Author
Posted: 8/11/2009 5:49:18 PM
[Last Edit: 9/2/2009 2:51:38 PM by EGI_Tactical]
We use Authorize.Net as our gateway processor. On August the 3rd, we received an email stating that our account was going to be terminated on August the 28th for violation of the Authorize.Net terms of service. Specifically, it would be terminated for selling firearms. The only problem: we don't sell firearms online.

In the email there was a "respond to" address that we could write to if we felt that we had received this notice in error, so... we sent them an email, fully expecting to never hear a thing. We waited. Then we sent them another email. Then waited.

The we used their online Live Help system, in an attempt to expedite the situation, only to be told that it was our merchant provider and that Authorize.Net did not terminate accounts. The only problem: That was completely wrong. Our merchant provider is extremely pro-gun and gun friendly so if we WERE selling firearms through Authorize.Net, our MP would have absolutely zero problem with it.

So then we called.

After giving the details, the nice lady on the other end puts us on hold, then goes off to ask someone else what to do. She comes back and says, "We don't handle that sort of thing and we are unable to help you with it. We also don't have a phone number for anyone that you can talk to. You will have to use the email address."

Me (a little stunned): "Uh... as I just explained, we tried that. Nobody will respond."
Her: "Sorry but we can't help you with that."
Me: "Amazing... simply amazing."
Her: "Sir?"
Me: "Well, you do work for Authorize.Net, right?"
Her (getting annoyed): "Yes sir."
Me: "And my business is most likely going to be disrupted by Authorize.Net - the company that you work for - due to violating your Terms of Service, which isn't actually being violated. I can't get anyone to respond to my emails and now you're telling me that you can't even give me a phone number, so that I can talk to someone who CAN help!?!"
Her: "Yes sir. That's correct."
Me: "So what do I do when nobody responds to the emails and I get shut off?"
H
Her: "[long pause] ... Then, uh... you call us. But I'm sure they will be responding shortly."
Me: "How can you know 'they' will be responding if you don't even know who 'they' are?"
Her: "[very long pause] ... Yes sir, like I said, we're unable to help you with that. You'll have to send another email. Good luck and have a nice day. *click*"

So we are being completely stonewalled because some idiot probably looked at our domain (LONG after we initially went on-line with Authorize.Net) and decided that the word "guns" was in it and we must therefore sell the icky things on-line. Again, the only problem being that they got it completely wrong.

So please be aware that we are trying to resolve this problem but it doesn't look good. There is a likelihood that on or around Aug 28th, we will experience a temporary disruption in our service. Hopefully, we can find a more customer friendly gateway provider between now and then. Suggestions for other gateway providers are welcome.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson
EGI Tactical - http://www.expertguns.com
BODY ARMOR & TACTICAL SUPPLY
mhoffman
I don't trust a single one of you fuckers
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 5:52:29 PM
Note to self –– if ever back in retail or online sales business, do not use Authorize.net.

Thanks for the PSA!

_MaH
"The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people. This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments and affections of the people was the real American Revolution." - John Adams
wmounts
Starting to get REALLY fed up...
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 7:02:58 PM
Wow... clueless idiots are taking over the world.

Sorry to hear your troubles, OP. I hope you can get things resolved quickly.
Self defense is THE most fundamental human right.

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.” Jonathan Swift
JBlitzen
Hurricane Math
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 7:05:56 PM
A lawyer might be able to elicit a response with a certified letter pointing out their illegal violation of your service contract.
"...because it's not his decision who lives and dies in this country. But he wants it to be."

-R. Limbaugh
Dave_A
SPC/USAR... Soon to be WA ARNG
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 7:08:55 PM

Originally Posted By JBlitzen:
A lawyer might be able to elicit a response with a certified letter pointing out their illegal violation of your service contract.

Which might get him, at most, a refund for the current period's fee, if he's not on a per-transaction-only billing basis...

Time to find a new CC processor...
"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of man will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint."

- Alexander Hamilton

Tinfoil Trolls Down: ***
gmill
Run Brun Fid
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2009 12:21:14 PM
Has this issue been cleared up with your company and authorize?

What company did you change to?
It could happen. After all, in the documentary Red Dawn it was a small group of High School kids that fought commies.
EGI_Tactical
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:53:50 PM
After we thought this situation had been resolved, Authorize.net has now turned off our gateway processing.

We are trying to rapidly find and implement an alternative payment gateway for internet sales. Meanwhile, we would be happy to assist or accept orders via telephone: (318).946.8079

Apologies if this causes anyone an inconvenience. We know some orders have already been unable to complete.

Not... happy.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson
EGI Tactical - http://www.expertguns.com
BODY ARMOR & TACTICAL SUPPLY
EightySecond
Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:57:42 PM
6/10

She was begging for a few F-Bombs.
It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.
- Robert E. Lee -
Garand_Shooter
Worrisome Veteran
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:57:45 PM
Originally Posted By EGI_Tactical:
After we thought this situation had been resolved, Authorize.net has now turned off our gateway processing.

We are trying to rapidly find and implement an alternative payment gateway for internet sales. Meanwhile, we would be happy to assist or accept orders via telephone: (318).946.8079

Apologies if this causes anyone an inconvenience. We know some orders have already been unable to complete.

Not... happy.

I will tell you my hard learned lesson- set your website up so that you collect the info, and then run the cards through your in store terminal.

A little more of a PITA? Yes, but it opens you up to a whole new option of processors, and gives you more control. It also means that if something like this happens, you can still take orders online, and just process and ship them in a few days when it all gets fixed.

I can suggest a great company for an in store terminal if you need one.
The Old Grouch's Military surplus
www.oldgrouch.com
Looking some surplus item you can't find? Ask in my forum!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=335
Bubbles
Luv C3!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:57:48 PM
[Last Edit: 9/2/2009 3:00:25 PM by Bubbles]
First National Merchant Solutions FTFW. Very gun-friendly; they handle Brownell's and the NRA.

ETA: I PM'ed you the contact info for the guy there I worked with. Nice guy and everything went smoothly.
"Can't Feed Them? Don't Breed Them!" applies to both people and animals.
orangelo
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:59:59 PM
[Last Edit: 9/2/2009 3:08:01 PM by orangelo]
WTF.

authorize.net is the same provider that Knights Armament Company uses for their online store. I bought a bunch of rail covers from them this morning and the cc processing went through them.

So Armament companies are OK. Gun companies are not.
the-fly
Bastard of the network
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2009 3:15:06 PM
Nothing a hefty lawsuit can't fix, followed by a huge notice on your web site (which google will index, and when people google info for fucktards.net errrr Authorize.Net, they'll see your nasty gram about them).
Driver carries more than $20 worth of ammunition.
A despicable, shameful, "right wing" extremist.
dinzag
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2009 8:56:25 AM
Same happened to me. We do not sell firearms, only parts & accessories.

Apparently any part that is required in the function of a firearm is also considered a firearm and is grounds for termination.

This is what I was told by the "unreachable" folks in the abuse department.
I spent literally hours on the phone before finally convincing the underlings to pass the phone up to their superiors.
hondaciv
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2009 9:01:31 AM
tag
History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.
david_g17
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2009 9:08:09 AM
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
Originally Posted By EGI_Tactical:

Not... happy.

I will tell you my hard learned lesson- set your website up so that you collect the info, and then run the cards through your in store terminal.

A little more of a PITA? Yes, but it opens you up to a whole new option of processors, and gives you more control. It also means that if something like this happens, you can still take orders online, and just process and ship them in a few days when it all gets fixed.

I can suggest a great company for an in store terminal if you need one.

This also opens you up to liability concerns. Security of the credit card information would become your concern rather than theirs.