Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a hard time accepting the evolution theory not because it contradicts the bible but because it contradicts statistical probability that complex organisms could organize their cells in a manner to form organs that perform distinct funtions required for life before the organism dies from not having that function performed.  i.e. I can put all the pieces of a disassembled toaster in a box and shake it forever and the result will never be an assembled toaster when I open the box.

In other news did you know the originator of the Big Bang Theory was a Roman Catholic preist who devolped the theory, in part, because it didn't contradict his beliefs in the Bible?  Other scientists at the time including Einstein didn't think there was merit to his Theory.  It wasn't until Hubble discovered the expanding universe the Big Bang theory took hold.

Actually, it doesn't contradict statistical probability.  You should probably take some time and study statistics and probability.

ETA: also, as Subnet says.  You fail at understanding how evolution works.

Reality is: If I shake the toaster components forever I'll end up with a box of plastic and metal dust.  Therfor the toaster parts will asymtotically approach assembly probablity of 0. (Yes, I know I'm confusing the theoretical with the practical but it's my nature )

Now on to evolution... I will certianly not claim to have studied it in depth but I have not found a good explanation put forth in a fashion understandable to a minimally interested layman (this is the root of my "problem") of how we went from simple organisms to complex organisms in the Cambrian.  How did an organism survive through many generations or attempts until one that had a circulatory system, excreatory system, endocrinsystem, nerveous system, etc. was created.  And yes, again I will admit it is theoretically possible but I have issues with the practical application of the theory.  I'm not good at the religion of evolution.

Perhaps we should talk about some less controvestial theories such as Global Warming.

You don't even really have to study it in depth, I think an 8th grade or high school text biology text book would probably be a good start.  And I don't mean that as an offense but we really aren't talking about graduate level material here.  Evolution is quite the opposite of random.

To use your box of toaster parts analogy, its more liike you sat there assembling it every way possible until you found the assembly that not only made toast but also made really good toast.

Yes, I get the theory at the 8th grade level.  I'm still having issues making the jump from simple organisms to complex organisms using natural selection.

So you are suggesting God assembled the pieces to make complex organisms?

You'll have to pick one or the other.  If you believe evolution is the equivelant of shaking a box of toaster parts and getting a toaster out of the deal then you don't understand evolution at an 8th grade level.  There is no shame in admitting you don't, better to learn and move on.    If you do though and don't actually believe what you said about the toaster box, then you're being intentionally obtuse and trying to derail an academic discussion for your own non-intellectual reasons.  

So which is it?  Ignorance or just dishonesty?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Something is holding my ass to the earth right now.  That is a fact.

Yep!

And something is causing living organisms to change slowly over time, such that eventually, two separate branches or "paths" of development that once shared a common ancestor are no longer able to reproduce with one another. They are, at some point, "different". They're so different, we call each one it's own species. We've observed this phenomenon, and it's a fact that it happens.

We decided to call that "something" you observed gravity, and we have a theory that explains how it works. That other thing we've all observed, we decided to call evolution, and we have a theory that explains how that works, too.

And the thing is, both theories are really, really, really, good. When you understand either one, a lightbulb illuminates over your head, and you say "Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense. That's pretty cool".

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monkeys can't build the AR platform.

Exactly!

why are there still monkeys?

Why do you still have cousins?

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me start this by saying I am a Christian and have grown up in the church.  I believe in God and His son Jesus Christ.  This thread is not meant to demean or criticize, it is exclusively meant to find an answer to something I have been wondering.  So please, do not let this turn into a nasty debate between creationists and evolutionists, OK?  I am simply looking for info for my own personal reasons.  That said, let's try this...

Like I said, I have always believed that God created the Earth and man.  I never really believed in a literal interpretation of the Bible, but, like I said, having grown up in the church, I always did and still do believe in God and that he created us.  However, when I was a freshamn in college I took a physical anthropology class.  The professor was talking about evolution of humans and the different types of humans that came before us.  She put a bunch of skulls up on her desk going fro ones that looked like monkeys and eneded w/ one that could have been you or me w/ a bunch on the middle that each had small changed in it.  Pretty tough to dispute that.  Also, I was always taught that God created humans and animals an what not at about the same time, but I know dinosaurs are real and they obviously came millions of years before us, so what gives?  Lastly, a lot of people say the Earth is only 6,000 years old (I assume they are reading the Bible literally), to if you believe that, how do you explain all the scientific evidence to the contrary?

Again, plese don;t let this turn ugly because it will just get locked.  I am not looking for debate, just theories and how you explain this stuff if you believe in creation.  Like I said, I do believe in creation, but I don;t know how to explain the overwhelming and rather obvious evidence.  What say you?

1) The 6,000yo folks are off in their own world...

2) What most of us say regarding evolution, is that intra-species evolution (eg, first dog -> thousands of dog breeds) is God's design, but that the original species were all created, vis-a-vis Genesis....

So the Monkeys to Men thing? Well, God used similar 'design' when he created the first monkey, and the first man...

But the whole single celled organism all the way 'up' to humanity theory of evolution? Sorry, it's much more 'probable' that everything was created, than that life won the lottery that many times, that many different ways....

Best, most concise answer i've seen to this debate.

The idea that from complete randomness sprung all the different plants/animals/sponges/bacteria/birds/assholes/trees/fungus/fish/spores is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The idea that from complete randomness sprung all the different plants/animals/sponges/bacteria/birds/assholes/trees/fungus/fish/spores is ridiculous.

Well congratulations, because evolutionary biologists agree with you. It's not completely random. There are natural forces that (*gasp*, dare I even use the word for fear of what some will infer next) direct the process.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Im in late but Im in..
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Something is holding my ass to the earth right now.  That is a fact.

Yep!

And something is causing living organisms to change slowly over time, such that eventually, two separate branches or "paths" of development that once shared a common ancestor are no longer able to reproduce with one another. They are, at some point, "different". They're so different, we call each one it's own species. We've observed this phenomenon, and it's a fact that it happens.

We decided to call that "something" you observed gravity, and we have a theory that explains how it works. That other thing we've all observed, we decided to call evolution, and we have a theory that explains how that works, too.

And the thing is, both theories are really, really, really, good. When you understand either one, a lightbulb illuminates over your head, and you say "Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense. That's pretty cool".

gorilla glue?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Well..........it's still called the THEORY of evolution for a reason now isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My huge penis is enough proof of evolution for me....

well maybe its retro-evolution?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
re: 'Dr' Dino.

Wow. Just... wow.

What a sham and a crook. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Dino#Property_taxes_and_zoning_ordinance
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!

Why do you still have cousins?

Wow, I love this answer.

Asking "why are there still monkeys" would be like asking "ok subnet, since you are so great with computers, and are doing very well in you career, how come your cousin, who is a certified welder still has a job?"

Obviously you and your cousin aren't competing for jobs because you both have vastly different skill sets.

Assuming that humans are "better" than animals is like assuming someone who works in IT is "better" than someone who works in a technical field...which is just not true.

Sure, one may have to jump through more hoops to get a degree to get a "white collar" job...but that for damned sure doesn't mean that the person in the technical field is any less, skilled, intelligent or less of a professional.

It is similar when comparing species in nature.

Just because we humans are specialized as ground dwelling tool using primates, doesn't mean we'd do well as a arboreal, omnivorous primates.  Or that we are "more evolved" than them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Question: How do Christians explain evolution?

Answer: They don't. They lie and distort, bully and cry like babies; hoping to get their way.

Evolution is ONLY considered a "theory" because it can't be reproduced in a lab. Trust me - evolution is a fact.

*And that's coming from a guy who's SUPER CONSERVATIVE! But, I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise my either my intelligence nor my integrity so I'll "get along" with crazy fuckin', "religamites" who are only marginally better than whacko  Islamists. You know the ones I mean: the ones who say that Christ wants 'em to kill people who don't think like they do - and who think if you don't subscribe to their specific ideology, that you're going to burn in their mythical "hell" and that you can't get into Heaven w/o saying magical words: espousing Jesus as your Lord & Savior.

Being a conscientious and spiritual creature, I have no doubt that I'm a better "christian" than most ALL of those self-righteous sons o bitches! Walking the walk is what's important, people! Get over yourselves!

**This response is NOT directed at anyone who posted in this thread - nor to anyone belonging to ARFcom. I didn't bother reading any posts but the OP's question and if anyone is insulted . . . well, too bad I guess. If you're insulted, maybe you should take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask yourself some pretty probing questions!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Answer: They don't. They lie and distort, bully and cry like babies; hoping to get their way.

Evolution is ONLY considered a "theory" because it can't be reproduced in a lab. Trust me - evolution is a fact.

*And that's coming from a guy who's SUPER CONSERVATIVE! But, I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise my either my intelligence nor my integrity so I'll "get along" with crazy fuckin', "religamites" who are only marginally better than whacko  Islamists. You know the ones I mean: the ones who say that Christ wants 'em to kill people who don't think like they do - and who think if you don't subscribe to their specific ideology, that you're going to burn in their mythical "hell" and that you can't get into Heaven w/o saying magical words: espousing Jesus as your Lord & Savior.

Being a conscientious and spiritual creature, I have no doubt that I'm a better "christian" than most ALL of those self-righteous sons o bitches! Walking the walk is what's important, people! Get over yourselves!

**This response is NOT directed at anyone who posted in this thread - nor to anyone belonging to ARFcom. I didn't bother reading any posts but the OP's question and if anyone is insulted . . . well, too bad I guess. If you're insulted, maybe you should take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask yourself some pretty probing questions!

not insulted...just amused.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well..........it's still called the THEORY of evolution for a reason now isn't it?

Maybe you should learn what the word THEORY means.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Well why the fuck not .

I believe that there is a God, I think he/it is the reason, I also believe in evolution, and I think that is the how.  Other then that as long as you guys like guns then we will get along just fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should learn what the word THEORY means.

Exactly. These people who make these moronic statements like "If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" "It's called a THEORY for a reason!!" wave these statements around like some profound conversation ender. Far from it, more like a statement of ridiculous ignorance and lack of basic education. As to it being "just" a theory.....
Quoted:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0411/feature1/fulltext.html
Evolution
by natural selection, the central concept of the life's work of Charles
Darwin, is a theory. It's a theory about the origin of adaptation,
complexity, and diversity among Earth's living creatures. If you are
skeptical by nature, unfamiliar with the terminology of science, and
unaware of the overwhelming evidence, you might even be tempted to say
that it's "just" a theory. In the same sense, relativity as described
by Albert Einstein is "just" a theory.
The notion that Earth
orbits around the sun rather than vice versa, offered by Copernicus in
1543, is a theory. Continental drift is a theory. The existence,
structure, and dynamics of atoms? Atomic theory. Even electricity is a
theoretical construct, involving electrons, which are tiny units of
charged mass that no one has ever seen. Each of these theories is an
explanation that has been confirmed to such a degree, by observation
and experiment, that knowledgeable experts accept it as fact.
That's
what scientists mean when they talk about a theory: not a dreamy and
unreliable speculation, but an explanatory statement that fits the
evidence. They embrace such an explanation confidently but
provisionally—taking it as their best available view of reality, at
least until some severely conflicting data or some better explanation
might come along
.<snip>

There is not one shred of actual evidence to support the version of creation in Genesis.
And no, the Bible doesn't qualify as actual proof/evidence of anything. Authors simply claiming something, particularly the supernatural, is not something we take at face value in 2009 and certainly not something we take at face value written by ancient people who had no clue how their world worked on the most basic level.
The Genesis version of events is no more supported by "evidence" than the Aztecs Earth Mother story or the Hawaiians story of Pele. These myths do not represent facts. They represent ancient people assigning explanation through mythology. Quite literally, nothing more.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do you mean "still?"

Are you implying that there's a way for a theory to graduate to something more?

Because if so, you are wrong.

Electricity is "still" a theory.

The idea that planets revolve around the sun instead of the earth is called the Heliocentric Theory.  Yes, "still," all these years after Copernicus.

Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

False.  See my post before this one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Evolution is more of a claim of what occurred in history than it is science.

There is no science endeavor that is impeded by not believing evolution, in spite of what most evolutionists claim in this regard.

The evidence that is presented claiming to support evolution is either anecdotal and/or based on grossly speculative assumptions.

Evolution cannot be reproduced, tested, experimented on or observed and hence the scientific method cannot be applied to it. This is not insignificant!! Evolution is the only area of science that gets a pass on the basic fundamentals of what is required to classify something as “scientific”.

Evolution is partially a belief system and partially an attempt to claim specific events occurred in history.

Experiments in microbiology that demonstrate adaptation or immunity are not “evidence” of evolution. The argument is routinely attempted to be made that if a bacteria specimen develops immunity to an antibiotic that such occurrence is an example of evolution and therefore qualifies as proof that a human being and a paramecium have a common ancestor if you go back far enough in history of their family trees. Such claims are common and insultingly absurd and unscientific on the most elementary level.

Dozens of creatures found fossilized over the last 200 years have been initially declared to be extinct for tens of millions of years upon discovery and then later have found to be living today. Yet, evolutionists can never be held accountable for these arrogant declarations of supposed “scientific fact” since they simply change their story to accommodate these inconsistencies. This chronic behavior is a display of the high level of arrogance of evolutionists and their need to claim anything new as “evidence of evolution” because they are so desperate to press new discoveries into their already-formed belief about what occurred in history.

Not one single verified “common ancestor” of a creature living today and a fossilized extinct creature has ever been identified. Not one.

Ever have anyone come to you and ask “Do you believe in physics?” or “Do you believe in biology?” or “Do you believe in geology?”. There is no evidence for evolution, otherwise, there would be no debate on the matter and no one would ever ask such a commonly-asked question as “Do you believe in evolution?”
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is no science endeavor that is impeded by not believing evolution, in spite of what most evolutionists claim in this regard.

The evidence that is presented claiming to support evolution is either anecdotal and/or based on grossly speculative assumptions.

Evolution cannot be reproduced, tested, experimented on or observed and hence the scientific method cannot be applied to it. This is not insignificant!! Evolution is the only area of science that gets a pass on the basic fundamentals of what is required to classify something as “scientific”.

Evolution is partially a belief system and partially an attempt to claim specific events occurred in history.

Experiments in microbiology that demonstrate adaptation or immunity are not “evidence” of evolution. The argument is routinely attempted to be made that if a bacteria specimen develops immunity to an antibiotic that such occurrence is an example of evolution and therefore qualifies as proof that a human being and a paramecium have a common ancestor if you go back far enough in history of their family trees. Such claims are common and insultingly absurd and unscientific on the most elementary level.

Dozens of creatures found fossilized over the last 200 years have been initially declared to be extinct for tens of millions of years upon discovery and then later have found to be living today. Yet, evolutionists can never be held accountable for these arrogant declarations of supposed “scientific fact” since they simply change their story to accommodate these inconsistencies. This chronic behavior is a display of the high level of arrogance of evolutionists and their need to claim anything new as “evidence of evolution” because they are so desperate to press new discoveries into their already-formed belief about what occurred in history.

Not one single verified “common ancestor” of a creature living today and a fossilized extinct creature has ever been identified. Not one.

Ever have anyone come to you and ask “Do you believe in physics?” or “Do you believe in biology?” or “Do you believe in geology?”. There is no evidence for evolution, otherwise, there would be no debate on the matter and no one would ever ask such a commonly-asked question as “Do you believe in evolution?”

Your grammar and vocabulary aside, that's just a bunch of hogwash. I'd say that qualifies as fact!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been meaning to tag this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The theory of evolution is silent on the origin of life.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

In other words, God created everything, including evolution.

No problem.

Yep. To put a crude point on it, life is like a rifle. The owner(God) gets an idea of something that might work out better so He changes it. About like you or me saving some money and buying a better stock, bipod and scope for a rifle we bought 10 years ago. It works, but would work better with some additions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's a very pretty fail-cake you've baked there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your grammar and vocabulary aside, that's just a bunch of hogwash. I'd say that qualifies as fact!

Agreed. The assertions in that post are absolutely asinine.

To suggest modern science has less of a grip on this subject and is less compitent than the supernatural assertions in a single book written by ANCIENT PEOPLE...are you kidding?!?

One book. A single ancient book is somehow more credible than the collective of all modern science? Mmmmm k...gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Evolution happens.  Creatures adapt to their environment, survival of the fittest, etc.  But what anyone has yet to prove is that one species has evolved into another.

Can an animal , human, etc...change its own DNA to adapt to the world around it?  Evolution seems to hinge on getting people to buy into this. Then once you've bought into it the next explanation is that has to take millions of years to acommodate/acomplish this feat of self-engineering.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evolution happens.  Creatures adapt to their environment, survival of the fittest, etc.  But what anyone has yet to prove is that one species has evolved into another.

Can an animal , human, etc...change its own DNA to adapt to the world around it?  Evolution seems to hinge on getting people to buy into this. Then once you've bought into it the next explanation is that has to take millions of years to acommodate/acomplish this feat of self-engineering.

You make it sound like you believe this is an act of concentration, will, and self determination.  There is no "self-engineering" involved.  An animal can't wish itself wings anymore than I can wish myself telekinetic powers. This is pretty basic stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

In other words, God created everything, including evolution.

No problem.

What about the prospect that evolution "created" humans (100% accepted in the scientific community) and in turn humans created god?

DING DING DING, what did johnny WIN!?

Nothing. It was the wrong answer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!

We did not evolve from modern day monkeys.  Both monkeys, and humans evolved from a common ancestor LONG ago.  That ancestor is no longer here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dozens of creatures found fossilized over the last 200 years have been initially declared to be extinct for tens of millions of years upon discovery and then later have found to be living today. Yet, evolutionists can never be held accountable for these arrogant declarations of supposed “scientific fact” since they simply change their story to accommodate these inconsistencies.

First off - they aren't the exact same species as the fossilized creatures - such as coelocanths(sp) and horseshoe crabs.

Second off - you aren't being honest with the issue if you focus on the handful of 'living fossils' and yet ignore the mountain of other evidence. There are many reasons these creatures are relatively unchanged for a long time.

There may be much much more 'living fossils'  if we haven't had 5 MASSIVE extinction events (and several smaller ones) that wiped out most of the life on earth at various times in its history. I would contend that many of the creatures living at the abyss in the sea are probably 'living fossils', but one is going to be hard pressed to find fossils of the abyss anywhere, with it constantly falling back into the magma. Too bad the Trilobite didn't make it. It was a hugely successful creature for the longest time.

Finally  how do any of you non-evolutionists  care to explain the resurgence of life after these extinction events? How were there early fish, then dinosaurs, then mammals etc - were there many creation events over time?.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I do not find it strange to come to the understanding that the world and the dynamics of the universe operate exactly as if there were no god. No god required. Extraordinary claims of a god require extraordinary evidence. As far as I am concerned, the god hypothesis has failed.

Me thinks objective reality, as experienced, would be much different if there was a god.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well congratulations, because evolutionary biologists agree with you. It's not completely random. There are natural forces that (*gasp*, dare I even use the word for fear of what some will infer next) direct the process.

That's where I come down.

Even if all God did was write the laws of the universe (Gravity, Electromagnetism, Strong and Weak Forces, the constants, etc.) and set the whole thing rolling, then the idea of Creation through evolution stands. If at some later point he decided to breathe Life (capital L) into man as a soul in His image, then I see no conflict with Genesis (no conflict that matters, at any rate), nor does it change the fact that man rebelled all on his own.

As for stories such as Noah, I just don't know what to tell you.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Let us agree that at some point in the past, you were born and brought into this world.

At that point in time, when you took your first breath, you did not have a religious belief or faith in God, Scripture, or Jesus.  You were ignorant of religion, language, speech, humanity, society, or anything else.

But even then, as with you, I had a knowledge of God - innately given to all His creatures who are made in His image and still retain some of that image, though naturally hostile to it.

Some time between then, and now, you gained a belief in God.  This can be logically shown, as at point A you did not, and at point B (Now), you do possess such a belief.

Logically, then, there was a reason why you chose to believe, whether it was a conscious decision predicated entirely on logic, or an unconscious subtle decision reached through emotional influences.  One way or another, there was a discrete point in time when you lacked faith, followed concurrently by a point in time in which you gained faith.

Yes. It was given to me to savingly believe. It was a gift from God.

The difference between us, if I might be so bold as to wager a guess as to your past, is that you were given faith at a young age by the actions, influences, words, and beliefs of others around you.

That is both experientially, and more importantly, theologically false.

Speaking first to the lesser of the two, by experience I was raised in a more-or-less Christian environment, but did not savingly believe until fairly late in life, when God, by a sovereign, supernatural work of His Spirit, regenerated my heart.

Theologically, I was dead in sin, aware of the True God of the Universe but haitng HIm, until, as said earlier, He changed me.

Once you had that faith in God, the rest becomes irrelevant-on that, I think you would agree.  On the other hand, I never had such an indoctrination (to call it what it is).

There's some merit to the idea that religion - in the natural sense - is a product of one's environment.

Saving Faith in the Triune God of Scripture, however, is the result of a supernatural work of the Spirit of God.

At the point when I become aware of the question "Should I believe in God?", I already had a sufficient grounding in logic and reason to wield Occam's razor and ask the cutting questions of the religions I became exposed to, and therefore find the flaws and lies hidden within them.

That is incorrect.

You didn't have sufficnet grounding in reason, and more importantly, you didn't have the authority to make yourself 'man the measure of all things'.

Therefore, you exceeded your authority as a creature, and your intellectualy ability as a fallen creature, to 'choose' not to believe God.

When someone effectively starts out with the base condition "Premise Y is true", and proceeds to build the entirety of their worldview around it, after a time it becomes essentially impossible for them to step back and analyze the reason why Premise Y was incorporated into their person in the first place.

That, again, is absolutely false.

'Premise Y' was given to me as a gift, and thereby became my first presupposition.

Were there such a thing as an omniscient, omnipotent, all-loving God and Creator, and such an entity created humans, with all of our powers of reason and capability to think and learn, would it follow that He would want his creations to deny and reject His own gift to them, the power of thought, in favor of blind devotion and unquestioning faith?

Your question presupposes a misunderstanding of the nature of God (Theology, with a big 'T') and man (anthropology).

It is patently obvious - first and specially from Scripture, and to a lesser extent and generally, from nature, that man is fallen - in his intellect, his reasoning ability, and his moral ability to see and seek what is good. God has not told us to reject good reason - rather, He has told us that our reasoning is, by virtue of the Fall, fatally flawed. Graciously, He has given us Hiw Word by which we can correct ourselves.

Man's own reason, apart from God, can be thought of as 'Creatively constructive - with no external control, man uses his intellect to construct his own view of the world around him - in other words, man becomes the measure of all things.

God is gracious to show us our fallen error and invites us to be like Him, and to think 'receptively reconstructive' - where we think God's way and in doing so reconstruct a worldview that reflects His.

What sort of perverse deity would create a universe intended to appear billions of years old, and then tell its inhabitants that they must deny their own senses in favor of unwavering faith in something they'd never experienced in the first place?

God didn't do that. He created a Universe, told us what we needed to know of it, and warned us rpeatedly that if we rejected Him and turned to our own, fallen (by our own hand) natures, we would arrive at false conclusions about the reality of the world we live in. He didn't 'trick' us - He warned us!

I tell you, I insist, that the belief in such a God is itself an atrocity, and it would render an abomination of God in the eyes of any fair and just arbiter of the truth.

If your view of God was correct, I'd agree with you, however, your view is fatally flawed.

I come from a worldview where belief without reason is indicative of intellectual insanity.

Me too.

Were God to exist, and be omnipotent, it would be well within His grasp to create a universe where belief is rational and follows from the evidence, rather than the other way around.

You're describing a God, but you are NOT describing the Christian Theistic (Triune) God as revealed in Scripture.

You come from a worldview where faith comes first, foremost, and above all else...but you've never glanced into the core of your own faith to ask the terrible question why you have that faith in the first place, and where it ultimately comes from.

Again, that is patently false. I have most certainly asked that question, and in its answer I found an unmoveable Rock on which I can and will stand.

For you to understand and admit the answer would mean the destruction of your entire weltanschauung, and evolution makes us beings such that we attempt to protect ourselves from such demolishing awarenesses.

That's not only wrong, but in direct opposition to the truth - it is YOUR worldview that will ultimately result, if lived consistently, in nihilistic destruction.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I do not find it strange to come to the understanding that the world and the dynamics of the universe operate exactly as if there were no god. No god required. Extraordinary claims of a god require extraordinary evidence. As far as I am concerned, the god hypothesis has failed.

Me thinks objective reality, as experienced, would be much different if there was a god.

Unfortunately, lack of proof within the natural is not proof of the nonexistence of the supernatural.

Matter and energy don't just magically appear. Yes, one can convert to the other, but they don't "just happen".

Finally, How can you conclude that the universe operates "exactly as if there were no god" when you have nothing else to compare it to?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
There have been maybe two hard core obnoxious atheist types in this thread.  The rest - the whole idea that evolution and such is an attempt to "prove" God doesn't exist - is all in your imagination.

The while idea that there is a Christian world view incompatible with a scientific world view is one of the greatest lies of this generation - and it is a lie that is told on both "sides."

truth

I'm an atheist but I'll be the first to admit that if God exists, then evolution is his handwork.

I see a lot of posts by people who believe the author of the Bible is God and he cannot lie.  

God would also be the "author" of the universe.   Its his creation as much, if not moreso, than the Bible and it should be true as well.

The problem is our interpretation of the Bible and our discoveries of the natural world are in conflict.  That leaves a few possibilities

1) science is in error
2) the Bible is in error
3) we are misinterpreting the Bible

#1 is possible, but science is self correcting and the huge mounds of evidence for things like evolution and the age of the earth are extremely powerful evidence
#2 is also possible, but the dogma associated with the Bible makes this unpalatable for many
#3 seems easy enough to go with.

Your #1 demonstrates a false view of science's abilities. True science would start with the presupposition that the Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge. Humanistic science starts with man as the measure of all things, ignoring man's obviously fallen state, and while it can make some great attempts, is ultimately doomed to fail at some point.

#2 likewise starts with a bad presupposition - yes, the teachings of Scripture are unpalatable, but that's not the fault of Scripture, but, rather, the fault of man's sinful nature.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They say intelligent design...it is just like evolution but God is the one making the changes to better help lifeforms adapt.

But that's not a viable scientific theory.

Actually, yes, it is.

It's actually the only viable scientific theory, because, there's this 800 pound gorilla that it addresses that no humanistic science dares address:

The sine qua non of true Science is the underlying tenet that nothing comes from nothing.

Evolutionists totally ignore this fact, relegate it to the separate (?) discipline of 'abiogenesis', and, having utterly, totally failed to deal with it in any semi-serious way, move on to build a theory of evolution.

Sadly, that theory is by nature built on nothing - in other words, for all its intricacies which man's fallen mind takes as evidence of its validity, evolution is, ultimately, built on a foundation of thin air - without a foundational understanding of abiogenesis, evolution utterly, totally falls and FAILS to give any meaningful answer to any meaningful question.

Again, this is the classic 800-pound gorilla no humanitsic scientist will deal with.

Give me an intelligent discussion on abiogenesis (after having the nerve to address epistemology) and then, if you come away with any decent answer, you'll have the semblance of an authority on which to found your views of evolution.

Of course, if you do this, you'll see - though you'll hate it and deny it - that you have nothing from which to build.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not insulted...just amused.

Amused and frightened at the same time  - it's truly worrisome that people can speak outright lies about 'Christian jihad' and get away with it here.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wait....I didn't think an aerospace engineer could be so bold as to deny the god of evolution.....

Apparently I've been misinformed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is somehow less plausable than ancient people claiming "Poof!" people were magically created in their modern form out of thin air by a "god"?

Ancient people said so, must be true, right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Really?

Hmmmmm...... Let's see......

I'm a Christian, and I accept evolution as a well-supported scientific theory with no viable alternative yet presented.

Does that sound like I'm lying, distorting, bullying, or crying like a baby?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They say intelligent design...it is just like evolution but God is the one making the changes to better help lifeforms adapt.

Actually, yes, it is.

It's actually the only viable scientific theory, because, there's this 800 pound gorilla that it addresses that no humanistic science dares address:

The sine qua non of true Science is the underlying tenet that nothing comes from nothing.

Evolutionists totally ignore this fact, relegate it to the separate (?) discipline of 'abiogenesis', and, having utterly, totally failed to deal with it in any semi-serious way, move on to build a theory of evolution.

Sadly, that theory is by nature built on nothing - in other words, for all its intricacies which man's fallen mind takes as evidence of its validity, evolution is, ultimately, built on a foundation of thin air - without a foundational understanding of abiogenesis, evolution utterly, totally falls and FAILS to give any meaningful answer to any meaningful question.

Again, this is the classic 800-pound gorilla no humanitsic scientist will deal with.

Give me an intelligent discussion on abiogenesis (after having the nerve to address epistemology) and then, if you come away with any decent answer, you'll have the semblance of an authority on which to found your views of evolution.

Of course, if you do this, you'll see - though you'll hate it and deny it - that you have nothing from which to build.

No, see we don't have to assume that something came from nothing.  We just assume that something always was.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

Stop. Step away from the crack pipe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

mm - its not. You cannot measure God.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

ID is not a viable scientific theory as it is not falsifiable.

Abiogenesis has - zero - to do with evolution, no matter how much creationists try to insist otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As for stories such as Noah, I just don't know what to tell you.

Lots of cultures refer to an anciet flood of epic proportion.  Something probably happened a long time ago that was quite serious with regards to lots of water.  As to Noah's involvement with saving all the animals...I also don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#45]
For those out there who claim to be some sort of Christian (maybe you are.....I don't know....if you are, I'm not trying to confront you as an unbeliever, but challenge you as a believer to take Scripture seriously, as did our Lord, as I will demonstrate...), yet insist on being able to interpret Scripture however they see fit so that it fits with what men have told them:

(disclaimer: in the interst of brevity I'm leaving out TONS of references similar to the ones I'll quote here. Suffice to say, the following is conclusive but not exhaustive)

Quotes from NASB:

Joh 5:46  "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.
Joh 5:47  "But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"

Nobody is saying that Moses wrote a science book (though in a sense, he did....I'll revisit that towards the end of this post). But Jesus confronted people with their unbelief in the writings of Moses. It's illogical to say Jesus demanded that people belive prophetic passages of Moses (which were in many ways less than perfectly clear - the idea of progressive revelation) yet at the same time, would condone thier disbelief of what Moses did say clearly. Yes, the Genesis account is highly compressed, speaks in generalities, and so on - but if those generalities aren't essentially true, then Jesus would have been wrong to insist on their belief!

Joh 7:38  "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'"

When He refers to Scripture 'speaking' He's presupposing that Scripture has the authority to speak. This isn't my interpretation - it is the clear teaching of the One you claim to follow (yet practically deny by ignoring His own teachings).

Joh 7:42  "Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the descendants of David, and from Bethlehem, the village where David was?"

Again, Jesus recognizes that when Scripture speaks, it is with authority - so that (as we'll see more later) what Scripture says can be equivocated iwth God Himself speaking.

Rom 4:3  For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

In Paul's magnum opus on justification by faith (not works), aka Romans, He ascribes to Scripture the authority to speak as though God was speaking.

Rom 9:17  For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH."

The Scripture says to Pharoah that 'I' raised him up........in Paul's mind, Scripture carried the very authority of the words of God Himself.

Don't accuse me of making scripture a god! Paul himself (as did Christ) ascribes to Scripure the same authority that God had - in other words, we don't worship Scripture, but we do recognize that it is the authoratative word of God Himself. What Scripture says, God has said!

Gal 3:8  The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."

And yet again, Paul attributes to Scripture (and note that quite often, its the early parts of Genesis) the same authority as God - again, not that we worship a leather-and-paper book, but in Paul's mind, reading Scripture was the same as hearing the very word of God!

Gal 3:22  But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

And we continue with Paul recognizing that Scripture has authority as the Word of God Himself.

2Ti 3:16  All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

This passage stands on its own - no need to even comment.

2Pe 1:20  But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,
2Pe 1:21  for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Another passage that needs little explanation - all Scripture was written by men, but was the very Word of God, which He has providentially preserved through the years.

And here's irony in its highest form:

While so many would deny Scripture, especially the early part of Genesis, which was clearly written as a history, it is in that very passage that we see a perfect picture of the folly of humanistic science:

Gen 2:19  Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name.
Gen 2:20 The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

We see Adam, in his pre-fallen state, performing good science - under the Lordship of his God, He delved into Taxonomy, naming the animals as they were brought to Him. As he performed this science - true science, as it was under God's direction, not man's - Adam made an importtant discovery about Himself:

for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

For man, this was a monumental discovery, and in light of it, God was pleased once again to bless man by moving on his behalf:
Gen 2:22  The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.

At this point, as a result of Adam's scientific observations and the resultant discovery, Adam achieved a higher and more blessed state - the advancement of mankind, if you will - which is a supposed goal of science:

Gen 2:25  And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Man, completed by the woman, in a perfect union with her, and in perfect union with God. This was the pinnacle of human existence - and the result of science guided providentially by God Himself. Later, in this same narrative that humanists so quickly deny, we find out what this denial has brought:

Gen 3:1  Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?"
Gen 3:2  The woman said to the serpent, "From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;
Gen 3:3  but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.'"
Gen 3:4  The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!

The serpent tempted Eve to think 'creatively constructively', setting the creature above the Creator, making 'man the measure of all things', and encouraged her to test her scientific abilities - though God had clearly warned of the consequences. In other words....satan suggested humanistic, naturalistic science as an alternative to Theistic, True science. He then questions God's Word concerning the warning of death.

(As a side note, take care to notice that up until this time in Genesis, God has been referred to as the LORD God.....not mere deity, but properly recognized as LORD. Satan ignores this Lordship and refers merely to 'God' - not the Triune God of Scripture, but an offhand reference to a mere impersonal deity. This is the precise error made by those who would defend a mere 'God' that is not the God revealed to us in Scripture.....)

Gen 3:6  When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise,

Already thinking as a rebel, Eve made observations of a humanistic/scientific nature - the fruit was good for food for man, it was aesthetically pleasing to man, it held the promise of human wisdom......man-centered observations, all of them....yet arguable true.

she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

And so she began to live out a life consistent with her humanistic science.....

Gen 3:7  Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.

And the result of living consistently with her man-centered worldview was the utter ruin of the human race.
Gen 3:17  Then to Adam He said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat from it'; Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life.
Gen 3:18  "Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you; And you will eat the plants of the field;
Gen 3:19  By the sweat of your face You will eat bread, Till you return to the ground, Because from it you were taken; For you are dust, And to dust you shall return."

It was this very ruin that Christ came to reconcile. To say that you believe in Him, yet deny what He taught, is to head towards this same ruin........professing to be a Christian, yet living consistently with a secular worldview, will bring the same ruin.

Obviously, none of us - saved or lost - live in perfect consistency with our worldview. If we did so, Christians would be perfect, and non-Christians would be perfectly nihilistic - God providentially takes His time in perfecting the Christian, and graciously restrains the unbeliever from his nihilism.

When Paul lays out the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ in 1 Corinthians 15, he doesn't merely state a series of facts cocnerning the life of Christ - rather, he goes on to root those facts in a real historical context (those who deny the OT's veracity work against this, beleiving in a Gospel that has no root in reality...)

Paul says in that passage:

1Co 15:3  For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4  and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

This is the Gospel - but Paul doesn't present it in a vacuum....he goes on to explain its historical context, and in doing so, he recognizes what has already been established - the validity of all Scripture:

1Co 15:22  For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

Elsewhere, in Romans, Paul did the same thing - he didn't present a Gospel man could believe with no historical context; He presented it in its true, proper context:

Rom 5:10  For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Rom 5:11  And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.
Rom 5:12  Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned––
Rom 5:13  for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14  Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

Paul doesn't present a vacuous Gospel - he roots it right in the Genesis account of the Fall of Adam, a real man who committed real sin that deserved a real wrath and had earned man a real 'reward':

Rom 6:22  But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
Rom 6:23  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  

The upshot is this:

God is clear that His Word is historical, accurate, and, as the writers of the NT believed, it is the grounds for our faith, it is accurate, and we can NOT seek to explain it waay as an allegorical story. The wrietrs of the NT - including Jesus Himself - taught from Genesis as if it were literal. The spoke of the flood, they spoke of the fall, they never flinched in teaching as if it was real, true history. In doing so, they give us the only consistent framework from within which we can view Genesis.

The very account so many would deny - Genesis 1-11 - was taught as true by the Moses, by the prophets, by Christ, by the apostles....if we claim to follow them, we must align our beliefs with them. We must submit our minds to them in the same way we submit our morals to them. We must not claim Jesus as Lord for morality but not for Science. Scripture can be trusted, and moreso, must be trusted:

Follow Peter's thought here:

2Pe 1:3  seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
2Pe 1:4  For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
2Pe 1:5  Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
2Pe 1:6  and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
2Pe 1:7  and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2Pe 1:8  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9  For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
2Pe 1:10  Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
2Pe 1:11  for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you
2Pe 1:12  Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.
2Pe 1:13  I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder,
2Pe 1:14  knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.
2Pe 1:15  And I will also be diligent that at any time after my departure you will be able to call these things to mind.
2Pe 1:16  For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2Pe 1:17  For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, "This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased"––
2Pe 1:18  and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
2Pe 1:19 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.
2Pe 1:20  But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,
2Pe 1:21  for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God

Follow Peter's thought - God has supplied us with all we need, by His Spirit, to grow in our faith, and, yes, our knowledge - and then he warns us to be sure that we posess these things - not because we claim Jesus as Lord, but because we have examined our lives (including our supposed knowledge...). He goes on to anchor this in our possession of a Word from God, knowing that it was not a mere collection of the whims of men, but the writings of men who were moved by God Hismelf to write what the wrote.

He continues again to provide examples and warnings not from fables, but from history:

2Pe 2:4  For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
2Pe 2:5  and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;
2Pe 2:6  and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter;
2Pe 2:7  and if He rescued righteous Lot, oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men

And he does so right from Genesis, the very passages men would deny while claiming to follow Christ.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

No, see we don't have to assume that something came from nothing.  We just assume that something always was.

What ground do you have for this assumption?

Hint: you don't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

We don't have to. Science performed under His Lordship presupposes what He has revealed about Himself.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ID is not a viable scientific theory as it is not falsifiable.

You're not talking about true science - you're talking about humanistic science. Apples and oranges.

Abiogenesis has - zero - to do with evolution, no matter how much creationists try to insist otherwise.  

If you insist on believing that, you are wrong, and no further discussion will be of any value until you recognize this.

Evolution that doesn't address abiogenesis is a house built on thin air. Period.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, lack of proof within the natural is not proof of the nonexistence of the supernatural.

Matter and energy don't just magically appear. Yes, one can convert to the other, but they don't "just happen".

Finally, How can you conclude that the universe operates "exactly as if there were no god" when you have nothing else to compare it to?

Metaphysical claims cannot be disproven, as they are logically unfalsifiable.

No one can prove that a flying golden teapot circling our galaxy does not govern the universe. And although our universe operates just like there was not a omnipotent flying orbital teapot, one would be hard pressed to imagine how the universe would behave if there was one. Of course we don't have a true comparison, but that is not needed to understand that it would be entirely different (who knows how?) than what we currently observe.

Fortunately the burden of proof would falls squarely on those who propose a flying teapot (or god) hypothesis, not on those denying the claim. I'm not stating a god does not exist. What I am saying is that apparently no god is required and that the god hypothesis is an unwarranted abstract contingency that raises more questions than it attempts to answer.

Personally, I find inserting "a god in the gaps" rather tempting, particularly when as a child. But it is for ignorant and superstitious minds.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it is.

We don't have to. Science performed under His Lordship presupposes what He has revealed about Himself.

Then I presuppose he doesn't exist.  Whatcha gonna do now?
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top