Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/9/2010 5:12:19 PM EDT
Anyone catch this episode today?

I caught part of it today but set the DVR to record Sunday's showing at 10pm Pacific Time on MTV.

So its a heads up for everyone to set their DVRs since the episode is not available on line then come back here and discuss this trainwreck.

Looks like all Timmy wanted to do was play football but his home school parents would not let him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I caught it briefly...enough to realize the light they were painting "home schoolers" in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Your point being...?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I caught it briefly...enough to realize the light they were painting "home schoolers" in.

Ya think?

I mean, do you really think the worldview of the producers at MTV is in favor of homeschooling?

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Your point being...?

Just started this thread as a place holder till I can review it and once again give my opinion on "Home Skool'ng"

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point being...?

Just started this thread as a place holder till I can review it and once again give my opinion on "Home Skool'ng"

What exactly is wrong with it? Given the choice between that and "Government Schooling" I'd take homeschooling, even if it meant spending thousands of dollars.  I was publicly educated.  Lot of good teachers, and some that weren't(no offense arfcom teachers or those whose spouses teach.)

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone catch this episode today?

I caught part of it today but set the DVR to record Sunday's showing at 10pm Pacific Time on MTV.

So its a heads up for everyone to set their DVRs since the episode is not available on line then come back here and discuss this trainwreck.

Looks like all Timmy wanted to do was play football but his home school parents would not let him.

Contrast that with my brother who wanted to play football (as did my parents) but the school would not let him because he did not attend.

Of course, my parents still had to pay their property taxes.

Yeah, fuck public education.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If memory serves me according to the OP he got screwed out of an education due to them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
While I hear lots of good things about home schooling, my only experience with it is negative.  

A couple of cousins, for lack of a better word, were homeschooled.  They, along with their mother, now reside in the Missouri State Pen for drug related charges.  

Granted, this is a parent problem vs a homeschool problem, but it's still the only first-hand experience I have with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point being...?

What exactly is wrong with it? Given the choice between that and "Government Schooling" I'd take homeschooling, even if it meant spending thousands of dollars. I was publicly educated. Lot of good teachers, and some that weren't(no offense arfcom teachers or those whose spouses teach.)

That really depends on who your parents are and how capable they are to teach. I want to see the show first before I really make more comments.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your point being...?

Just started this thread as a place holder till I can review it and once again troll give my opinion on "Home Skool'ng"

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The 2 people I met in college that were home schooled were both pretty smart... but weird... like lack of social norms weird.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point being...?

What exactly is wrong with it?

Nothing, necessarily...which isn't what MTV would have you believe (and of no surprise).  

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Only experiences I've had with home schooled people have been
. Pretty intelligent people, but lacking socially. Just didn't pick up on a lot of norms/social cues or just have a normal interaction. (about half a dozen people off the top of my head). One girl was homeschooled up to high school and then chose to go to our local HS. I can honestly say she got remarkably more "adjusted" over the four years. I'm sure its more of a parent thing and letting them do certain things like sports, but in general (in my experience) its been more of a handicap than anything. Being smart and working hard is important, but being social/having confidence speaking in front of strangers/etc will get you quite far in life.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your point being...?

Seems like a good data set from which to draw conclusions...

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
My niece is home schooled. She should be in 3rd grade, but is already at an 8th grade math level.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't surprise me that the OP watches the useless, scripted("reality") garbage on MTV and thinks of it as a documentary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I was homeschooled.

What's up cuz, you got sometim to say hommes?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 2 people I met in college that were home schooled were both pretty smart... but weird... like lack of social norms weird.

Being a product of home schooling, I have no social issues in terms of meeting new people.

Never been good with the ladies... but, after judging ARFCOM's members and divorce rates... I don't think home schooling had anything to do with that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up with some homeschooled kids that lived up the road (I was public schooled ) and they were TOTAL losers.

However, I have recently met a lot of people who home-school (school districts where I live SUCK) and these kids are actually getting me to consider it - my kids are < 2 so we got time.  They are mature, well adjusted, living life well.  One got picked up to play bball for a local hs.  Another is already a semi-pro photographer.  Another  is amazing at drums and actually gets paid several times a month to get flown out and either record or play live at the semi-pro level.

The thing is - these parents take it seriously and IMHO are doing a better job truly educating their kids to succeed in life then the system who has to cater to the lowest common denominator.  They get done with the school day at like noon. If you view home-schooling as a way to shelter your kids - that's different (and bad).

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I was home schooled after private school went wrong.

I am more socially outgoing than 90% of the people out there (78% of statistics are made up on the spot by the way).

I was IQ tested multiple times averaging a 148, my sister who was also home schooled was mid 160's.

I scored perfect on the electrical, mechanical, and mathematical portions of the ASVAB.

I was forced to take all of the stupid "extra tests" in boot camp.

I have graduated in the top 10% of every military and trade school I've been to.

I don't do drugs.

I've run through more ass than a toilet seat at an NSYNC concert. (attributed to my low social skills I'm sure )

I've never been fired from a job.

I was actually and instructor and an instructor evaluator my last 2 years in the Corps after I got injured and yanked out of the deployment cycle.

I've never been disciplined at a job (aside from a hazing/assault incident in the Corps back in 99 when I was a bastard of a Corporal)

I can't spell for shit.

I'd go as far as to say that the majority of the preconceived notions about "home skoolers" are complete and utter bullshit. Just as there are burnouts, losers, emo's, and general fuck ups who graduate from the gooberment ran schools, there will be from home schools too. I however would choose home schooling for my daughter over the PC liberal infested SHIT that is taught to kids now in public schools but since both myself and my wife work full time, we chose to live in a very small community in an area where every school teacher goes to the same church  as my parents and the school as a whole shares the views I do from Kindergarten all the way to 12th grade.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Only experiences I've had with home schooled people have been . Pretty intelligent people, but lacking socially. Just didn't pick up on a lot of norms/social cues or just have a normal interaction. (about half a dozen people off the top of my head). One girl was homeschooled up to high school and then chose to go to our local HS. I can honestly say she got remarkably more "adjusted" over the four years. I'm sure its more of a parent thing and letting them do certain things like sports, but in general (in my experience) its been more of a handicap than anything. Being smart and working hard is important, but being social/having confidence speaking in front of strangers/etc will get you quite far in life.

Yeah . . . having confidence in dealing with their peers as adults.  Since most of the education you are getting in PS is . . . just how to adjust socially.  Most of the homeschooled kids I know knew how to deal with life as adults because the people they ended up asking about their problems were adults and not children.

Odd how kids who rely on kids for advice make the same mistakes that kids always make, more or less.

Just wish my wife was up for homeschooling our kids.  Since he is not socially adept the rest of the kids treat him like shit and the advice that the teachers give is to ignore it, it will go away.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My niece is home schooled. She should be in 3rd grade, but is already at an 8th grade math level.

QFT.  

Again, IN MY OPINION ... homeschooling or partial homeschooling is just another tool that a truly engaged parent can wield to raise a successful child.  For some kids - it's a bad idea.  For other kids not.  

And again if you're just using homeschooling as a way to shelter your kids from the big bad world you are setting them up for failure.  If you are doing it becuase you can better instill in your children substance to be successful - go for it.  

I know some parents that have one kid at home, and one in public.  Or that homeschool till sometime in middle school ... at this point they are like 5 grades ahead from a skills perspective but have time for those awkward years of puberty.  

k - im done.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only experiences I've had with home schooled people have been . Pretty intelligent people, but lacking socially. Just didn't pick up on a lot of norms/social cues or just have a normal interaction. (about half a dozen people off the top of my head). One girl was homeschooled up to high school and then chose to go to our local HS. I can honestly say she got remarkably more "adjusted" over the four years. I'm sure its more of a parent thing and letting them do certain things like sports, but in general (in my experience) its been more of a handicap than anything. Being smart and working hard is important, but being social/having confidence speaking in front of strangers/etc will get you quite far in life.

Yeah . . . having confidence in dealing with their peers as adults.  Since most of the education you are getting in PS is . . . just how to adjust socially.  Most of the homeschooled kids I know knew how to deal with life as adults because the people they ended up asking about their problems were adults and not children.

Odd how kids who rely on kids for advice make the same mistakes that kids always make, more or less.

Just wish my wife was up for homeschooling our kids.  Since he is not socially adept the rest of the kids treat him like shit and the advice that the teachers give is to ignore it, it will go away.  

He should ignore the insults.

Make sure he knows it's right to defend himself if physically attacked, tho.  And teach him to do so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point being...?

What exactly is wrong with it?

Nothing, necessarily...which isn't what MTV would have you believe (and of no surprise).  

I don't exactly take MTV as something I'd want to believe.  Ever seen their True Life "I'm a Gun Owner?" Very much liberal left leaning.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And socially, with kids her age, how is she?

That's really my only issue with homeschooling. A lot of these kids don't get the social interaction they need with people outside of their families. A lot of them have very few friends, or struggle to make new ones.

Not all of them. But many.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I have no problem with home schooling. Cause the world needs ditch diggers too ya know.
That being said, a study was done that showed that there are two kinds of HS kids, those who are hyper intelligent and usually have two PHD college professor parents. And those who are stupid religious wackos. If you wanna religious education sheesh, send'em to a Madrassa or something. At least they'll get Socialized. Problem is this HS thing is really recent only getting really popular in the 1990's. I have a feeling its gonna get less popular as the kids subjected to it grow up and start talking smack about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Home school was great!
For science class one summer I had a pile a empty 243 brass a pound of reloading powder and ten feet of cannon fuse.
Good times!
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really my only issue with homeschooling. A lot of these kids don't get the social interaction they need with people outside of their families. A lot of them have very few friends, or struggle to make new ones.

Ah yes, and public schools aren't full of shy introverts who "have very few friends, or struggle to make new ones."

I'm raising my children to be adults.

Why do they need to spend time learning how to play in the adolescent fantasy world that is "public school?"

If anything, the children in public school need more interaction with adults, not children.  (And in an environment that rewards behavior useful in an adult world.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Home schooling can work - but in many instances, the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, aren't competent enough to do it well, and usually both.

The social issue of homeschooling is becoming a glaring problem, usually because the homeschoolers are doing it for the wrong reason, and/or aren't competent enough to do it well.

School, in general, provides a lot more than just R/R/R. Most parents would be better served making sure the kids know the educational facts that are ignored by public education, and be involved enough to call out the teachers that think public education is an indoctrination tool.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I have know some families and have a few friends who home schooled their kids. Most of them were ahead of the curve of learning and some were able to graduate high school early then went on to college and are enjoying life. Of the ones I can think of, there is a structural engineer, a supervisior at UPS, a CPA and a few other professions that I haven't kept up on as the years have gone on.

It all comes done to the parents behind the schooling as they are the ones who motivate and help guide their lives to see the possiblities of what they can accomplish.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ah yes, and public schools aren't full of shy introverts who "have very few friends, or struggle to make new ones."

They're there, of course, but it's absolutely a minority, and in my experience, a small one.

Why do they need to spend time learning how to play in the adolescent fantasy world that is "public school?"

If anything, the children in public school need more interaction with adults, not children.  (And in an environment that rewards behavior useful in an adult world.)

Public school is a lot more like real life than sitting at home all day. And perhaps most importantly, you get exposed to people who suck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I was homeschooled my entire life , never went to a public school ever.

I'm now involved quite a bit with community activities, and have been the president of our board of Realtors for 2 years, elected to region/state boards as well.

I don't think i'm anti-social at all, and am in a VERY social business.

The problem with anti-social homeschoolers is that they get in a little bubble and never want out, that's not the homeschooling itself, it's the parents. I know TONS of well adjusted homeschool kids, and I know a few that were/are backwards, however it had more to do with parents than anything else.

Hate to break it to ya guys , but if you would look at society 40 years ago, most people were more 'backwards' than they are today , at least as far as it goes with some issues people seem to think you should just be able to pick up on.

Oh yeah , relating to schooling, do you guys know what the cause of the civil war was?

Take a guess what our evil homeschool books taught us?

State's rights vs Federal control! I know it might shock you , but there are books out there that don't put the blame of the civil war solely on the shoulders of slavers in the south, that are taught to kids growing up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your point being...?

What exactly is wrong with it? Given the choice between that and "Government Schooling" I'd take homeschooling, even if it meant spending thousands of dollars.  I was publicly educated.  Lot of good teachers, and some that weren't(no offense arfcom teachers or those whose spouses teach.)

How do people think kids were educated before the public/.gov schools. Either the community pooled its resources and hired a teacher, or they were taught by their parents.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

School, in general, provides a lot more than just R/R/R.

Which is a large part of the problem. School is to LEARN, not to be brainwashed into "bad bad white man, use slaves, kill Indians, starve Africa, global warming, carbon, evil guns, use heroin this way, don't knock fisting till you've tried it" etc!

Maybe if they would get back to R/R/R and let the social issues work themselves out, Berkley wouldn't be dropping science labs because "the white kids do better".

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#35]
How many goths/emos go or went to your school? I seem to knew PLENTY of kids growing up who went to public school and were either goth/emo , or talked about them.

Yes , there's introverts in school , they just have a club they join that's coined with the outsider flavor of the week.

Public school can be like real life, there's always a bunch of people who play the game with their teachers, as they do with their bosses, ect. School is a good example of what the government does in workplaces and other facets of life........Government education , meet government employment.

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're there, of course, but it's absolutely a minority, and in my experience, a small one.

Public school is a lot more like real life than sitting at home all day. And perhaps most importantly, you get exposed to people who suck.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Actually it's nothing like real life.

It's entire system of values is artificial and has no basis in reality.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Except with unions.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it's nothing like real life.

It's entire system of values is artificial and has no basis in reality.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is public school an adolescent fantasy world? I actually think its a pretty decent primer for life socially.  Education wise it isn't much but lets be honest if your parents are whipping your ass to learn, high school is really just a layover til college that only serves to allow a little emotional and social maturation.

Past that my experience was that it does reward behavior useful to adults.  High school is largely about the social aspects of life and that is a huge part of being an adult.  Math and science aren't all you learn in school.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have no problem with home schooling. Cause the world needs ditch diggers too ya know.
That being said, a study was done that showed that there are two kinds of HS kids, those who are hyper intelligent and usually have two PHD college professor parents. And those who are stupid religious wackos. If you wanna religious education sheesh, send'em to a Madrassa or something. At least they'll get Socialized. Problem is this HS thing is really recent only getting really popular in the 1990's. I have a feeling its gonna get less popular as the kids subjected to it grow up and start talking smack about it.

Thank God for another expert
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It doesn't surprise me that the OP watches the useless, scripted("reality") garbage on MTV and thinks of it as a documentary.

Thats funny, but true
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats funny, but true

Well then shoot a documentary of some "Home SkooL'd" kids so I can watch it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I hope MTV sets the record straight on homeschoolin, cause if they don't, my Prez is gonna have ta put a cap in dat ass

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Public schools insure people have social skills plus they make sure only the best graduate our colleges and universities before going on to become senators, who know what's best for the country

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I was home schooled from 5th to 7th grade. I do not recommend it. My mom taught English well, but all other subjects were lacking. I wanted and needed sciences that she simply could not teach. It set me so far behind in early life it isnt funny, and was forced to learn subjects that she was good at like art (puke). Not to mention that learning social skills at that crucial age, just didnt happen. Mom was college educated, in art. And yes a christian religious wacko at the time.

Home schooling is fine if you can teach your child: English, Writing, Lower maths, Science, History, Algebra, Calculus, Trig, Biology, Social norms, Dating, Fighting etc. If you cannot teach that, then your child will be doomed to be a hobbled hermit troglodyte for many years unless he/she can pull oneself out the hole you dug for them, and if they do end up succeeding through self realization and education, they will resent you for the rest of your life.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#45]
She has two sisters, and goes to church functions often. She is very outgoing and very mature. Here manners are beyond reproach. Quite the young lady.

Side note, my sister is not a Christian, but wants her children to make that decision on their own. She sends them so they can learn and make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank God for another expert

I agree with that expert.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was home schooled from 5th to 7th grade. I do not recommend it. My mom taught English well, but all other subjects were lacking. I wanted and needed sciences that she simply could not teach. It set me so far behind in early life it isnt funny, and was forced to learn subjects that she was good at like art (puke). Not to mention that learning social skills at that crucial age, just didnt happen. Mom was college educated, in art. And yes a christian religious wacko at the time.

Home schooling is fine if you can teach your child: English, Writing, Lower maths, Science, History, Algebra, Calculus, Trig, Biology, Social norms, Dating, Fighting etc. If you cannot teach that, then your child will be doomed to be a hobbled hermit troglodyte for many years unless he/she can pull oneself out the hole you dug for them, and if they do end up succeeding through self realization and education, they will resent you for the rest of your life.  

I have to laugh at this entire statement coming from a guy that has the avatar that he does.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Typical liberal crap.  Take ONE EXAMPLE and paint the story that ALL are like this one example.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to laugh at this entire statement coming from a guy that has the avatar that he does.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats funny, but true

Well then shoot a documentary of some "Home SkooL'd" kids so I can watch it.

I'd be highly skeptical of any documentary on MTV, they did one on violence and had a VPC rep on there, for our side a teenager who hunted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top