Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2009 10:52:20 AM EDT
When I'm driving at highway speeds and I hit a bump, the steering wheel jerks really hard and if I'm not holding tightly enough, it would come out of my grip.  I also think that there is less tension (can't think of a better word) when I turn the wheel.  I don't think that I have to turn it farther than before to get the same result.  It's not nearly as noticeable when I'm driving on surface streets.

It's a '01 Suburban and I've only had it for a couple of months.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
pitman

ball joints

wheel bearings

stearing box

not a mechanic but I'd definately jack the front up and start pokin around. somebody more qualified will  be able to help alittle more than i can
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a problem with your power steering.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything dealing with your steering needs to be checked out immediately by someone knowledgeable.. Id check for loose or broken front end parts. ball joints, tie rods etc etc and pronto...
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
shocks, bushings, or power steering.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Sway bar links? Pretty common for those to break.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Most things on a car that fail will simply cause it to shut down, and you will coast peacefully to the side of the road.

Steering problems are NOT one of those things.  Unless you (or hubby) are skilled enough to deal with it on your own, you need a mechanic ASAP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it make any sounds when you turn at low speeds?  Did you check your power steering fluid level?  Check for hose leaks in the PS system?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
"Bump steer" is a bitch.

Have your vehicle looked-over by a qualified alignment shop.

My guess?  Tie rods.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most things on a car that fail will simply cause it to shut down, and you will coast peacefully to the side of the road.

Steering problems are NOT one of those things.  Unless you (or hubby) are skilled enough to deal with it on your own, you need a mechanic ASAP.

Agreed - you do NOT want to be cruising down the highway (or worse, in a curve) when something in the steering system breaks loose.

Some years ago, my dad had a tie-rod replaced and a few weeks later, the (not properly tightened) end popped off. He rode a guard-rail down the interstate, banging up his truck and horse trailer along the way. Nobody was hurt, but he wasn't happy about it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#10]
2001 Suburban.....my guess is intermediate steering shaft or CV axles.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
tie rods or your rack and pinion.. check it out now.. losing stearing at speed will kill you dead....
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Tie rod ends can be really bad without you realizing it.  Our Aerostar started shaking one day at highway speed.  Jacked up the front end, and the wheels could be turned a few degrees on the steering axis!

Those weren't fun to replace, but I did it in the driveway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Ball joints, Shimmy Shock (Steering dampener), or other related front suspension ailments.  I just rebuilt the front end of my Dodge 4X4 for the same reason, she was hard to keep between the ditches.  lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a nut loose behind the wheel...
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Probably the most accurate.  Turned out to be a pitman arm.  Replaced pitman and idler arms.  Back to normal.  thanks.

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You can rule out CV axles or hubs. There'll be a little bit of dodge for bad ball joints, tie rods, or hubs, but not grip-breaking steering wheel movement, so those are probably out also.

I'd check either the pitman or idler arm, both are undersupported on that model truck, and are prone to failure.

Since I am not there I cannot jack it up and inspect everything myself, so take it to a qualified mechanic to have a look at it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
tie rods or your rack and pinion.. check it out now.. losing stearing at speed will kill you dead....

not on a Suburban....have the steering gear checked......these have a past history of failing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Pitman Arm

lol
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Death wobble.... Do you drive a Jeep????
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I'm driving at highway speeds and I hit a bump, the steering wheel jerks really hard and if I'm not holding tightly enough, it would come out of my grip.  I also think that there is less tension (can't think of a better word) when I turn the wheel.  I don't think that I have to turn it farther than before to get the same result.  It's not nearly as noticeable when I'm driving on surface streets.

Classic sign of a bad idler .arm..........Take it to a shop that specializes in frontend/alignment repair. SOON

edit

should have read whole thread
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the most accurate.  Turned out to be a pitman arm.  Replaced pitman and idler arms.  Back to normal.  thanks.

I think he was making a funny....
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]
had a problem like that.... New tires fixed it.. Just a thought
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
had a problem like that.... New tires fixed it.. Just a thought

should have read the whole thread... my bad
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Also, if it has a steering stabilizer, that may be worn and doing it.  That thing is supposed to keep bump steer to a minimum.  Also, bent steering linkage can cause it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know.  And as ARLady's Husband, I had to agree.

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ARLady:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know. And as ARLady's Husband, I had to agree.

Huh?
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Girly wrists?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#28]
there are steering sensors in some GM Suburban and Tahoe models

go to a good tire store that does front end work

and do not, I repeat do not go to Firestone unless you want to be screwed..

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#29]
A nervous twitch in your left arm?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This. It's a known problem and there are several TSB's on the ISS. I have an 04 Tahoe that doesn't have te "jerk" but it does have the "rattle". I think I will put it in this week.

Mike F

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Could be a dead hooker stuck on the tie rod.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. It's a known problem and there are several TSB's on the ISS. I have an 04 Tahoe that doesn't have te "jerk" but it does have the "rattle". I think I will put it in this week.

Mike F

Neither of these things will cause steering wheel jerk, at all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#33]
sounds like bump steer-check for bent tie rod or steering linkage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Work on them every day,  things i see that are Real common,  Number one most common is ,  Very loose Drag links,    tie rod ends,   ball joints,   Wheel bearings.   Loose drag links allow the whole steering rod assembly to oscillate,  may be a cause of bumpsteer if they are very bad.  Tie rod ends while a big issue will usually not cause a bumpsteer.     If it were my truck the first thing id look at is those damn drag links and pitman arm.  
Jack up and support the front with stands and grab a front tire with you hands at 9 and 3  O clock and see if you can turn them left and right if someone can help you have them watch the steering arms and the drag links,  if the drag links do anything other than move left and right,  they are probably the issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top