Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Could 1 panty bomber bomb knock it down?
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What with the new "rules" about no wandering around, no going to the restroom and keeping your hands visible, this aircraft won't see the light of day. It looks like it was designed for a different time..... the past.

I'd love to see a blended-wing (flying wing) aircraft, you could have something the same wingspan as a 747 and have tons more interior space... but people don't like being more than X feet away from a window, so not sure if we'll ever see those either.

Boeing has a design for that too.

I think they had something like a ceiling display to try to take care of that. The project was canned in favor of the Dreamliner I believe.

But the blended wing design would be excellent for freight, military transport, and aerial refueling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Simpy put, FUCK NO!

Not to mention, no Airport could service that aircraft, and could you imagine the cost to retrofit airports to accommodate that sucker!
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Thats the UFO from those videos with the 3 lights! I KNOW IT!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Simpy put, FUCK NO!

Not to mention, no Airport could service that aircraft, and could you imagine the cost to retrofit airports to accommodate that sucker!

Did you notice it was specified as a sea plane?  Thus the "Clipper" name?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
All the way to the crash site.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditch the mimes and I would consider it.

Naah, they could mime the pre-flight safety instructions

that's good for the people that are listening to their headphones.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
After listening to the stupid French cunt who had a 1-year old toddler sitting right behind me the other day who would NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR THE ENTIRE GODDAMNED FUCKING FLIGHT, there's no way in fucking hell I would want to fly with another potentially 1150 of her.  Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditch the mimes and I would consider it.

Naah, they could mime the pre-flight safety instructions

that's good for the people that are listening to their headphones.

Everyone should be made to demonstrate the pre-flight safety instructions, through the medium of dance....

Only if it's hot female flight attendants stripping.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a April Fools joke to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure I still wouldn't have enough leg room in coach, so why bother?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The "Jogging track"  and the Hydrogen/Electric engines destroy the credibility of the article.  Makes the design look silly and amateurish.

Aviation is about efficiency and economics.  

But, yes, I would fly it in a heartbeat.  When does ground school start?  I can be there tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Uh, no.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The plane would have to make long, huge, very flat, very wide turns or the passengers in the outboard cabins would be really uncomfortable with the degree of banking. With that kind of arrangement, it would probably spend as much time turning as flying to the destination.

I'm only a simple pilot, not an aeronautical engineer, but I'm pretty sure that this theory makes no sense at all.   In a coordinated turn, all passengers would feel G's in a downward vector regardless of their position or angle of bank.  

Somebody help me out here...BBB is making me confused.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The plane would have to make long, huge, very flat, very wide turns or the passengers in the outboard cabins would be really uncomfortable with the degree of banking. With that kind of arrangement, it would probably spend as much time turning as flying to the destination.

It's a seaplane.  It can take off in any direction.  It doesn't need to turn.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Way too many eggs in one basket
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The "Jogging track"  and the Hydrogen/Electric engines destroy the credibility of the article.  Makes the design look silly and amateurish.

Aviation is about efficiency and economics.  

But, yes, I would fly it in a heartbeat.  When does ground school start?  I can be there tomorrow.

The guy who designed it (John McMasters) has written 96 publications / technical papers from 1963 to 2008, 3 of them classified... while the 2nd picture was taken from a more humorous PDF overview of what he's worked on, I don't think I would call the man amateurish.....

http://best.berkeley.edu/~aagogino/papers/McMasters_publications.pdf

Back in college we read through the entire publication, there was enough technical stuff in there, performance envelopes and other stuff, which makes me think it could very well be built today.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm only a simple pilot, not an aeronautical engineer, but I'm pretty sure that this theory makes no sense at all.   In a coordinated turn, all passengers would feel G's in a downward vector regardless of their position or angle of bank.  

The outboard passengers would travel a greater distance when the aircraft banks than the passengers in the normally configured center of the aircraft.
The aircrafts roll would also be more pronounced farther from the centerline.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would only fly in that thing if I was allowed a blanket.

What about a blanket for part of the flight?  When I flew last night, the stewardesses took the blankets about ninety minutes before landing.  They threatened to have a woman arrested who didn't want to give-up her blanket.  The stewardess also took a blanket from an infant a couple of rows behind me.z
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a seaplane.  It can take off in any direction.  It doesn't need to turn.

Taking off isn't the issue. The issue is lining up to land in favorable conditions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it this way. You are sitting sideways on a teeter-totter. If you sit near the pivot point, you don't have much action as it goes up and down. If you sit near the end, you have quite a ride. Popular Science and/or Popular Mechanics had discussions of the problem when they had articles on the blended wing body.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]

No, I don't fly ON airplanes, I fly IN airplanes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#29]
No I would not fly in that thing.

Looks like one of the Soviet WIGs.  Google "Ekranoplan"  They built a few back in the '70s and '80s.  Monsters with the jets up high in the back.  Designed to carry 300 fully loaded troops.  We named one the "Caspian Sea Monster".  

Here's one:  WIG

Here is a detailed writeup:  Wig-2

They only fly a few feet off of the surface of the water...in the "ground effect" regime, much like the Hughes flying boat did.  The Soviet "plane" was armed to the teeth with anti-ship missiles!  Here is the missile launching beast:  WIG-3
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

problems facing this concept, the

Think of it this way. You are sitting sideways on a teeter-totter. If you sit near the pivot point, you don't have much action as it goes up and down. If you sit near the end, you have quite a ride. Popular Science and/or Popular Mechanics had discussions of the problem when they had articles on the blended wing body.

I see what your saying now.  The up and down movement.  It's not a factor.  A plane like that isn't designed to do ACM.  It will do a couple turns to get on course, then straight and level for 12 hours, then a couple half standard rate turns to final.   Of all the engineering problems facing this concept, this one is dead last.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

problems facing this concept, the

I see what your saying now.  The up and down movement.  It's not a factor.  A plane like that isn't designed to do ACM.  It will do a couple turns to get on course, then straight and level for 12 hours, then a couple half standard rate turns to final.   Of all the engineering problems facing this concept, this one is dead last.

Not according to the engineers interviewed in PM/PS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top