don't feel that I had any PTSD over it and I've always been able to deal with and get over things pretty easily.

Good question.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Blitz_308:
Wow, you know, I actually don't get asked that question very often, which kind of surprises me.    

Lol, I'm not enough of a hard ass mf'er to say it was just another day, but no, I don't think it messed with my head too badly. It had a different effect, that I'm more resolved than I ever was before and take great joy in teaching CCW classes, just because it gets more good people carrying.  I'm proud that I acted and that has given me more confidence if anything. I certainly don't feel that I had any PTSD over it and I've always been able to deal with and get over things pretty easily.

Good question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Has it messed with your mind at all? Any long term mental effects or just another day.

Good question.

I have followed this thread for years, always been mostly a lurker.  I'm glad you came out on top. Thank you for sharing your experience in such a detailed fashion, and thank you for keeping it updated. I thought about this situation this past week when my buddies house was held up in a similar fashion only a few minutes after I had left. Scary stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By grey50beast:

I have followed this thread for years, always been mostly a lurker.  I'm glad you came out on top. Thank you for sharing your experience in such a detailed fashion, and thank you for keeping it updated. I thought about this situation this past week when my buddies house was held up in a similar fashion only a few minutes after I had left. Scary stuff.
View All Quotes

Good question.

Thanks grey50beast.

Is your friend ok?  It's tough sometimes, knowing that you were minutes away from helping in a situation. I had one of those happen to me with a drowning situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Blitz sounds like your doing great. And FSAThug is probably have a nice time in prison as we speak. Hope he finds a use for the hole in his hand.

10 years in LE and never in a gun battle. But I have stared down a barrel of a gun a few times. You did real good Buddy.

BTW, there is a shit-ton of my relatives at the bottom of the state in Willow Springs.

Bless you and your family.
Ed

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you,  Ed.

Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad you're doing well blitz!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By steelycr:

I'm glad you're doing well blitz!!
View Quote

Thanks Steely

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you're doing well Blitz.

I think of this thread and your experience whenever I feel like I can run a quick errand and not bother strapping up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Did I ever tell y'all about a local who cost the state lots of money because while imprisoned he was renting out access to his colostomy hole? Ended up with a bad case of sepsis and cost gobs of taxpayer money to treat.

For a guy who had never held an honest job in his life.

But to the original point, yeah...that's how depraved these dudes are.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Originally Posted By M1-Ed:

Blitz sounds like your doing great. And FSAThug is probably have a nice time in prison as we speak. Hope he finds a use for the hole in his hand.

Did I ever tell y'all about a local who cost the state lots of money because while imprisoned he was renting out access to his colostomy hole? Ended up with a bad case of sepsis and cost gobs of taxpayer money to treat.

For a guy who had never held an honest job in his life.

But to the original point, yeah...that's how depraved these dudes are.

Yeah, I remember reading about that when you posted it somewhere else.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By redfish86:

Glad you're doing well Blitz.

I think of this thread and your experience whenever I feel like I can run a quick errand and not bother strapping up.
View Quote

Thanks redfish.  

I'm glad it's had a positive impact.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Class of '03 is Best Class!  

Mainly because of you and this thread.  I've forwarded this to so many people I've lost count and its effect is unreal.  Even 'gun guys' that I'm friends with who weren't CCW holders went and got their permits after reading this.  Sorry you had to go through it, but it has done a lot of good for people who are total strangers to you.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#16]
I don't know if you've discussed it but I'll ask anyway.

Do you wish you had done things differently. I know we all play things like this back in our head, or at least I do.

I also run future scenarios in my head because making decisions in the heat of the moment is slower than auto decisions from pre run mental exercises.

I'm in no way second guessing or mmqbing here. Just asking your opinion.

Do you think you would have fared better in initiating the confrontation earlier, while on your feet? For instance, turning around the rest of the way when he was ushering y'all into the building, grab his pistol while drawing yours?

Do you practice or have you added any techniques such as that to your training because of your experience?

Are you more quick to assume someone approaching is up to no good, now?

EAT: Or I should have asked if/where this part of the discussion may be located?

As well as saying that after seeing pics of the OP at CW, someone would have to be insane to stick him up with a .38.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn...my heart was racing reading that. Thank you for sharing. It's always good to get an actual account of how an encounter like that can go, since I don't think we ever imagine ourselves getting shot multiple times before being able to get a clean shot off ourselves.

Glad they got him and that the judge and jury threw the book at him, and obviously that you and your friends made it out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

Class of '03 is Best Class!  

View Quote

Mainly because of you and this thread.  I've forwarded this to so many people I've lost count and its effect is unreal.  Even 'gun guys' that I'm friends with who weren't CCW holders went and got their permits after reading this.  Sorry you had to go through it, but it has done a lot of good for people who are total strangers to you.  
Thanks BayEagle!  The positive response that I've gotten from the experience and this thread are overwhelming and humbling.  I love hearing that more people are carrying because of what I went through.  The more of us that are out there, the harder it is on the bad guys.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I don't know if you've discussed it but I'll ask anyway.

Do you wish you had done things differently. I know we all play things like this back in our head, or at least I do.

Having almost 5 years to reflect on it now, the main things that stand out to me are moving more (which was difficult due to standing in the middle of other people lying on the floor) and that I didn't use the table more for cover/concealment.

I also run future scenarios in my head because making decisions in the heat of the moment is slower than auto decisions from pre run mental exercises.

I'm in no way second guessing or mmqbing here. Just asking your opinion.

Do you think you would have fared better in initiating the confrontation earlier, while on your feet? For instance, turning around the rest of the way when he was ushering y'all into the building, grab his pistol while drawing yours?

Looking back on it, and knowing how willing and quickly he was to shoot, I think I would have definitely been shot in the back if I had tried to keep turning and draw my firearm to shoot him while we were on the steps.  What very well may have worked, is a hellacious donkey kick to his gut or balls, knocking him down the steps, giving me time to draw and shoot.

The rest of the time, there were people too close to me and my greatest fear during the whole ordeal, was someone else getting shot or killed.  It may sound like bravado, but I don't regret ending up in a situation where it was just the two of us standing, reducing the possibility of someone else catching a round.  I believe that if I'd been by myself, I would have acted much earlier and taken my chances.

When I initially stood up and the shooting started, it may have been more advantageous to have come up with the gun in my left hand, while using my right hand/arm to sweep his away from him...or to have shot left handed, under my right arm as I stood up.  The only problem with that was, the guy that was carrying the bag was somewhere close, not in my range of vision yet, and I'd risk shooting him instead.

Do you practice or have you added any techniques such as that to your training because of your experience?

I've practiced more left handed shooting, worked some on my draw, to speed it up.  Mostly, I try to be more situationally aware.  Nobody can be on red alert 24/7 but I tend to keep my head on a swivel a bit more now.  I also learned in a class to shoot, basically immediately from the draw (with the gun at my side) for close up targets.  Before, I was in the habit that I could only shoot with my arms extended.  You don't have that luxury when someone is right on you.

Are you more quick to assume someone approaching is up to no good, now?

Absolutely.  I'm pretty cautious when being approached now.  I'm not unfriendly but I've been told that I've got a look that is quite noticeable when someone unknown approaches now, jaws slightly clenched, eyes squint a bit and sometimes an eyebrow raised, like I'm intently watching  them and letting them know it.  LOL, I bounce at a couple of bars every once in a while now and was told Saturday night that a couple had gone up to one of our bartenders and told them that I was the most intimidating bouncer they'd ever seen in their lives.  

View Quote
Great questions.  Answered the best I could, in blue, above.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By nametaken158:

Damn...my heart was racing reading that. Thank you for sharing. It's always good to get an actual account of how an encounter like that can go, since I don't think we ever imagine ourselves getting shot multiple times before being able to get a clean shot off ourselves.

Glad they got him and that the judge and jury threw the book at him, and obviously that you and your friends made it out.
View Quote
You're welcome, and thank you.  

I've always done like Ridgerunner talked about, running scenarios in my head.  I wasn't already shot, in a single one of those scenarios, lol.  I am glad to know how I'll react in the future, though.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Hows the hand doing? Still carrying a 1911?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks grey50beast.    

Is your friend ok?  It's tough sometimes, knowing that you were minutes away from helping in a situation. I had one of those happen to me with a drowning situation.
View All Quotes

Good question.

Thanks grey50beast.    

Ain't that the truth
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Turbodreams:

View Quote
Both hands are stronger than before.  I get some arthritis and swelling, but ya know, I can live with that.  

I switch between a Glock 19 and my Dan Wesson Valor.  Yeah, I know, dividing by zero and all that, lol.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.

Glad things are going well for you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Both hands are stronger than before.  I get some arthritis and swelling, but ya know, I can live with that.  

I switch between a Glock 19 and my Dan Wesson Valor.  Yeah, I know, dividing by zero and all that, lol.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Turbodreams:

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad this has come back to the front. It's been awhile since I read it last and it was educational to read again.

Blitz - thank you for sharing your experience. Its unfortunate that anyone had to go through that. However, I hope you know how much your experience has benefited others here. We read, re-read, think, analyze your story. Further, it pushes many of us to train more to train differently, than we would have otherwise.

I am glad you are still with us and fully recovered. I'm happy that the good guy won out over the bad guy in this case! Good for you!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#27]

I've always done like Ridgerunner talked about, running scenarios in my head.  I wasn't already shot, in a single one of those scenarios, lol.  I am glad to know how I'll react in the future, though.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nametaken158:

That's a damned valuable statement, right there. One to be taken to heart and integrated into one's training and mindset.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

I'm glad this has come back to the front. It's been awhile since I read it last and it was educational to read again.

Blitz - thank you for sharing your experience. Its unfortunate that anyone had to go through that. However, I hope you know how much your experience has benefited others here. We read, re-read, think, analyze your story. Further, it pushes many of us to train more to train differently, than we would have otherwise.

View Quote

I am glad you are still with us and fully recovered. I'm happy that the good guy won out over the bad guy in this case! Good for you!!!!
Thanks man.  That means a lot to me, that people can actually benefit from this.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned in this thread.

OP, you did good!

I am glad that savage POS is put away, but make no mistake here people, there are MANY more of them.

stay frosty out there, it aint gettin better, it's gettin worse.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks tigermilk.

Oh, and shameless 5 year anniversary bump.

Glad I'm still around to hang out with you guys and gals.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks tigermilk.

Oh, and shameless 5 year anniversary bump.

Glad I'm still around to hang out with you guys and gals.  
View Quote

We are as well!

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#32]
damn man. I forgot all about this. Glad you're well, and glad that shitstain is still in jail
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Sev89:
damn man. I forgot all about this. Glad you're well, and glad that shitstain is still in jail
View Quote

I haven't forgotten since the first time I read it. This is how shit goes down and I'm grateful someone has posted a detailed account of a real life situation. I think of it often.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Blitz- glad you're doing so well.

Given how this all came out, do you ever think that it's better the creep didn't die?

I know you COULD live with that, are you ever glad you don't have to?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By usjet:

Blitz- glad you're doing so well.

Given how this all came out, do you ever think that it's better the creep didn't die?

I know you COULD live with that, are you ever glad you don't have to?
View Quote
Thanks.

To answer your question, I don't see any benefits to him surviving the gunfight.  Well, maybe just one, the fact that the bitch that helped him got busted too, because he went back up to her apartment.  I don't know if the slap on the wrist she received, and losing her job was worth it though.  Otherwise, now he's just one more drain on society.

On the ride between hospitals that night, I still didn't know if he was alive or dead.  I actually prayed for mercy on his soul, in case he had died, and made peace with the fact that I may have killed someone.  I was fine with that, because I had no other choice, he did, and brought it entirely on himself.  I'm pretty sure that I'd still be fine with it today.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Who took the picture in your Avatar?

And what does the small green triangle represent?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By BigHunt:

Who took the picture in your Avatar?

And what does the small green triangle represent?
View Quote

I'm not sure if the photo was taken by the police or by a news agency.  I think someone originally pulled it from one of the online news articles, for me.  If it was an evidence photo, it wasn't included with any of the pics on the cds that the prosecuting attorney gave me.

The green triangle represents one of the top corners of a conex shipping container, in particular, one located in Liberty, MS.   It's one of the obstacles at Cola Warrior and the few that are able to complete the obstacle are members of the "Summit Club"  

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember reading this thread and following it. Happy five years, sir! Glad you're still with us.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks man.  That means a lot to me, that people can actually benefit from this.  

View All Quotes

The best and most educational thread on ARF!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I just finished reading your account with my wife. She now understands why I carry with a round in the chamber.

You've survived something 99.99% of us never will, and you've done so in an honorable (and informative) way. Keep on telling your story, it's bound to change perspectives and minds.

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GTHKTX:
I just finished reading your account with my wife. She now understands why I carry with a round in the chamber.

You've survived something 99.99% of us never will, and you've done so in an honorable (and informative) way. Keep on telling your story, it's bound to change perspectives and minds.

Good shooting.
View Quote

THIS, thanks for enlightening us with this part of your life.  Glad your doing well, thanks for the lesson.

speed

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By MARINEORDIE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MARINEORDIE:

Thanks Marine.  I don't know about that, though.  There is so much good info on Arfcom, I'm just glad that I can contribute in some small way.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By speedbuggy16v:
THIS, thanks for enlightening us with this part of your life.  Glad your doing well, thanks for the lesson.

speed

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By speedbuggy16v:

Originally Posted By GTHKTX:

Good shooting.

speed

Glad it helped.  I just had a CCW class, Saturday and I always make sure I pound that home, to them.  There's plenty of good reasons to carry with one in the chamber and I haven't heard a good reason yet, not to.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:20:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks fatboy. I'm so thankful and definitely humbled that sharing my experience has had a positive impact. Hope you never have to use yours, but I'm glad you and so many others are preparing yourselves.  
View All Quotes
Due to my recent application for ccw permit I've been doing a lot of reading on defensive situations.

Looked this up due to the reference in the "Street robberies and you - the basics" thread

What happened with Brenda Oakley?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By qwerty4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By qwerty4:

She got hit with:  

Hindering Prosecution Of Felony
{ Felony D RSMo: 575.030 }

Pursuant to plea agreement, defendant sentenced to 3 years DOC; SES; 5 years supervised probation and 60 days shock CCJ.RGC/rd

She completed the 5 yr probation in Jan of this year.  Last I heard, she is living in a cheap apartment downtown.  No idea if she is currently employed or living off the .gov tit now.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't know this thread was bumped, I looked for this thread to post in another thread about pinning down the 1911 grip safety. Anyway, this story has stuck with me since I first read it, I'm glad you took the time to share
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gary_Plauche] [#47]
Originally Posted By Riddle:
I didn't know this thread was bumped, I looked for this thread to post in another thread about pinning down the 1911 grip safety. Anyway, this story has stuck with me since I first read it, I'm glad you took the time to share
View Quote

Hit the subscribe button, dude. You'll always have it available to you without searching for it.

PS. Blitz, you fucking rock dude. I've been following this thread for a while and I think this is the first time I've posted in it. Just wanted to give you some respect bro.

Edit: forgot to quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I remember reading your thread a while back, can't remember if I posted or not.  If not, just want to say I'm glad you survived and are doing well.  If you're ever in Central TX beers are on me.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Chief20879:
Hit the subscribe button, dude. You'll always have it available to you without searching for it.

PS. Blitz, you fucking rock dude. I've been following this thread for a while and I think this is the first time I've posted in it. Just wanted to give you some respect bro.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chief20879:

Originally Posted By Riddle:

Originally Posted By Gator:

I remember reading your thread a while back, can't remember if I posted
or not.  If not, just want to say I'm glad you survived and are doing
well.  If you're ever in Central TX beers are on me.  

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.  

You guys will never know how much I've drawn from the support that I've received here.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#50]

When I initially stood up and the shooting started, it may have been more advantageous to have come up with the gun in my left hand, while using my right hand/arm to sweep his away from him...or to have shot left handed, under my right arm as I stood up.  

View Quote

Nah dude, anything "swept away" comes right back at you.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top