Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2009 5:01:58 AM EDT
Not quite sure what the hell is going on with my body.

I recently changed departments at work and went to work for my old boss.   Instead of sitting on my ass all day driving from job to job I now am more active and out of the truck a lot more.    

I have dropped 20lbs and two pant sizes in 4 weeks.    No joke.    It took me three years to gain the weight, and four weeks to drop it off.    I'm now having a hard time keeping the weight on; I have tried eating ultra-high calorie meals to eating normally.    

Years ago I had the problem of always getting the shakes when I got hungry.   I corrected it by eating small snacks inbetween meals.     I assumed it just went away.

Starting about two weeks go I started to notice I would get the shakes B_A_D (10x worse than I have ever had), get very weak and feel like my mind was in a fog/difficult to concentrate.   I would grab a coke and be good for a few hours, then another coke, etc.  

Last week things didn't fair so well.   I ended up on the ground and the next thing I know I'm in the office.   I remember talking to a few guys,then all of a sudden it was damn near impossible to focus my thoughts,  my ears had the loudest ringing one could imagine, dizzy, tunnel vision, very weak and could hear my heart pounding the loudest muscular pumping noise ever.   I wake up and I'm in the office.   Shaking like hell.   One of the guys gave me a pop-tart and I could barely hold it steady enough to make it into my mouth.    After consuming the gourmet treat, 30 minutes later I felt alright.   I had a pounding headache and was ultra-tired.    I decided to go home where I slept almost 13 hours.    

The following day, I was still very tired but made it to work.      Since then each time I eat something I get very fatigue and a bit shaky.   I have tried complex carbs (peanuts, etc) protein bars, no coke; only water / lemon ,etc.      Nothing has helped.  

I have an appt. with the doctor but would like a half-assed opinion of some of the RX guys here, so I can at least go in with a bit of information and understanding of what I'm up against.  

My mother has diabeetus and requires insulin to lower her blood sugar.   Sister occasionally has low blood sugar and simply corrects it with a coke.    Mother/Father/Grandparents all have histories of heart disease/stroke.    So far I'm clear on that as of 8 months ago.

A 12-hr fasting blood test everything came back perfect, as well as the "6-week?? average" .   The last doctor would not do anything else and insisted I was fine.

Obviously something is wrong and I'm quite concerned now given the circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a sugar issue get a blood glucose meter. Get a liver function test as well.

Shakes usually means low sugar for me. Well it did, not any more since I went type II.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask for an A1g test this time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
GET TO A DOCTOR

positive signs of Diabetes at worse case and hypoglycimia as best case but one of theother

sudden rapid weight loss
you probably feel light headed at times
off and on nausia
"Shakes" after eating or when needed to eat.
are you thirsty all the time?
do you have dry mouth most of the time or really thick spit?
any loss of vision or focus?

GET TO AN MD asap, it is nothing for fool with, loss of kidney function, blindness, loss of limbs, etc...

I just re read your post,,IF YOU DIDNT TEST POSITIVE FOR DIABETES LAST TIME, doesnt mean you pancreas didnt take a dump this week.

when I was diagnosed as a full blown diabetic, needed injectable insulin, I was a long time borderline diabetic, normal blood sugars controlled at around 100 to 115 with weekly testing..

didnt feel good one day, one week, 2 weeks, passed out at work as you did...got to the Doc and had blood sugars over 500...
my Doc said when asked HOW COME I was fine a week ago..he said hell, you could not have been diabetic 10 min ago sitting int he office, when the gland goes it goes..

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
+2 for the Beetus
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a prostate exam.

Seriously, talk to your doctor. This is the last place I would take medical advice from.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you might have hypoglycemia.  My wife has it.  If she doesn't eat often enough she'll get the shakes.  If she eats too much sugar she can get the shakes or even pass out.

Some docs say it doesn't exist, but I can say for certain that it does after watching her.  

Try eating pasta and protein (meats) and avoid sugar (even fruits).  Eat often, but eat small portions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GET TO A DOCTOR

positive signs of Diabetes at worse case and hypoglycimia as best case but one of theother

sudden rapid weight loss
you probably feel light headed at times
off and on nausia
"Shakes" after eating or when needed to eat.
are you thirsty all the time?
do you have dry mouth most of the time or really thick spit?
any loss of vision or focus?

GET TO AN MD asap, it is nothing for fool with, loss of kidney function, blindness, loss of limbs, etc...

I just re read your post,,IF YOU DIDNT TEST POSITIVE FOR DIABETES LAST TIME, doesnt mean you pancreas didnt take a dump this week.

when I was diagnosed as a full blown diabetic, needed injectable insulin, I was a long time borderline diabetic, normal blood sugars controlled at around 100 to 115 with weekly testing..

didnt feel good one day, one week, 2 weeks, passed out at work as you did...got to the Doc and had blood sugars over 500...
my Doc said when asked HOW COME I was fine a week ago..he said hell, you could not have been diabetic 10 min ago sitting int he office, when the gland goes it goes..

This happened to me 13 years ago.  

Best thing you can do right now is to change your diet.  More protein and less carb.
Your sister drinking coke for low blood sugar is actually bad.  She should eat something like cheese or peanuts instead.  Sugar will raise the sugar leve too quickly and bring it down too quickly.

Protein is a lot slower and most constant form of energy.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
See a doctor.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#12]

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD POST THAT!!!!!            

ETA:  OP, sorry you're having trouble.  All The Best!

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seriously, talk to your doctor. This is the last place I would take medical advice from.

This ASAP... uncontrolled shaking is not something to sit around and think about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Been trying the protein bars since Saturday.   Sunday they helped but have seemed to do nothing starting around Sunday night into this morning.

I ate breakfast this morning; I was a bit hungry but didn't have the shakes just yet .  Had a ham/egg omelet, hash browns and water.    I could honestly go to sleep right now; feel as if I haven't slept for days.   I felt fine and it's like it hit me like a freight train.

I have seen about 10 different doctors about this problem.   Starting around 1997 to present day I have always gotten the shakes and had a hell of a time keeping weight on.   I can eat 8,000 calories a day and not gain a pound (no bullshit, I've tried) .  
Every doctor does some 6-week average? test, and a 12-hour fasting test.   They all say I'm fine and nothing is wrong.    I gave up about three years ago searching for an answer after doctor #10 told me I was fine .  

I have not had any symptoms and basically ate/drank whatever I wanted up until a few weeks back.   Once I became more active at work and no longer sitting on my ass, the same thing is happening all over again .    

Is there a special doctor that deals with diabeetus / blood sugar problems?  

My current doctor I have an appt with in a few weeks, I may see if I can up it .    

I have a glucose meter at home, the last time I checked when I felt "funny" it said I was around 80 something.   Have not checked since then.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I will go ahead and concur with the Diabetes, from your symptoms and story descritpion.  Kinda had the same problem since I was 15 months old  and you can get a meter for free online, or $10 at the wal-mart/wal greens.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
You could have Handgina. I get it if i play with myself too much. The hands gets all shaky and dont know if its a pop tart or a willy its latched onto.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't go to a GP (General Practicioner) or a Doc in a Box clinic, go see an Internist or an Endocrinologist (Gland Doctor).
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#20]
do you use any artificial sweeteners?  This includes Splenda.  I know it is "made" from sugar, but it is also made from bleech.

Lots of issues with long-term users of artificial sweeteners.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Endocrinologist, FTW!

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
diabeetus.

I'm in the same boat my self, not so much shakes, but light headedness, cant focus my eyes in the morning, piss all the damn time. going in WED for a fasting test. doc is really worried cause i only have one kidney, and diabeetus is something not to fuck around with. get it checked right away.

(and yes diabetes is spelled wrong on purpose.)
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get a prostate exam.

I LOLed pretty hard!

ETA:  Wear this T-shirt to see the doc.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
do you use any artificial sweeteners?  This includes Splenda.  I know it is "made" from sugar, but it is also made from bleech.

Lots of issues with long-term users of artificial sweeteners.

Sorry you failed chemistry class.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a glucose meter at home, the last time I checked when I felt "funny" it said I was around 80 something.   Have not checked since then.

For me, 80 is kinda low.  The number is also dependant on how long ago you ate before you did the test.  At 80, I can feel something is not right and I usually check...if it's that low, it's snack time.

Doctors get blood glucose meters as samples or give aways all the time.  You may not have to purchase one, just ask the doc.  I know you already have one, but this is for other people that may not.  Often you can get a free meter off the maker's website....they make money off the strips and they can give away the meters ans still make a healthy profit.

Someone else mentioned some symptoms, but there are a couple of others.  Do you wake up a couple of times a night with your mouth completely dry and do you wake up several times at night to urinate(every 1½-2 hours)?

mm
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#28]
It sounds as if you had an A1c along with a Fasting blood glucose test 8months ago?  Both came back WNL...

Do you have a constant thirst?  Do you have to get up throughout the night to urinate?

In regards to your shakes...  Do you also have a cold clammy sweat when this happens?

Do you take any anti hypertensive medications?

With the familial history of diabetes diabeetus you certainly must consider this possibility, however as previous posters have mentioned a visit to a good Endocrinologist is in order...  These guys are rocket scientists of medicine.

You should immediately begin to keep a log of your blood glucose readings...  Take your reading when you wake up (the dawn phenomenon) Take it 2 hours after you eat a meal.  Also when you have an episode, have someone available who can get a reading for you at that time...

One more thing: make sure the strips you are using are properly calibrated to your BG monitor... Also make sure they are IN DATE.  They do degrade over time after being exposed to air (when you open the bottle the first time).
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#29]
No constant thirst or frequent urination.

It comes on like a freight train if I get hungry and after I have eaten a meal.   After eating, I still feel hungry; even it it was a HUGE meal?

I'm not on any other medication now and have not been for several months.   I was taking Xanex at night for severe shortness of breath but that shit just made me feel awful so I stopped taking it after about three days.  The SOB eventually dissipated and now this crap is happening.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Edit:  Why would becoming more physically active make me suddenly get the shakes ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#31]

this. first responder was great. you should have seen my scroll down/diet cola choke. amazing form, good job.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#32]
You're all slackin.

Dibs on guns, gear, and ammo.

There is some very good advice in this thread. But only four words:

Go see a Doctor!

Everything else is just speculation. Arfcom often gives good medical advice, and unless it' one of the medical professionals it always consists of those four words.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]
If it isn't diabetes, it could be a thyroid issue or other glandular problem.

There is a girl at work who has a thyroid issue and she can drop weight amazingly fast, no matter what she eats. If she takes her medication, she will be fine, but other factors can mess with her as well.

I will echo the other suggestions to see an endocrinologist
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Edit: Why would becoming more physically active make me suddenly get the shakes ?

Someone is slipping crystal meth into your protein shakes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#35]
<––––     Somebody call me?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Withdrawal symptoms from quitting the blow.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like low blood sugar. I get shakes if I don't eat, but never afterward. What's your diet like?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Go see a doctor.  If they give you the run around, find a better one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Edit:  Why would becoming more physically active make me suddenly get the shakes ?

It sounds like your body is having trouble regulating glucose levels. A sudden increase in physical activity could worsen that condition, or it may simply be a coincidence.

Eating can temporarily drive your glucose levels up. Normally the body responds by producing insulin. Diabetics either don't produce enough of or can't properly use insulin. This results in an excess of sugar in the blood. Bad juju.

This may or may not be the 'beetus, but it sounds like you are experiencing large swings in your blood sugar. Beetus could certainly cause that, but there are probably many other possible problems. If you've passed two fasting tests then you probably don't have typical type one or two diabetes. There is likely something else going on. You might suggest to your doctor to track your glucose levels prior to and after eating. I'm fairly certain there is a defined test using a known glucose dose that might be administered, but if that doesn't trigger these symptoms then push for a 'normal' meal. There may well be an allergy or something else at work. They may be reluctant to do this outside of a hospital setting.

The most important thing you can do is be persistent and describe everything in as much detail as you can. Give as accurate a personal and family history as possible.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I have issues with hypoglycemia. If I don't eat regularly, I get the shakes. I keep peanuts with me at all times just in case.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not on any other medication now and have not been for several months.   I was taking Xanex at night for severe shortness of breath but that shit just made me feel awful so I stopped taking it after about three days.  The SOB eventually dissipated and now this crap is happening.

Xanax for SOB?  Sounds like the prescriber considered your breathing problems to be caused by anxiety or a panic disorder.
Chronic anxiety can be related to a thyroid disorder.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Increase in adrenaline?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xanax for SOB?  Sounds like the prescriber considered your breathing problems to be caused by anxiety or a panic disorder.
Chronic anxiety can be related to a thyroid disorder.

I made a post about a year ago and the thread was quite long.  It may be in the archives now.    It was regarding my ongoing problem with Shortness of breath (SOB).

I did a breathing test and one doctor told me I had pleurisy, gave some pain medicine and then eventually told me I had asthma (First for anyone in the family).   He put me on predisone(sp), asthmamex?, an inhailer and some other medicine.   He told me to come back in 14 days to see how things were.   No improvement.   He changed the inhaler and the other medicines.  It did nothing but make me unable to sleep at night, my heart race out of my chest.   I stopped taking everything except the predisone  and slowly stopped that (you can't just stop taking it as you know already I'm sure).    I left it at that and found another doctor.  

I told him what happened with the doctor before him.   He does a breathing test of his own, says I have a very mild case of asthma but it does not respond to treatment.   It's nothing to worry about.      He suggested it may be panic /anxiety attacks.    I laughed at that.   He insisted to give him an opportunity to see if he can figure this out.     Most of the doctors my wife work(she is an RN) with suggested that I go see this guy and gave the highest recommendations.    With that in mind I decided to allow the opportunity as I was getting absolutely miserable.  

He told me to take a 0.5mg of Xanex at night before bed for 14 days and see how it works.   Well the first night I felt like someone beat me into the ground.  Awful stuff .   By the end of the two weeks I still was extremely drained and felt like shit most of the time.   The SOB was pretty much under control.   He said to continue taking the Xanex.    I did some reading on the medicine; druggies use it, side effects, habit forming, etc.    I would rather be short of breath than be addicted to some crazy pill.  I also felt like shit 24/7 now.   He advised to take 1/2 pill 0.25mg instead of the 0.50.    I ignored that and pretty much stopped taking that shit months ago.   The SOB still happens but not like it was.    I can live with it.

Now that I'm about 300% more physically active than I was before, I feel like shit again.  Completely run down, shakes, and extremely tired.  

Just a few minutes ago, after I ate something I was alright, then like a light switch I felt like crap.  Very tired, hard to think clearly, weak etc.   I checked my blood sugar and it's right at 102.    Not sure what the hell is going on.

I am going to call my current doctor to see if I can up my appt. to this week or next hopefully.    I seriously can't continue living like this.  One minute I feel fine, and the next I feel as if I am going to pass out.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Increase in adrenaline?

Hell of I know?  

I went from sitting in my work truck 95% of the day driving from job to job, to now on just a few medium sized jobs and actually getting out and doing things.   I would say there's a 250-300% increase in physical activity.   Walking, standing, kneeling, stairs, climbing, carrying things and all outside.   Central Florida is quite hot hot hot!.  

As I mentioned, I was absolutely fine and felt perfect, the best I had felt in years prior to me fainting last Thursday.     Now I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and can't get out of this shitty feeling.   Every few hours I'll feel good for about 60-120min, then all of a sudden the light switch clicks and I feel like shit.   Then an hour or so will pass and "click" I feel better but very drained.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
You say you are working in central Florida?

I suggest that the heat is affecting your ability to control blood sugar. Some people have an issue where insulin resistance increases when near thermal overload. Not to the point of heat stroke (far from it). It can cause the body to "attack" food and be unable to manage sugars properly. I "think" that insulin levels increase dramatically (after eating), however the sugars cannot be properly utilized by the cells. Or some variation on that theme.

Get yourself a blood sugar meter and a good number of the strips. Test away (at all times of the day). Make sure to write down the situation (morning before eating) (morning 30 mins after eating) (before lunch) (when having trouble) etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My current doctor I have an appt with in a few weeks, I may see if I can up it .    

These days, just about every doctor is well versed in Diabetes. All that High Fructose Corn Syrup and Red Dye No. 5 that big business has been feeding us is starting to come back to haunt the average American. Diabetes is approaching epidemic levels in the USA because of what we eat and the huge portion sizes we consume. We are a nation of fat bodies and doctors are seeing a metric ass-ton of these cases every year.

You don't even have to be a fat body to be diabetic....
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Dibs on all your guns, ammo, and possibly womenz.

What ever you got, Obamacare will not cover. You're going to die.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Separated at Birth

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#50]
my lowest recent blood sugar level was 55 and that was after a night of famous daves for dinner and a few beers. 4 hours after dinner and I was sweating trying to sleep but was restless.  I got up for some water, mouth was dry, and realized how bad my shakes were when I tried to fill the glass.

I grabbed my meter and tested at 55.  Then I ate a glucose tab and some milk.

Now I eat more carbs and things seem to be a bit more stable for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top