Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2009 11:04:43 PM EDT
Can anyone advise on how to securely hide a game cam so it won't be stolen by or tampered with by humans?  Neighbor is getting repeat graffiti on his property and suspects neighborhood kids... Good brushy wash north of the wall getting tagged but the kids also use that wash during the day to play.  Wondering how to obscure the cam from prying and curious eyes without blocking the lens or sensor with foliage.  Never used one before so tips would be appreciated.  Also likely we will be installing it at night.

Thx
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Trip wires/Claymores around it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Napalm.  Lots of napalm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I love gd...
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem you may run into is the majority of game cams use flashes of one sort or another, which will be an obvious alert to the offending parties.  If they notice a flash go off, they will likely do everything they can to find the camera.  Of course, if its mounted in a position where it can't be accessed, this won't be an issue.  Whatever he does, make sure it is secure and covered, or they will destroy it.  My recommendation is to simply get a wireless camera, like the ones you can mount in your house to watch your children, which are just as cheap as the game cams.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick question.  How far is the area from his house?  If its too far, a wireless camera may not be an option.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Put it up high?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
For ones that don't need the flash I've, uh, heard of using a birdhouse-looking shell around it...
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an older infrared unit.  You cannot see the flash unless you are staring right at it and then only a faint red glow appears.

I took a PVC pipe that was big enough to slide the camera inside and cut out openings for the lens, sensor, and flash.  You do need to seal the sensor, flash, and lens to the openings so that they do not reflect back into each other.  Do that using toilet paper tubes.  

I then painted the tube and glued strips of bark on it from a dead tree near where it would be used.  I also cut a chunk of the butt end of the log to use as a lid.  It looked like a stump and the dead tree laying near it.  Perfect disguise.  :-)   Forgot to add that I used a post hole digger to set it in place and then put leaf litter around the base just like a normal tree stump.

I can try to get some photos of it in a few days if you need them.   You might find other similar ideas by looking at the objects that would normally be in the area where you need to hide it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The problem you may run into is the majority of game cams use flashes of one sort or another, which will be an obvious alert to the offending parties.  If they notice a flash go off, they will likely do everything they can to find the camera.  Of course, if its mounted in a position where it can't be accessed, this won't be an issue.  Whatever he does, make sure it is secure and covered, or they will destroy it.  My recommendation is to simply get a wireless camera, like the ones you can mount in your house to watch your children, which are just as cheap as the game cams.

Unless you go super cheap, most new game cameras use an infrared flash.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
pics please!
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I'd love to see pictures of the set up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I am very sorry that I have not responded sooner.  Been very busy with a wife in labor that I have not had time.   I took a crappy cell phone pic the other night just to give you an idea of what it looks like from a distance.  

Hidden Game Camera  

After the baby is born I will try to get a better shot of it for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The problem you may run into is the majority of game cams use flashes of one sort or another, which will be an obvious alert to the offending parties. If they notice a flash go off, they will likely do everything they can to find the camera. Of course, if its mounted in a position where it can't be accessed, this won't be an issue. Whatever he does, make sure it is secure and covered, or they will destroy it. My recommendation is to simply get a wireless camera, like the ones you can mount in your house to watch your children, which are just as cheap as the game cams.

Most have an IR flash and sensor too... does not give off any light to the naked eye, but it looks like black and white.    

The key to hiding it is to use what you have in the surrounding area, what may work for me won't work for you. Go to the place and let your mind do the work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top