Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:35 PM EDT
Wife was on the phone with a friend. Friends daughter whacked a deer with her car. She is fine, car is totaled.
Daughter calls dad and he shows up at the scene. HUGE whitetail buck. Dad wants to keep the deer.
Cop says he can give it to anyone he wants and gave it to someone else who stopped.

Can the officer do that?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, it's yours if ya want it.  Cop sounds like a douche.A quick search shows this
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it be a bruised up, smashed up mess?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as I know, it's yours if ya want it.  Cop sounds like a douche.

+1 to this.

Up here you would call a game warden, he would tell the cop to go pound and you go home with the venison.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
tell the cop to eat a bag of dick and actually enforce the law he is charged with "enforcing"

fucking douchebag
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In TX you can if the game warden releases it to you.  However the GW in my county takes most of them to a processor who processes the deer for a local shelter.  He told us that they had to do that because folks over in East TX had hitting deer down to an art.  He said they'd hit the deer in the head with the side view mirror so as to not mess up any meat.  Sounded to me like they had too many deer to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Cops here in VA used to carry game tags just for this reason, don't know if they still do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If I hit one on the way home tonight, it will be going home in the back of my truck.  Not sure I'd call the cops?

Would probably call the insurance company first.  If they say call the cops then I'd do so.  Deer would be in the bed of the truck by the time the cop got there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have skinned out 2 that were killed by cars. One was not worth the time skinning because the meat was all bruised.

The other was a head only hit and was good eating.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to this.

Up here you would call a game warden, he would tell the cop to go pound and you go home with the venison.

I hit a deer a couple weeks ago, the night before youth day.  The deer was still alive so an ACO came out and shot it, then about 10 minutes later a State Trooper came out and gave me a tag for it.  Now it's in my freezer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is my understanding as well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You should probably still call the warden,  my dad once saw a deer get hit by a car, he called the conservation department and they let him take it.  Nothing like helping daddy gut a deer hanging on your swing set in the middle of a subdivision.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
In AZ you can't.

Our game&fish laws out here will put your ass in a sling if you get caught picking up any sort of trophy animal remains with a little bit of skin/hair still attached.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a matter of state law. In NH, road kill is property of the state. I think the state used to have a road kill auction and sell off the pelts (or frozen carcasses).

As for eating it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]
in WV its yours!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In AZ you can't.

Our game&fish laws out here will put your ass in a sling if you get caught picking up any sort of trophy animal remains with a little bit of skin/hair still attached.

Cops or AZGFD will issue a tag for road kill.

For instance look at these 7 Elk

Motorist survives after striking herd of elk with vehicle

A Gilbert man survived a collision with a herd of about seven elk on his way to work this week on Highway 260 near Payson.

Mark McElvain, 61, of Gilbert, was on his way to work from his Show Low summer home at around 6:45 a.m. Monday when the herd bolted in front of his Nissan Murano.

"The elk jumped in front of him from a hill next to the road," McElvain's wife, Toni, said.

McElvain swerved and landed in a ditch on the side of the road, but not before two elk went under the car and two more landed on his windshield. In all, seven animals were killed.

Car parts were spread out for about half a mile, said Toni. "It's truly a miracle that he was able to walk away from that, seeing how the car was left."

Mark McElvain said Department of Public Safety officials told him they had never seen an accident with so many elk involved.

McElvin suffered a few chemical burns from the airbag and a few minor scratches but was told he was in good condition by the paramedics who arrived at the scene, his wife said.

Accidents with wildlife around the Payson area are not unusual, said Sean Tanner, an Arizona native who has lived in Payson for more than three years and was the first person on the scene of the accident.

"This area between Star Valley and Payson
is a hot spot for these kinds of accidents," Tanner said.

Although several underground bridges have been established for wildlife crossings in the area, there are still elk that wander onto the roadway with oncoming traffic going between 55 and 65 mph.

An Arizona Game and Fish Department spokesperson for the Payson office, Bruce Sitko, said the department has been working with the Arizona Department of Transportation to minimize accidents involving wildlife. The several bridges that already exist are the result of such efforts.

DPS investigated another accident that day involving an elk that was struck by a Ford Taurus, said DPS spokesperson Harold Sanders.

According to Tanner, hunting season, which spans from Aug. 14 to the end of the year, is when the accidents happen the most. "At least one or two incidents of wildlife accidents are seen per week," he said.

Warning signs are posted along the road advising drivers of the dangers of wildlife crossing, but these are little help when elk jump in front of your car in a matter of seconds, he said.

Game and Fish officials issued salvage permits for the elk so that meat from the animals would not go to waste.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the State. In PA residents can keep it, non-residents may not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a matter of state law. In NH, road kill is property of the state. I think the state used to have a road kill auction and sell off the pelts (or frozen carcasses).

As for eating it.

A perfect example of how fucked up legislating is in general. what the fuck is wrong with people? how much money did the state expect to generate from crowds lining up to bid on carcasses?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for eating it.

A perfect example of how fucked up legislating is in general. what the fuck is wrong with people? how much money did the state expect to generate from crowds lining up to bid on carcasses?

It keeps rednecks from hunting with their dodge...fullclip

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to this.

This

The GW would issue you a permit for the meat and you would be good to go.  You fucked your car up you get it.

Unless its a moose...
Then while you are at the hospital getting checked out every swinging dick law man in three counties is cutting that shit up and taking it home before you get back.

Or so I have heard

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have skinned out 2 that were killed by cars. One was not worth the time skinning because the meat was all bruised.

The other was a head only hit and was good eating.

As of last night, there was one on I76 West of King of Prussia in PA. Just as you describe. No head, meat is probably fine. Or was last night.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Usually 1/3 to 1/2 the deer is lost to bruising. I salvaged one a couple years ago that had been hit by a Chrysler Pacifica. Didn't know it had been hit at 60 and RUN OVER. I was able to save a tenderloin and half a roast.

To answer the OP, the roadkill laws are state by state, and a deputy in my area is an ass about it. In IA if the driver wants the deer OK. If not the county has a waiting list and the deer goes to whoever's next. This particular deputy would immediately go to the waiting list(likely because a friend was on the list) and when he responded, no driver got the deer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Call 911 to sort it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBa0blUoE8U

HAHAHAHHAHA I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Where my Dad lives you go on a list. The Sheriff's office calls down the list until each person has been contacted and refused or accepted a carcass then they start from the top again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As for eating it.

No flame, but I've never seen that happen.  I'm sure it was like that in the past but not today.

Years ago, deer pelts were worth something.  Now you can't give them away, especially if they have been damaged by a car (vs. two bullet holes).

The cop will call the game warden.  Either the driver will get it.  If they don't want it, then there is usually someone who stops who wants it.  If no one wants it, the state has contracts with deer butchers who will salvage the meat and then it ends up at game suppers, etc.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah - you can keep the deer - but you probably won't want it.

Wacking it with your car will tear it up internally, so all the bile and crap in the intestine and stomach can get on the meat.

I remember my dad hit one and went out with the Sheriff to track and put it down.

One time he hit one with a Mazda GLC - which is a tiny, little car. He has the rack on his office wall, with the GLC logo below it. He called that car his .357 Mazda - haha.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#28]
In NY the owner of a vehicle that struck the animal (and the vehicle sustains damage) can keep it with a permit.  if the owner of the vehicle doesn't want it, the investigating police officer can at his discretion give it away to a third party on a permit.  Up here  it pretty much just save the Transportation dept from landfilling it somewhere.  

No damage, technically no deer but that's pretty rare.  usually any accident is at least $2k of autobody repairs.

Personally, I've cut into enough car hit deer and I don't want them.  There usually more than half bloodshot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#29]
In Utah, no.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In TX you can if the game warden releases it to you.  However the GW in my county takes most of them to a processor who processes the deer for a local shelter.  He told us that they had to do that because folks over in East TX had hitting deer down to an art.  He said they'd hit the deer in the head with the side view mirror so as to not mess up any meat.  Sounded to me like they had too many deer to begin with.

LOL i don't know why that made me laugh so hard
+2 though, sounds like the cop was a douche bag.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not if it was instantly killed.

You see, tissue bruises when blood vessels are damaged and there is still blood pressure.  No pressure, no flow.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
at home we call dnr, its up to them and their discretion.  It would be stupid not to let the person, but it is still up to the deer popo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Im pretty sure in PA you can.  Though I'd rather blast it a few times for ruining the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Question...can someone describe what bruised deer meat would be like? How inedible is it really?

Threw in that quick edit for you sick bastards out there.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In Utah, no.

There are exceptions to this rule.  But it helps to be on a first name basis with the man.  You can sometimes get a tag that clearly states "not for human consumption".   The meat tastes the same regardless what the tag says.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
In TN....yes
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If I hit one on the way home tonight, it will be going home in the back of my truck.  Not sure I'd call the cops?

Would probably call the insurance company first.  If they say call the cops then I'd do so.  Deer would be in the bed of the truck by the time the cop got there.

This.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#38]
In Colorado, yes.

Before they changed the law, my brother clipped one with a trailer, just managed to clip its neck and cut its throat, no meat damaged.  He had it hanging in his garage, skinned, when DOW showed up and took it with them.  I think they donated them to needy families back then.  Now he could keep it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Imagine that the Elk must not be reading the crossing signs.  
"Although several underground bridges have been established for wildlife crossings in the area, there are still elk that wander onto the roadway with oncoming traffic going between 55 and 65 mph. "
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I've hit 3 with a semi and claimed someone else's road kill once...

All 3 of my "kills" were head hits and were almost perfect.  Deer seem to have a blind spot for blue trucks...

Anyway, two were in MN, and one was in SD.  All 3 times I got a freezer tag from the first cop I saw.  No biggie.  Even the one I claimed, which had internal injuries, was not that bad to dress out.  No worse than a gut-shot deer.  I know all the one-shot one kill space shuttle sniper/door gunners on arfcomm have never gut shot a deer, but just saying...

ETA: the South Dakota deer was funny.  I was pulling a tanker trailer, so I had to tie the deer to the fender of the trailer behind the cab.  When I pulled into the weight station near Rapid City, the guys in the chicken house pulled me in so they could get a few polaroids of me and my victim!  lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I left work in Blacksburg, VA one night at 2am.....(Pizza shop manager while I was in school)....went to drive to NY to visit my Girlfriend (who was staying with her Aunt/Uncle for a few weeks).   On I-81, coming around near Salem, VA (driving a Mercury Lynx) at 80mph....a herd of deer in the highway.      I still don't know how I missed them all.

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#43]
In Wyoming you'd need to let the GW know. You can't touch it, harvest the meat, or cut the antlers off. I just responded to a yearling Antelope that'd been hit by a car. The driver didn't even stop or call it in, a passerby called it in to dispatch, said it was still kicking. We get there and it's toast. Pick it up and take it to the side of the road, call Game and Fish, then clear with a report. A lady in a Subaru drove by and made the sign of the cross, can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wife was on the phone with a friend. Friends daughter whacked a deer with her car. She is fine, car is totaled.
Daughter calls dad and he shows up at the scene. HUGE whitetail buck. Dad wants to keep the deer.
Cop says he can give it to anyone he wants and gave it to someone else who stopped.

Can the officer do that?

I've read some of the Fudd forums in the past and some of those guys have special cars they go out at night with. usually old early 70s buicks or mercurys.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I left work in Blacksburg, VA one night at 2am.....(Pizza shop manager while I was in school)....went to drive to NY to visit my Girlfriend (who was staying with her Aunt/Uncle for a few weeks).   On I-81, coming around near Salem, VA (driving a Mercury Lynx) at 80mph....a herd of deer in the highway.      I still don't know how I missed them all.

AFARR

I nearly hit a herd of moose in high school.  I was driving at night in the fog and suddenly there were a half dozen right in front of me!  Still don't know how the fuck I avoided them!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#46]
In AK, no.  The meat (moose) goes to the next person on the road kill list.  They have to show up and gut and quarter the moose themselves and dispose of the gut pile, hide and head.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#47]
An Engine company in my fire department hit one years back, it was a glancing blow off of the front bumper on the Engine, they took it back to the house, caped it out and salvaged the good meat.

The 10 pointers mount is still a dominant figure up on the wall in the day room.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#48]
IIRC, you can put your tag on one here in Washington, during hunting season, but the better question is why?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I actually hit a deer during MN hunting season.  I was a buck and I had a tag.  The trooper asked me if I wanted to just use mine.  I was like

I said "NO thanks, I'll take the free one!"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I know a guy here in PA who is pretty disabled and can't hunt anymore.  He actively hunted deer via the brush guard on his diesel Ram.  You have no idea how many drives he screwed up driving into the field to nail an 8-pointer.

He even got arrested one day when someone tried to take his "deer" that he leveled on a town side street.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top