Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2009 2:53:14 PM EDT
OK My first thread got deleted for some reason,  so I'll try again.

is there a way to legally rent a rental car if you don't have a drivers license physically on your person?  I am in Kansas City on business and need to get to Mt Sterling IL which is about three hours away to help my Dad pack up my grandma's house.  She passed away about two or three weeks ago and he drove out here from Idaho to pack up her house before it's sold.

On the way out here I somehow lost my @#$@#$@#@ drivers license.  I got on the plane with it but I can't find it anywhere.  Avis does not hold my license on file despite the fact I've rented with them before,  and apparently there is NO provision to check a license online or something in case of this contingency.  So I'm screwed.  they said my wife could get a temp and fedex it to me but again, no go.   I have a perfect driving record but that matters not without a physical license with me.

they said I could come to the DMV in UTAH and get a temp but that does me no good. I have to get to Mt Sterling and back by tomorrow at 3 pm.

any ideas?

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be more worried about how the hell I was going to fly home without ID.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

np.  I have my concealed weapons permit with photo on it. I have used it before as ID with TSA as a test and while they didn't like it, it was acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Can a local cop shop get a copy on their whizz bang computer and give you a copy?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

np.  I have my concealed weapons permit with photo on it. I have used it before as ID with TSA as a test and while they didn't like it, it was acceptable.

Yep,

I almost had to use my concealed weapon permit at the airport and called to verify, however I remembered leaving my D.L. with the golf bar attendant(collateral) for a junk cooler that I threw in the trash. Had to drive back and get it.....they didn't even charge me for the cooler––––
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should accept that no questions asked.  I had an expired DL when I flew home from PA, so I had to also give them a copy of my FCC licsense.

I rented from a kiosk once without a DL, cant remember if it was Hertz, or Alamo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can actually fly without ID.  You simply get to endure a more thorough screening.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What was it gonna cost to rent a car?  Take that money and buy something with cash off Craigslist.  It might not be great, but it'll probably get you there.  No license required.  Just don't do anything stupid and get pulled over.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What was it gonna cost to rent a car?  Take that money and buy something with cash off Craigslist.  It might not be great, but it'll probably get you there.  No license required.  Just don't do anything stupid and get pulled over.

this idea has merit.

38 bucks a day is rental.   I wonder if I can get a car, that will drive 6 hours on the freeway,  for 100 bucks?

off to check
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If all else fails...............

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Might be the one time I would recommend hitchhiking
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

not a bad idea.  while I'm extremely clean cut and professional looking  I'm also 6'5" and 330 lbs and people tell me I look sorta mean.  I might have a hard time getting picked up.  

will consider this though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not a bad idea.  while I'm extremely clean cut and professional looking  I'm also 6'5" and 330 lbs and people tell me I look sorta mean.  I might have a hard time getting picked up.  

Don't matter.

All they care about is if yous got soft lips.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't matter.

All they care about is if yous got soft lips.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
At larger airports, they have kiosk where you can make a reservation online and then check in at the kiosk.  Play your cards right and you might be able to get away without showing them an ID.

Or go to the police substation at the airport and see if they will print off something showing you have a valid driver's license.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]
buy a cheapo car with your credit card, drive to where you need to be, sell the car afterwards for roughly the amount you paid for it.

$100 loss on a $1000 car you can chalk up as 'educational fee'
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Taxi or limo service is about your only alternative at this point, other than taking a bus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Taxi or limo service is about your only alternative at this point, other than taking a bus.

LoL.  KC-Chicago in a taxi?  at 2.25 a mile, and it's what....850 miles or so to Chicago.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not an issue... they will verify you and make you go through a detailed TSA screening. I've been through it once due to a lost wallet.

Edit: Have you tried calling a rental car agency and asking them if they can work with you? It may involve some legwork on your part with the DMV, but the direct approach could work out for you
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Uship yourself.

uship.com

Maybe you can find someone traveling that route delivering something?

Or, maybe hit up some of the board truckers.  Maybe they know someone making a run that way that can help you out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the idea of buying a cheap car on Craigslist, then selling it when you get home.

Only problem is, you'll have to get it tagged/registered in your name first before you can sell it. In Ohio, that's all of $50 + sales tax on an el-cheapo car. Not sure about where you're at.

I'll bet when all is said and done, you'll be out ~$200 for gas, DMV shit, and misc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
AAA will drive you 200-300 miles for the plus membership of like $89 per year.

Just sign up online for the Plus, then call them for a ride home, your car broke down and your stranded.

I've done it.

Make sure to ask how long after you pay online or phone does your account go active.

You should be able to print off a membership card online, then a car will pick you up and drop you off for free.

ETA:  You need the Premier membership for the 200 mile free tow.  Forgot you don't have a car, just buy one at a junk yard for 10 bucks and have them tow it to where you are going.  You could say you totaled the car and they may just drive you or arrange for free travel

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#22]
trolling craigslist now for cheap car or bike.  there's a 400 for 375 that I would maybe just risk riding without registering.  Just get it there and leave it.

will try to find something cheaper.

are there helmet laws in MO?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

trolling craigslist now for cheap car or bike.  there's a 400 for 375 that I would maybe just risk riding without registering.  Just get it there and leave it.

will try to find something cheaper.

are there helmet laws in MO?

Yep, you have to have a helmet in MO.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You have no idea why your first thread got deleted?

Might it have had something to do with the title?

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok the title may have had something to do with it.  I still don't know exactly why it got trashed.  I was working on a noble cause here.  Not trying to break the law (too much),  just trying to solve a problem.

1000's of illegals get fake ID's in this country to defraud the government,  break the law. I was not breaking the law to defraud anyone, I'm a licensed driver.  I just have the misfortune or not having my license on me right this very second due to losing my license on the plane

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok the title may have had something to do with it.  I still don't know exactly why it got trashed.  I was working on a noble cause here.  Not trying to break the law (too much),  just trying to solve a problem.

1000's of illegals get fake ID's in this country to defraud the government,  break the law. I was not breaking the law to defraud anyone, I'm a licensed driver.  I just have the misfortune or not having my license on me right this very second due to losing my license on the plane

hey, you don't need to explain nor justify yourself to me. I was just pointing out something comical.

your situation sucks and i hope you find a solution.  Although i think the cash for clunkers may put the dampener on your ability to find a cheap used car.

At any rate, I hope you figure things out.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Only known way to do this is already be a member of Hertz Gold Club or Alamo Emerald Club.

Otherwise, they will require seeing the license, as it is the law!

PS - several years in the rental car industry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
-Try to find an ARFCOMMER that will loan you a car or give you a ride.

-Get your ass to a truck stop somehow.   Once you are there if you ask nicely you will eventually find a trucker heading to your destination.  Had to do this once myself many years ago

-If you have any friends or family at all with any ties to the auto industry or car dealerships / whatever, see if they can scrounge up a local dealer to give you a loner for the weekend.  This would be a bit hard, but could be done.  I've known guys that could walk into a dealership and take a car for several days no questions asked but they had pre-existing relationships.

-Find transient person with a valid DL.  Give them $40 to rent a car in their name.  Might have some problems with credit cards and shit but if you think quick on your feet it could be done.  Probably illegal and def against the rules.

-If you have any DECENT plastic in your wallet (Amex gold, etc), call the CC company, ask for special services and tell them your situation.  Long shot but you never know.  

Now these next two are serious long shots I wouldn't try them unless you are ready for some expert level shit.  And I am joking but just have to throw them out.  You need to think outside the box man.

-Go to the bar find a lonely, older divorced woman.  Tell her that you love to talk about feelings and kitty cats and shit and that if she gives a a ride you will sit quietly and listen to everything she says with a heavy heart for the entire car ride.  Believe me this will work she has been waiting for a captive subject.  EDIT:  Actually skip the bar.  Try a bookstore, starbucks, panera, some shit like that.

-Go to the airport bathroom.  Use a wide stance.  Trade gay sex encounters for a ride.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I noticed you reside in Utah.  

Are you a Mormon, or are you very close friends with any Mormons?  If so, I would just call them.  They will have someone with a van out to the airport shortly.  I'm pretty serious on this one.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Go to the MO and ILL hometown forums and see if anyone is crossing the state the direction you're headed. MIght be able to find rides here. Could be I might get involved in part of a convoy if you can set it up.

This might be more complicated than it's worth though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Walk down to the local pizza delivery joint and wait for a driver to go inside with his car running. Borrow said car for a short one way drive home. On your way to the highway find a similar car and switch the plates...Just Kidding
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

True.  But the coordination threads, field report threads, parody threads, tracking threads, and general asshattery has the potential to go fully epic and become arfcom legend.  I support this idea.  Sadly I am not in the region so I can't put my money where my mouth is and offer to join the convoy.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#34]
TAG for outcome.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True. But the coordination threads, field report threads, parody threads, tracking threads, and general asshattery has the potential to go fully epic and become arfcom legend.  I support this idea.  Sadly I am not in the region so I can't put my money where my mouth is and offer to join the convoy.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]
You don't happen to have an Amex Black in your wallet?  I'm pretty sure they could make something happen to take care of this.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Well hopefully something happened because it's been like 12 hours.

Link Posted: 8/13/2009 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Update??

Link Posted: 8/13/2009 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#40]
He fent.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He fent.

bump for the afterfath
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I like the idea of buying a cheap car on Craigslist, then selling it when you get home.

Only problem is, you'll have to get it tagged/registered in your name first before you can sell it. In Ohio, that's all of $50 + sales tax on an el-cheapo car. Not sure about where you're at.

I'll bet when all is said and done, you'll be out ~$200 for gas, DMV shit, and misc.

Didn't the guys on Top Gear do this?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#43]
he got killed by a beaver....
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#44]
boo for no update

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Why in the hell did someone suggest hitch hiking at the truck stop!!!  Now he fent and he'll never return

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#46]
When I traveled a lot, I was a member of Avis' elite-platinum-diamond-VIP-super-duper-whizbang club, and they had my DL on file. I would just go to the designated spot the was next to my name on the screen, and drove off with the car. I did, however, have to show ID when leaving the lot. More than once I used my passport for ID instead of DL, since my DL was in a bag somewhere, and my passport was in my jacket.

Also, it's going to take you at least 4 hours to get from Kansas City to anywhere in Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You can sell a car without getting it tagged, so long as you have a signed title...

Just have the seller sign the title, don't fill in your info, and give the title to the buyer when you sell...

Poof, the guy who bought it from you is the new buyer - you never owned the car...

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#48]
OK so I thought I should update this thread.

After several good,  and a couple of strange suggestions,  I decided the only realistic route was to try and buy a local car and make the run that way.  I briefly considered stealing a car but decided seeing my grandma's house one last time and helping load a truck was worth my job, thousands in legal fees and other hassles of grand theft.

so I started calling down the list on craigslist. There were very few cars  or motorcycles that would have qualified,  and I had a very limited amount of cash on me.

after a couple of hours of haggling and trying to get someone to

1) sell me a car at half their listed price and then
b) drive it out to me at my hotel where I would buy the car and then drive it home I finally gave up.

I called a bus station but the number of transfers was unholyhellit'lltakeaweek to get to Mt.Sterling so I gave up on that.

I briefly considered trying to hitchhike but had no real way to get to a freeway plus there was no reliable way to get back to the airport on time the next morning.

So I did something I rarely do and just said "F it" and gave up.  

the thing that pisses me off is that my stupidity in losing my license meant I missed a great chance to spend time with my dad as he closed out his mother's life and a chance to see my grandma/grandpa's home one more time before it was sold.

I will go back to that customer and this time I am prepared:  I came back and got a replacement license and TWO goverment ID cards.  I will use the Govt ID cards and CCW IDs when I travel from now on and leave the drivers license in the bag instead of my pocket.

I also went back to the DL office this morning and got ANOTHER DL to replace the one I just "lost".  So I'll have two DLs and two govt IDs.  I should not have this problem again.  So I'll drive out and see the house even though it'll have been sold.  I'm really sad I didn't get to go help dad while he was there though. That kind of sucked.

thanks for all the good suggestions,  (Except for the one where I would offer gay sex to a trucker to get passage.  )  I recommend that when traveling you do NOT lose your drivers license, cause your life will suck.

I am also going to scan my DL and all other wallet cards and put them in an encrypted file and email it to myself at Gmail. I suspect the rental car company would have rented me a car with a picture of the license.  I don't know for sure but next time I travel I'm going to claim I lost it and try with a scanned copy to see if they will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top