Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:07:08 PM EDT
I am in a shitty mood right now - which is not normal for me but my two favorite college football programs both need new coaches it seems to me.    Tressel seems to have forgotten how to win big, close games against  quality opponents and Weis just seems to have forgotten how to win period.   I have always wondered why Lou Holtz left Notre Dame when he did.    What was/were the real reasons?  What is going on there behind the scenes?

And another thing......I think the Buckeyes would have been better off if Pryor had gone elsewhere.    He was a great high school quarterback because he was much bigger and faster than the average high school player.    Things didn't go so well against USC's linebackers, who were just as big and strong as him, did they?     Notre Dame's quarterback (Clausen)  had a similar situation in California in high school in that he played with very good players around him.    Pryor is NOT a quarterback and is NOT developing into one, in my humble opinion, to the degree needed.  I believe Penn State will also beat the Buckeyes and, who knows, even Michigan if they play their best and continue to develop from the first two weeks.  Notre Dame will lose several more this year too.   Clausen IS a quarterback, but just not as great as everyone thought he was going to be, based upon his high school performance.     He willl need help from the other offensive players.    

Well, I hope YOUR favorite team is off to a better start than mine.......Rant over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
GO BLUE!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm staying the night right next to Ohio State tonight.  Let me say that so far this place looks less than exciting.

-X
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Until Tressell starts losing to Michigan he will never be questioned.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Tressel....NO

Weis........YES

Be careful what you ask for...we got rid of Solich after 53-17 (which I agree with) and got Bill Callafraud after he was fired from Oakland.

We are just now rebuilding under Bo and these things don't happen overnight...although Bo's doing an excellent job with our young men.

HH
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Tressel....NO

A scathing review of "Tressel ball".

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

GO BLUE!

It's funny having read some real football forums for like Michigan State and Ohio State. I see some Ohio State fans asking if they could trade Pryor for Forcier. Or Michigan State and Ohio State fans starting to sweat it out when talking about Michigan's spread offense and having their own little debates on the best ways to stop it. LOL

Michigan on the RISE, and Ohio State on the DECLINE.

Vesty's new nickname seems to be Lloyd Tressel. I hope the Buckeyes don't fire him too soon. I want Rich Rod to get us some payback for those years that Sweatervest did to Lloyd Carr.

GO BLUE!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tressel....NO

A scathing review of "Tressel ball".

Soooo...who's gonna replace him?  Who'd want to come to Columbus if HE was fired?  The prospective coach would look at his record, and go..."Oh shit."  Same thing happened to us with Solich.  Callafraud was the 6th choice, but I'll add that our AD at the time was a fucking moron from hell.

Be very careful what you ask for.

HH
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]

I always wonder why people blame coaches when a team goes through a losing streak. A team could lose a number of starters to graduation and/or the draft. With inexperienced or lower quality talent, the team starts losing. Recruits don't want to join a losing team, so fewer quality and standout players join the team. The downward spiral continues.

Now, this isn't to say the coach is never at fault. Ron Zook was a terrible coach for Florida. Urban Meyer came in, gave the team a major attitude adjustment, and started refining the players he had while recruiting hard.

There is nothing like matt drills during two a days to get rid of players' selfish ways. Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
They will eventually let Pryor run the ball by design.   It's the best way to use him.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GO BLUE!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Michigan sucks.

Weis is fine he just needs a play caller. We're just getting the ball rolling. We've still got great recruit classes that haven't set foot on the field yet.

We basically gave Michigan the game. Minus all the mistakes, that BS called back first TD and Weis' bad call at the end to throw, we out played them most of the game. Gotta tighten it up and we'll be a great team.

Michigan has a pushover schedule until Penn State when they'll get a wake up call that they're not as good as they think they are and don't belong in the top 25. An upset before that wouldn't surprise me either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Two favorite teams?

Pick one and stick with them for life. BOILER UP!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Michigan sucks.

Weis is fine he just needs a play caller. We're just getting the ball rolling. We've still got great recruit classes that haven't set foot on the field yet.

We basically gave Michigan the game. Minus all the mistakes, that BS called back first TD and Weis' bad call at the end to throw, we out played them most of the game. Gotta tighten it up and we'll be a great team.

Michigan has a pushover schedule until Penn State when they'll get a wake up call that they're not as good as they think they are and don't belong in the top 25. An upset before that wouldn't surprise me either.

If Michigan sucks, what does that say about your Irish team?

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Michigan sucks.

We blew the game. Why don't you read next time. Doesn't mean Michigan is the better team. You got outplayed until 30 seconds was left on the clock.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Michigan sucks.

I'd take RichRod many times before Weis.  Just wait till he has HIS kids in place.  Weis is a good guy, but he belongs in the NFL...just like Callafraud.

JMO

HH
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I have to say is...............

GO GATORS!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Michigan sucks.

We blew the game. Why don't you read next time. Doesn't mean Michigan is the better team. You got outplayed until 30 seconds was left on the clock.

Same thing happened in 2008. Michigan had better statistics but still lost the game (because of turn overs). Now we're even.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
GO BLUE!

It's funny having read some real football forums for like Michigan State and Ohio State. I see some Ohio State fans asking if they could trade Pryor for Forcier. Or Michigan State and Ohio State fans starting to sweat it out when talking about Michigan's spread offense and having their own little debates on the best ways to stop it. LOL

Michigan on the RISE, and Ohio State on the DECLINE.

Vesty's new nickname seems to be Lloyd Tressel. I hope the Buckeyes don't fire him too soon. I want Rich Rod to get us some payback for those years that Sweatervest did to Lloyd Carr.

GO BLUE!

........and on the 7th day, God created U of M !

M GO BLUE
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Michigan sucks.

Same thing happened in 2008. Michigan had better statistics but still lost the game (because of turn overs). Now we're even.

That's pretty much how the rivalry has gone for the last 25 years. It's a pretty even record. Both teams are going to do well this year because the Big 10 blows and most of ND's usual rivals are in slump years. The schedule could have helped, but now it only hurts since there's only one way to get back on top by beating USC. I don't see anyone else on the schedule getting ranked.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
it doesn't matter what either of these teams do. come january they will suck and not even be close to a national championship game.

Goooooooooooooooooooooo Gators

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Michigan sucks.

That's pretty much how the rivalry has gone for the last 25 years. It's a pretty even record. Both teams are going to do well this year because the Big 10 blows and most of ND's usual rivals are in slump years. The schedule could have helped, but now it only hurts since there's only one way to get back on top by beating USC. I don't see anyone else on the schedule getting ranked.

Well I hope so. Hell I hope ND beats USC. All that would make my Wolverines look even better.

The only time I don't like Notre Dame is week they play Michigan.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]

After the game

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
HOOK 'EM HORNS
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#24]
As a Gator fan..I hope they keep Ohio State going to the BCS NC bowl game! Gosh..those are the best games we have. We have harder time with FSU and the SEC than OSU.

We should schedule OSU for our Homecoming.

Notre Dame? Uhhhh...every loss is always a time to celebrate!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Be careful what you ask for...we got rid of Solich after 53-17 (which I agree with) and got Bill Callafraud after he was fired from Oakland.

We are just now rebuilding under Bo and these things don't happen overnight...although Bo's doing an excellent job with our young men.

HH
HH, after watching his tour out here in Oakland, I couldn't believe you guys thought you were getting a quality program. Glad to see Bo's making headway - I'd welcome seeing the 'Huskers in contention again.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As a Gator fan..I hope they keep Ohio State going to the BCS NC bowl game! Gosh..those are the best games we have. We have harder time with FSU and the SEC than OSU.

What's the fun in watching uncompetitive football?

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the fun in watching uncompetitive football?

It's hard to be humble and from Florida!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think pryor has gotten one little bit better this yr. Now, it seems the coach wants to get him ready for his pro career, so he is making him stay in the pocket and pass the football and he just does not have the touch of the other 10 QBs in the league let alone in the country. Can he run....heck yes, but he is not going to be a high round QB draft choice if he cannot throw it. So, meanwhile OSU will suffer so this guy can get his career going.
Then what is worse for us, Mich. goes out are gets a QB, who may well be the best in the conference and he is only a frosh....the only thing we can hope for is that he goes pro early. I would never hope for a guy to get hurt, it is just a sport. He sure looks good and his determination is even better than his great talent.
I went into Woody Hayes office one day and on the wall of his office, he only had the picture of one athlete.  PETE ROSE. Pete was still playing in his prime for the Reds at that time. I asked Woody why?
Woody says; You give me 11 players with the determination and heart of Pete Rose and I will give you the National Championship...  I thought it odd he did not say 22 players. But Woody was very good with words and said what he meant.
I do think Tressel has not done a very good job the last few yrs. In the really big games his defensive game plan was really bad. His offensive game plans were worse.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't think pryor has gotten one little bit better this yr. Now, it seems the coach wants to get him ready for his pro career, so he is making him stay in the pocket and pass the football and he just does not have the touch of the other 10 QBs in the league let alone in the country. Can he run....heck yes, but he is not going to be a high round QB draft choice if he cannot throw it. So, meanwhile OSU will suffer so this guy can get his career going.

Then what is worse for us, Mich. goes out are gets a QB, who may well be the best in the conference and he is only a frosh....the only thing we can hope for is that he goes pro early. I would never hope for a guy to get hurt, it is just a sport. He sure looks good and his determination is even better than his great talent.

I went into Woody Hayes office one day and on the wall of his office, he only had the picture of one athlete.  PETE ROSE. Pete was still playing in his prime for the Reds at that time. I asked Woody why?

Woody says; You give me 11 players with the determination and heart of Pete Rose and I will give you the National Championship...  I thought it odd he did not say 22 players. But Woody was very good with words and said what he meant.

I do think Tressel has not done a very good job the last few yrs. In the really big games his defensive game plan was really bad. His offensive game plans were worse.

Wow! A Buckeye fan showing humility! Who would have thought!?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
marv levy and jim tressel belong in the same group. which is to say at least they made it to the big game several times... how many others can say they made it 1 time?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Weis is history. No doubt about it. If he wins out he might stay. One more loss this year and he is done.

Lou Holtz is no longer the coach of the Fighting Irish, because no coach will ever be allowed to pass Rockne in wins. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Weis is history. No doubt about it. If he wins out he might stay. One more loss this year and he is done.

Lou Holtz is no longer the coach of the Fighting Irish, because no coach will ever be allowed to pass Rockne in wins. Simple as that.

your right about the rockne part but lou also tends to rack up ncaa violations.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

marv levy and jim tressel belong in the same group. which is to say at least they made it to the big game several times... how many others can say they made it 1 time?

There is a ton of coaches who has went to the BCS Championship game, it's not a SUPER exclusive club.
Ohio State got there in 2006 and 2007 by scheduling games against teams like Youngstown or Bowling Green. The only tough games they played were against Big 10 conference teams. They only RECENTLY scheduled a decent non-conference opponent.

And they lost... At HOME, to a team with a freshman QB, with most it's veteran players gone and having left to the draft, and a simple as hell game plan where his job was just to hand the ball off to the HB. The USC of the past 8 years would have wiped the floor with this present USC team. And OSU couldn't even take advantage of that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Notre Dame extended Weis's contract out to like 2015 for over 30 million.  It'd take some serious cash to buy that out and hire a new coach.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a ton of coaches who has went to the BCS Championship game, it's not a SUPER exclusive club.

Ohio State got there in 2006 and 2007 by scheduling games against teams like Youngstown or Bowling Green. The only tough games they played were against Big 10 conference teams. They only RECENTLY scheduled a decent non-conference opponent.

And they lost... At HOME, to a team with a freshman QB, with most it's veteran players gone and having left to the draft, and a simple as hell game plan where his job was just to hand the ball off to the HB. The USC of the past 8 years would have wiped the floor with this present USC team. And OSU couldn't even take advantage of that.

your right its not super exclusive... big difference between going once and multiple times.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Notre Dame extended Weis's contract out to like 2015 for over 30 million.  It'd take some serious cash to buy that out and hire a new coach.

Do you have any idea how deep the pockets are of the boosters that graduated from ND?

You don't think the schools buy those contracts out do you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were plenty of alumni ready to do just that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't that after beating Hawaii?

Though seriously, I think Notre Dame is a pretty good team. They're not elite like Florida and Texas, but they're pretty good. I think they could win the rest of the way. Michigan has a decently talented secondary, and it seemed like an act of futility at trying to stop their passing attack.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Though seriously, I think Notre Dame is a pretty good team. They're not elite like Florida and Texas, but they're pretty good. I think they could win the rest of the way. Michigan has a decently talented secondary, and it seemed like an act of futility at trying to stop their passing attack.

Pretty good is not good enough for ND.

They have higher expectations than that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#40]
There's nothing wrong with Tressel.  Ohio State fans just don't understand that the world doesn't revolve around Columbus and other teams don't necessarily bend to their will.   OSU fans, they'd gripe if you hung 'em with a new rope.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ridiculous, they can be an elite team again. But what happened for the last 20+ years? Did the Alumni just wake up????? Notre Dame hasn't been a very good team since the 80's.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's nothing wrong with Tressel.  Ohio State fans just don't understand that the world doesn't revolve around Columbus and other teams don't necessarily bend to their will.   OSU fans, they'd gripe if you hung 'em with a new rope.

Tressel is a great coach and isn't going anywhere.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ridiculous, they can be an elite team again. But what happened for the last 20+ years? Did the Alumni just wake up????? Notre Dame hasn't been a very good team since the 80's.

Do you think any of the Alum have been happy?

Hell they thought enough of Weis to get him from the NFL. They aren't going to wait around any longer for him to get better. He has like a 30 win to 20 loss record. That's not good enough.

He won't be the coach at ND next year if he has any more loses.

The is the place that forced Holtz to resign. AND he was kicking everyones ass. Are you forgetting that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell they thought enough of Weis to get him from the NFL. They aren't going to wait around any longer for him to get better. He has like a 30 win to 20 loss record. That's not good enough.

The is the place that forced Holtz to resign. AND he was kicking everyones ass. Are you forgetting that?

No.

I think everyone SHOULD be worried though. If Weis is fired, and Notre Dame gets Brian Kelly to be their next headcoach..... that's going to be a really scary combination. If it happens.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any idea how deep the pockets are of the boosters that graduated from ND?

You don't think the schools buy those contracts out do you?

Yes, I know the boosters raise the money.  I guess being a Nebraska fan and seeing the buyout of Callahan which was just around 4 million the idea of boosters raising over 30 million to fire and hire a new coach seems ridiculous to me.

I think it'd take another 3-9 season to get that ball rolling.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

I think everyone SHOULD be worried though. If Weis is fired, and Notre Dame gets Brian Kelly to be their next headcoach..... that's going to be a really scary combination. If it happens.

Urban Meyer has stated a number of times that Notre Dame is his dream job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#48]
"Go Horns"
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Urban Meyer has stated a number of times that Notre Dame is his dream job.

Yeah, and he ALSO stated he WON'T leave Florida until his kids graduate.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Shining example of a Notre Dame fan. Typical, puffing out their chests after beating Nevada.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top