Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2009 9:02:49 PM EDT
Just curious as to rules regarding shipping Upper and Lower Receiver Groups via US Postal Service and UPS? I know how they handle shipment of Pistols, but what do I need to know regarding shipping of upper and lower receivers via those two parcel delivery services? not regarding individual States laws of course. Can I simply box up the receiver groups in a non descript box, with nothing indicating it's firearm related??

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Upper Receivers can be shipped person to person, lower receivers must go through ffls. But not sure what your state laws are so might want to check that as well
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You can ship the entire gun straight to the buyer.  As long as you're in the same state.  otherwise, the lower needs to go thru an FFL.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just curious as to rules regarding shipping Upper and Lower Receiver Groups via US Postal Service and UPS? I know how they handle shipment of Pistols, but what do I need to know regarding shipping of upper and lower receivers via those two parcel delivery services? not regarding individual States laws of course. Can I simply box up the receiver groups in a non descript box, with nothing indicating it's firearm related??

Thank you in advance.

You can't ship a handgun through the US Postal Service unless you are a FFL.

You want to put it in a non-descript box with nothing to indicate it is a firearm. UPS requires you to notify them that it contains a firearm.

You can't send a firearm to a non-FFL in another state (unless you are a gunsmith/manufacturer, and you are returning the gun to its owner)
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok...so can I ship an AR Upper through the US Postal Service? and if I decide to ship via UPS, do I have to declare the package contains a "firearm" when it's really just the upper receiver?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Upper, don't stress. The lower is the important part. Where is it going? If you're shipping it to someone with an FFL say for engraving purposes, ship it normal, and they can ship it right back to you without going through an FFL even if they are out of state. If you're shipping out of state to an individual, it must go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok...so can I ship an AR Upper through the US Postal Service? and if I decide to ship via UPS, do I have to declare the package contains a "firearm" when it's really just the upper receiver?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

The upper receiver is not the firearm and has no restrictions in regards to shipping.  The lower receiver is what is considered to be the firearm.  You can ship lower receivers through USPS to an FFL, if the buyer is another state, just not handguns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Upper, don't stress. The lower is the important part. Where is it going? If you're shipping it to someone with an FFL say for engraving purposes, ship it normal, and they can ship it right back to you without going through an FFL even if they are out of state. If you're shipping out of state to an individual, it must go through an FFL.

Thanks for the response. So it's cool to ship in non descript package (Upper receiver only complete with BCG) via US Postal Service without declaring it's a "firearm"? I'm actually send out two uppers, one to Tx. and one to Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the response. So it's cool to ship in non descript package (Upper receiver only complete with BCG) via US Postal Service without declaring it's a "firearm"? I'm actually send out two uppers, one to Tx. and one to Colorado.

You are 100% good to go. The lower is technically the firearm, due to it being serialized. Uppers are not restricted, as far as shipping goes. No worries.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top