Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
RWDT
Posted: 1/16/2010 1:41:45 PM
I knew that there was a difference between military and commercial brass, but didn't realize how much.

I just finished cleaning some .303 British brass, mixed HXP surplus and Remington commercial.

The weight between the two was very apparent, just from sorting. So I pulled out the scale and took a weight sample of the two.

The HXP weighed out, on average out of 20 cases, at 179.6 gr.

The Remington weighed out, on average out of 20 cases, at 159.1 gr.

I was shocked that there was an average of 20 grains of difference between the two.
Member of Ranstad's Militia

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -Samuel Adams
KalihiJack
CPE 1704 TKS
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2010 1:44:00 PM
And here I thought the difference was that commercial brass was carefully picked up and put into range bag for reloading later while the military surplus brass was hastefully grabbed off of the ground and tossed into a box or ammo can. Extra weight might be extra sand/dirt.
"Safety? Safety? Is gun! Meant to kill! No warrior should know he has safety on gun, because he should be killing enemies of homeland! Safety make loud click to aid enemy in locating warriors! No safety!" while pounding fist on the table.
qfast817
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2010 1:59:34 PM
mil has a crimp on the primer is what ive read.
VacaDuck
RWDT
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2010 2:05:48 PM
Originally Posted By qfast817:
mil has a crimp on the primer is what ive read.

That is another difference, but because crimps are easily removed, I don't consider them a major difference in the construction of the brass.
Member of Ranstad's Militia

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -Samuel Adams