Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2009 9:31:14 AM EDT
and if it does work, then why isnt it on new AK's and more guns?

function: "Similar in concept to a dog whistle, it alters the report to an ultrasonic pitch the human ear cannot detect."

we are talking about this muzzle device here:
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard it only helps to reduce the sound report, but it still pretty loud as any gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you post a little bigger picture.   I'm not sure I can see that very well.

Interesting concept.  I'd love to hear what it sounds like.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What rifle is that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What rifle is that?

AN-94

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I want one! I know a s/a version would not capture the recoil mechanism's true function, but thats ok
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#6]
so far it is not for sale to anyone but the Russian military,  which is surprising considering the Russians seem to be willing to sell just about anything else to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Sounds different, but still loud.  You'll still have a lot of noise escaping through the action.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

so far it is not for sale to anyone but the Russian military,  which is surprising considering the Russians seem to be willing to sell just about anything else to anyone.

Its a really advanced design. It contradicts the old Soviet and Russian adage that simplicity is king. So they aren't even issueing it to their conscripts or their Spetznaz. Plus, because it is so expensive to produce and Russia has barely any money, we will probably never see Ivan running around with it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
one thing I can see, is the bayonet attachment points don't match up with all the other ak's, you couldn't stick that longass thing on an ak and expect to mount your bayonet.

also it looks like it's tight, and uses some kind of lug. if a normal version were made to go on any other ak, it would be a screw-on, and of course those are loose and sloppy. doing that might make the ultrasonic thing not work due to loss of pressure. also if it was loose, wobbling around would make the bullet strike it somewhere around the end. and, being a noise suppressor, it must have tighter tolerances at the end than a flash suppressor, so if that happened there would be a huge risk of getting a bullet totally corked and making it go kaboom.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
so that might be why they don't use it on other ak's. I'd guess they don't adapt "new" ak's to use that, because they don't want to fuck with parts compatibility issues between all the other ak's they have in circulation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
one thing I can see, is the bayonet attachment points don't match up with all the other ak's, you couldn't stick that longass thing on an ak and expect to mount your bayonet.

also it looks like it's tight, and uses some kind of lug. if a normal version were made to go on any other ak, it would be a screw-on, and of course those are loose and sloppy. doing that might make the ultrasonic thing not work due to loss of pressure. also if it was loose, wobbling around would make the bullet strike it somewhere around the end. and, being a noise suppressor, it must have tighter tolerances at the end than a flash suppressor, so if that happened there would be a huge risk of getting a bullet totally corked and making it go kaboom.
The rear bayonet lug is sideways on the FSB. Do you think the Russians would design a new bayonet when the current one would work?

Kharn

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
the sideways mount on the FSB, and the muzzle brake you are looking at, take a normal bayonet. it goes on sideways. they didn't have to design a new one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it wont damage your hearing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g573_v4EqS4

Sounds different, but still loud.  You'll still have a lot of noise escaping through the action.

You're hearing the 2 round burst.

The first 2 rounds are at an extremely high RPM, and after that the cyclic rate drops down to around that of an AK or M16.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if any of the major suppressor manufacturers here in the US have
ever tinkered with this concept?

Or better yet....instead of changing the report to an ultra high frquency noise,
change ot to an ultra LOW frequency noise.

That way if the bad guys don't get hit with the bullet coming toward them, the blast of low frequency noise
would make them shit themselves thus lowering morale!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top