Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Are there any good WW2 warbirds that would be worth looking into?

Not in that price range, unless you're talking non-US aircraft.  You could probably get close to a Stearman for that price though.  Something like this:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-STEARMAN-STEARMAN/1942-BOEING-STEARMAN-STEARMAN/1161209.htm

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Buy the airplane you can fly, not the one you can afford.

It pisses me off when some low time hot shot pilot crashes a historic aircraft. Pilots are a dime a dozen, but they dont make those beautiful old airplanes anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If it flies, floats, or fucks.....

... it's cheaper to rent.

Nope.

I own a 177RG and it's far cheaper to own. I've put 63 hours on it since July (5 full months). Lesssee. 63 x $200/HR (local wet rental rate for my type aircraft) = $12,600 (that's roughly 1/3 the cost of my aircraft!)

Yet, I burn and avg of 7 gal per hour at $3.44 per gal or roughly $1500 in gas.
Annuals are about $1000
Tie down is $55 per month
Tips to line guys (always a very good idea) $200 or less per year.
Repairs (who knows) but expect $2K.

Nope, not even close. It's way cheaper to own. And, the wonderful feeling of not having to go through the airport ANAL strip search is worth every fucking penny.

I recently flew from S. Florida to W. Tennessee, to St. Aug Florida, to Sav Georgia, to Cincinnati, Ohio, to Sav to S. FL. Total cost, a few hundred. Played it by ear, came and went as I wanted. It ROCKED! I picked up a new puppy in OH. She rode in the front seat (in a sound insulated crate). What could possibly be better?

Yes, I picked an aircraft with a fuel injected 4 cylinder engine (for economy) and with retractable gear, for some additional speed. I generally cruise at 143Kts or 160MPH at 8GPH long range cruise. Cruise descent gets the fuel burn down to 'bout 5GPH. Overall avg = 7GPH.

Here is the day I flew it home:

You tube of cujet flyin' the thunder Cardinal at 170MPH

I've since overhauled the engine, landing gear and interior.

Suggestion: Cessna 182 with low time engine and prop.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it flies, floats, or fucks.....

... it's cheaper to rent.

Nope.

I own a 177RG and it's far cheaper to own. I've put 63 hours on it since July (5 full months). Lesssee. 63 x $200/HR (local wet rental rate for my type aircraft) = $12,600 (that's roughly 1/3 the cost of my aircraft!)

Yet, I burn and avg of 7 gal per hour at $3.44 per gal or roughly $1500 in gas.

Annuals are about $1000

Tie down is $55 per month

Tips to line guys (always a very good idea) $200 or less per year.

Repairs (who knows) but expect $2K.

Nope, not even close. It's way cheaper to own. And, the wonderful feeling of not having to go through the airport ANAL strip search is worth every fucking penny.

I recently flew from S. Florida to W. Tennessee, to St. Aug Florida, to Sav Georgia, to Cincinnati, Ohio, to Sav to S. FL. Total cost, a few hundred. Played it by ear, came and went as I wanted. It ROCKED! I picked up a new puppy in OH. She rode in the front seat (in a sound insulated crate). What could possibly be better?

Yes, I picked an aircraft with a fuel injected 4 cylinder engine (for economy) and with retractable gear, for some additional speed. I generally cruise at 143Kts or 160MPH at 8GPH long range cruise. Cruise descent gets the fuel burn down to 'bout 5GPH. Overall avg = 7GPH.

Here is the day I flew it home:

http://cujet.com/assets/images/DSCN3091_resize.jpg

I've since overhauled the engine, landing gear and interior.

Suggestion: Cessna 182 with low time engine and prop.

Beautiful plane, I've always liked the Cardinals.  For what it's worth my Mom (A&P) worked at Cessna for several years fixing problems on the new airplanes right off the production line.  She got a lot of flying time in both 172s and 182s, and she says the 182 is twice the airplane the 172 is.  If I ever buy a certificated production airplane I'll be looking hard at the 182s.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in that price range, unless you're talking non-US aircraft.  You could probably get close to a Stearman for that price though.  Something like this:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-STEARMAN-STEARMAN/1942-BOEING-STEARMAN-STEARMAN/1161209.htm

Aw man... I wish I had the money for that thing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I ever buy a certificated production airplane I'll be looking hard at the 182s.  

Lose the nosegear and you've got a real airplane!
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ever buy a certificated production airplane I'll be looking hard at the 182s.  

180s are cool too but taildraggers intimidate me.
 I'd like to learn to fly a cub some day, I think I could get over my ground handling while looking at the sky fears.

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
personally  I am building myself.  I want an RV, most likely a 7 or 8

course, thats once I get my LongEZ done
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I'll be happy (for now) with a VNE of 170, if I can just get the time to finish the damn thing without other more pressing projects popping up...

Well, that and I have a Lyco (that's older than I am, by at least a decade) on an engine stand in my living room...

What kind of plane are you building again?  It's not an RV is it?

What's wrong with RV's

Nothing, I just remember there is someone on here building an RV, but I wasn't sure if it was Dave.  I like RV's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

180s are cool too but taildraggers intimidate me.  I'd like to learn to fly a cub some day, I think I could get over my ground handling while looking at the sky fears.

I got my tailwheel endorsement... after bouncing down the runway like an idiot for a while.  It's somewhat humbling to go from a thousand or so tailHOOK hours to trying to learn how to fly a tailwheel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to pursue my lifelong dream next summer and get my pilot's license.

I'd like to buy an aircraft to learn on.  Nothing too fancy, something reliable and nice, with maybe enough range to fly 200 or 300 miles comfortably.

What kind of planes am I looking at?

So what did you get? Or rather what did you decide?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top