Site Notices
9/2/2014 6:40:42 PM
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:11:33 PM
Can you heat treat Aluminum to harden it with mepp gas and oil (or water) like steel?
zeekh
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:15:17 PM
I don't believe so. Why do you want to harden it? There are plating methods that can increase wear resistance. And of course different alloys that are more durable
California_Kid
Team Member, Redneck, Hippie
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:15:49 PM
Short answer - No.

Aluminum does not behave like ferrous metals.

Heat treatment of aluminum is a complex subject.

See this for an overview.
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:16:05 PM
No. Its not the same.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
Thomas Jefferson
JCKnife
Tracer bullet shows where the zing sizzles!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:16:15 PM
I'm pretty sure aluminum will just melt, not harden.
Looking for Winchester Model 42 Ser. No. 102662
I sold it 23 years ago ouside Hara Arena, Dayton, OH
Nightdriver
I make stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:17:42 PM
Nope, it doesn't react like steel, it takes a different process.

http://www.keytometals.com/Article7.htm

And that only works with the right alloys.
Made from the finest, heat treated, coat hanger wire there is.
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:20:39 PM
You can anodize aluminum, which is similar to case hardening it.
Making gears in alice texas.
If a crusty old machinist asks you what the thread count on a micrometer is, its 40, no idea why they ask, but thats the answer.
flashbag
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:20:55 PM
Thanks for the info and the links
zeekh
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:23:54 PM
Anodize & Hard coat anodize will make it harder similar to case hardening. There are also Teflon-like coating that will help with wear.
wunbadweel
A burning ambivalence...or maybe not
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:33:46 PM
You don't want to introduce carbon to Al, especially via any attempts with oil or other petroleum distillates.
"....use enough dynamite there, Butch?"
CarbineDad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:46:28 PM
What they said, and in before Keith_J
al_bundy
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:47:48 PM

Originally Posted By CarbineDad:
What they said, and in before Keith_J

JBowles
Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:52:42 PM
Anodizing is at best still just a passivization process, it will not produce results anything like case hardening steel.

Parkerising or Bluing steel is more what Anodizing is.

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you\'ll find me in a pile of brass- Tpr. M. Padgett
azsavage
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:55:41 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:00:15 PM by azsavage]
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum? I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds. I wonder how a veneer of thousands of layers of aluminum (microns thick) and aluminum oxide would do for bullet resistance. The oxide is harder than ceramic (like used in ballistic plates) but the amuminum would provide strength.
Dave_A
SPC/USAR... Soon to be WA ARNG
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:57:42 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:03:24 PM by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By flashbag:
Can you heat treat Aluminum to harden it with mepp gas and oil (or water) like steel?

AL can be heat treated...

The various tempers (T-numbers) are heat-treated AL (T stands for Thermal)....

For example, '0' metal is untreated (you can bend/shape it with your bare hands), T-6 is very hard (and brittle - pain in the ass to bend)...

At my old unit in Korea, we had an oven for heat-treating AL aircraft parts...

THAT SAID...

AL is not *easily* heat-treated with 'home' materials....

The whole 'gas torch and dunk in oil' thing is more likely than not to fail... AL is also flammable, esp in dust form....

It's not steel... Nowhere near as 'easy'.....
"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of man will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint."

- Alexander Hamilton

Tinfoil Trolls Down: ***
TimeTraveler
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:59:58 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:01:40 PM by TimeTraveler]
Yes. Aluminum can be aged hardened at a given temperature in an "Auto Clave"(Vaccume). It's not anything like hardening steel but it can be hardened for strength. Many aircraft parts go through this proccess. I believe it is only for thinner parts. TT

Hah. Dave_A beat me to it.
Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:01:42 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:02:53 PM by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By TimeTraveler:
Yes. Aluminum can be aged hardened at a given temperature in an "Auto Clave"(Vaccume). It's not anything like hardening steel but it can be hardened for strength. Many aircraft parts go through this proccess. I believe it is only for thinner parts. TT

It's for thin, complex-shaped parts that cannot be made from the 'right' temper of aluminum alloy without cracking issues...

So, to prevent cracking, you make the part from 'O metal' (Annealed AL) and you then harden it to the right temper...
"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of man will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint."

- Alexander Hamilton

safe1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:01:48 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:02:02 PM by safe1]
Originally Posted By azsavage:
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum? I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds,.

We would spec it at .002 +/- .0005. We used it in three piece dies that formed graphite seals and graphite is pretty abrasive. Hardcoat held up very well.
Fireguy3
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:04:07 PM
The short version is something like Aerospace aluminum can be hardened. But for most aluminums available to the average joe , you will do nothing but make it porous or brittle.

BTW, whats up with all these guys screwing with exotic metals latelty on here?
U.S. Government Officials- If they were a private group they would be being tried under Criminal Conspiracy and Corrupt Organizations statutes!!!!
Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:06:38 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:07:14 PM by Dave_A]
For those interested, here's a chart on the different ways of tempering AL:

Most of the aircraft parts I worked with used 'T3'... Some T6, but you hated that stuff if you had to bend it (it cracks very easily when bent).....

- Alexander Hamilton

Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:09:55 PM

Originally Posted By Fireguy3:
The short version is something like Aerospace aluminum can be hardened. But for most aluminums available to the average joe , you will do nothing but make it porous or brittle.

BTW, whats up with all these guys screwing with exotic metals latelty on here?

Don't know, maybe some are dabbling with their own, personal version of 'Wil-E-Coyote's Acme Gun Works'... Maybe we have a few into experimental aviation...

Me? I was an airframe mechanic for Uncle Sam... Aluminum... Yeah, we had some of that...

- Alexander Hamilton

Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:11:23 PM

Originally Posted By JCKnife:
I'm pretty sure aluminum will just melt, not harden.

Try 'oxidize'...

With the right amount of heat, it will oxidize rather violently...

- Alexander Hamilton

TimeTraveler
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:11:47 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:12:40 PM by TimeTraveler]
Originally Posted By safe1:
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum? I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds,.

We would spec it at .002 +/- .0005. We used it in three piece dies that formed graphite seals and graphite is pretty abrasive. Hardcoat held up very well.

Hardcoat on AL. is the heaviest of the AL. Anodizing. Most anodizing on AL. is only a few tenths of a thousants. The Hardcoat is more. TT

Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:14:54 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2009 7:15:29 PM by Dave_A]

How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum? I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds. I wonder how a veneer of thousands of layers of aluminum (microns thick) and aluminum oxide would do for bullet resistance. The oxide is harder than ceramic (like used in ballistic plates) but the amuminum would provide strength.

AlOx -> Hard, but brittle as hell...

All 'pure' aluminum develops a layer of it naturally, which prevents further oxidation/corrosion. This is why aircraft aluminum alloys are usually 'Alclad' (plated with 'pure' non-alloyed aluminum, for corrosion resistance)...

Anodizing is more a plating process than a 'case hardening' process... So that's not going to really help much...

Basicly, unless you have the right (ridiculously expensive & power hungry) equipment, you need to acquire your AL in the right alloy & temper, and then make it into what you need it to be from there...

- Alexander Hamilton

BT500
Pro Libertate!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:19:04 PM

Originally Posted By JBowles:
Anodizing is at best still just a passivization process, it will not produce results anything like case hardening steel.

Not hard anodizing.

Bluing simply alters the surface to help protect from rust.

The surface layer created by hard anodizing is harder than steel, and very durable.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." -Ronald Reagan

FUCK OBAMA!
JBowles
Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:29:16 PM

Originally Posted By BT500:

The surface layer created by hard anodizing is harder than steel, and very durable.

Sure, but it's no Case hardening.
You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you\'ll find me in a pile of brass- Tpr. M. Padgett
TimeTraveler
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:35:55 PM
Anodize is primarily for sealing the surface of AL. to delay or prevent oxidation. TT
Dave_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:39:52 PM

Originally Posted By BT500:

Originally Posted By JBowles:

Not hard anodizing.

Bluing simply alters the surface to help protect from rust.

However, it does not actually add metallurgical strength to the metal...

Any more than the black-oxide plating on a knife blade 'strengthens' the steel...

- Alexander Hamilton

AeroE
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:47:25 PM
Originally Posted By flashbag:

No.

It's true, Obama is the Leader of Fools deluded to believe, "Everything is going to change now".
As for me, I will embrace what is Right more tightly than ever.

1 lbf = 32.174 lbm-ft/sec^2