Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2009 5:17:38 PM EDT

Hypothetically-speaking, if you had a choice to go to Europe (ETO) or the Pacific (PTO) during WW2, where would you want to go?

Me? I'd avoid going to the PTO at all costs! Bushido mentality is/was borderline psychotic..

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Europe. I had 2 great-grandfathers who fought in the war. One in the pacific and one in Europe. The one in Europe was in the Army

and the one in the pacific was in the Navy. R.I.P. some of the best guys I have ever talked to. Wish I had more time with them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
why no get both?
i can't decide to be honest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
ETO.....screw the island/jungle hopping of entrenched Jap soldiers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take the pacific.

I don't like to fight in the cold.

and the beaches are nice once you clean up the blood and guts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
ETO, by far. Not far from civilization. A comfortable rear area. Quick medevac.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Pacific theater

M1917 Enfield .30 cal rifle w/ bayonet    
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill take the Jessica Biel theater please.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Tough call.  

ETO.  Well armed,  battle hardened foe with superior armor, 88's, and anti tank munitions.

PTO.  Battle hardened, seriously well entrenched defense,  and will fight to the death.

ETO.  Cold (at times).  Rolling terrain, hills valleys,  (what we have here at home)

PTO.  Hot, humid, bugs, disease, thing that will eat you alive,  poor logistical support at times. Always start from the beach and HAVE to take the high ground, (see defense).  

I'm gonna take the ETO.  I HATE bugs, heat and humidity.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Pacific would've been nice with enough naval bombardment before, air cover, tactical nukes, and all sorts of other things that didn't exist.  The whole "meatgrinder" battles, with disease-carrying pests 24/7, does not sound awesome to me.

Besides, if all else failed.....at least they would take better care of POWs in ETO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My Dad served on B-17 Bombers in Europe, he came home and counted himself lucky, many didn't ever make it out of those bombers alive.

Two of my Uncles served in the Pacific theater with the Navy.
One didn't ever come home, lost at sea due to a kamiaze bomber strike on the destroyer he was assigned to.

I don't think any combat veteran from that era would have any preference other than to come home in one piece.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Pacific...don't like the cold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pacific would've been nice with enough naval bombardment before, air cover, tactical nukes, and all sorts of other things that didn't exist.  The whole "meatgrinder" battles, with disease-carrying pests 24/7, does not sound awesome to me.

Besides, if all else failed.....at least they would take better care of POWs in ETO.

that's why im saying ETO
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd take the AMC and Cinemark theaters.

No concessions for the concession stand!

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a Marine...do the math.

ETA:Anyone who wants to go to war is insane.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I would go to Europe.  Before the outbreak of the war and join the Germans in their fight.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Beyond Valor

Into the Rising Sun

Here are two similar books by Patrick K O'Donnell.  Both are personal interviews with the "elite" of the time(Airborne, Rangers, Raiders, ParaMarines,etc).  Savagery and struggles throughout.  Hellish accounts from the 11th Airborne in the PTO and from units in the Huertgen in the ETO.

Overall, I'd echo what Tim the Enchanter said.  ETO for its proximity to civilized areas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would go to Europe.  Before the outbreak of the war and join the Germans in their fight.  

wtf troll?

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]
CBI

The forgotten theater.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#19]
ETO: Grandfather and several of his brothers fought there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or Infantry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tough call.  

ETO.  Well armed,  battle hardened foe with superior armor, 88's, and anti tank munitions.

PTO.  Battle hardened, seriously well entrenched defense,  and will fight to the death.

ETO.  Cold (at times).  Rolling terrain, hills valleys,  (what we have here at home)

PTO.  Hot, humid, bugs, disease, thing that will eat you alive,  poor logistical support at times. Always start from the beach and HAVE to take the high ground, (see defense).  

I'm gonna take the ETO. I HATE bugs, heat and humidity.  

Wait a second- you HATE bugs, heat & humidity....and you live in GEORGIA?!? You need to move son!

I'd vote for the PTO if I was Army under Mac- but the Marines were a little to gung ho about charging strait into entrenched positions for my taste.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Europe for sure.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Whichever front I was needed in.

((ETA - And Jessica goes with me.      ))
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hope you mean "join the germans in their fight, gain their trust, climb the ranks, and slit hitler's throat the first chance you got."
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
give me the nazi bastards, they weren't as crazy as the Japs....

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
ETO,  were the fine women are!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#27]
eto

the pto was a couple levels of hell deeper
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Go back to storm front. Hitler was a fucking shit-bag scum loving k9 fucking tweeker.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
ETO
The Germans/Italians would surrender instead of fighting to the very bitter end.
Much better chance of being treated fair if you become a POW
Generally agreed upon "don't shoot medics" & other common decency "rules of combat".  
More women to show their appreciation...either as defenders/liberators (Brit, French, etc) or "winner gets the prize" smokes & candy trade for fraulien pie.
Better swag.  War trophy Lugers, P38s, Walther PPs & HJ knives > Nambus, Type 94s, Type 26 revolvers & craptastic last ditch katanas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd rather stay home and develop weapons... Nukes for example.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pacific...don't like the cold.

This
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to storm front. Hitler was a fucking shit-bag scum loving k9 fucking tweeker.

Not every German in WWII was a hardcore Nazi and Hitler supporter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure there are lots of folks in far reaching places saying the same thing about American soldiers walking their soil and kicking their dust right now too.
"Not every American soldier believes in aggressive American Imperialism."
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but for what reason  (other than he must like hitler) would you want to even fight for a country like that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure there are lots of folks in far reaching places saying the same thing about American soldiers walking their soil and kicking their dust right now too.
"Not every American soldier believes in aggressive American Imperialism."

WTF? "american imperialism" give me a break...
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

CBI

The forgotten theater.

My father was there. It wasn't all fun and games.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As in... fight to prevent Nazism? Clarify please.

ETO for me. I'd get  sick over in the PTO, I know I would.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As in... fight to prevent Nazism? Clarify please.

ETO for me. I'd get  sick over in the PTO, I know I would.

I hope this is what he is saying.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Eto fo get the pacific island hopping battle entrenched crazy japs .  Although more urban fighting i would still take that over some jap in a spyder hole at least if you became a pow you might survive unlike in the pto where they had no decency.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Honestly, the answer to just about any question ever is Jessica Biel.

But, for this issue, I would probably choose Pacific because I f'ing hate the cold. I could not imagine the conditions that those men had to endure living out of fox holes in the dead of winter. I'm glad that most of my time in the Army was spent in the desert and jungle and not the cold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]
What about Africa.  Does that count as Europe?
I put ETO simply due to having studied Japanese culture a great deal.  Absolutely insane during that time period.  At least in ETO if you get taken prisoner you dont get beheaded, tortured (probably not) or used for medical testing.  The Japanese did some really horrible stuff.  And their suicidal fighting tactics scare the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#42]
If I had a choice, start in Africa and work my way north.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll take the pacific.

I don't like to fight in the cold.

and the beaches are nice once you clean up the blood and guts.

no they weren't.  malaria caused as many casualties as the japs.  american POWs in the eto were treated much better than others.  and at leash the germans were RELATIVLY civilized.  I think suicide would be preferable to being take prisoner by the japs.  see Bataan Death March.

and yes I know you were being sarcastic:)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My father's sentiments exactly.

Dad was a Marine in the PTO until he attracted enough Japanese steel to get a boat ride home. From what little I have left from him, he was also in the ETO but I can't be sure of the time lines except the pictures indicate he was in Europe before hostilities were wide spread. I actually have a couple of nice pictures of Winston Churchill and another commander reviewing troops with comments hand written by my father.

He absolutely hated war and had absolute disdain and hatred for politicians who advocated war. He hated VN and couldn't stand to watch the news or read about it. Yet 3 of his son's joined the military and served during war times. Despite his disdain for war, he was quite proud of our service to the nation.

9/12/01 would have been an interesting day to chat with the old man.

I know for certain he'd be spitting nails over the current administration, war withstanding.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Europe.

The German's are pretty much like us. Wounded need to be evacuated, prisoners should have a degree of human rights, and so on. And if you shove a Garand in their face, they usually think surrender is a better option than blowing up a grenade.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't want to be in a war. I would be most useful back home teaching them nuclear physics and jet engine design amongst other things. But if I have to go to war...

Put me up for ETO all the way. Slightly more "civilized" (as civilized as war is which it isn't). Obviously I prefer noncombat, but otherwise I'd like USAAF, any outfit except the 8th AF please. Casualty rate was higher for them than any other major command in the war!

If I have to go PTO, my post assignments in from most to least preferable:
1. F4U or F6F pilot (most fun)
2. Some other airplane pilot (still fun, not too dangerous unless in F4F or F2A)
3. Battleship (pretty safe!)
4. Supply ship
5. Ground Crew for the B-29s
6. Any other non-combat post
7. Any non-BB combat ship (kamakaze bait)
8. Army combat (super suck)
9. Marine combat (ultimate suck)
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hypothetically-speaking, if you had a choice to go to Europe (ETO) or the Pacific (PTO) during WW2, where would you want to go?

Me? I'd avoid going to the PTO at all costs! Bushido mentality is/was borderline psychotic..

Europe.
More tanks.

The same things that lead to me going 19K in modern days, would lead to me volunteering for Armor back then...

Our tanks sucked ass for most of the war, but being a tanker in a sucky tank with a 75mm main, plus 30-06 & 50cal MGs, beats being an infantry grunt walking & armed with only an 8-shot 30-06 rifle...

And of course, there's Patton....

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Pacific

I have nothing against the Axis in Europe
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nothing?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top