Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to hijack, but I worked with a woman who was very fair skinned and had white blond hair. . . Her first name was Yesham. . . I thought she was Israeli, but turned out she was Turkish!

She told me there is a good size group of people in Turkey with those characteristics. . . . some believe it was from the Greeks coming through that area with Alexander the Great. . . don't know about that, but certainly that area was criss-crossed by many peoples over the centuries conquering, trading, etc. . . I would think the same could be said for Spain. . .

I think that in some academic circles the Hittites are thought to have some fair-skinned characteristics, and they were the first tribes in that area.

The Greeks owned Turkey until they were kicked out by the Turks who were Steppe nomads.  Ionia, aka western Turkey was settled by Greeks back before Homer's day.  A sizable Gothic tribe was also settled there prior to the demise of the Roman empire.  And the Greeks probably weren't always swarthy looking people with dark skin...that probably came courtesy of the Turkish conquest as well.  

No doubt the ancestry came from a lot of places.  Trade flourished in that part of the region under the Roman period as well, so you could have germanic peoples in addition to their brief conquests of the region.  But I find it interesting that the history of fair skinned, fair haired people in that part of the region could go back as far a biblical times.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And the Greeks probably weren't always swarthy looking people with dark skin...that probably came courtesy of the Turkish conquest as well.  

True enough - note Achilles and Menelaus in Homer, both of whom have hair described as ξανθὸς - variously translated as 'fair,' 'yellow,' or 'red.'
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Both the Spanish (actual-from-Spain Spanish) and Sicilians had light hair until they were invaded by dark-haired groups.

Kharn

ie, the Moors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be surprised to see some blond or even red-head given that it was conquered by the goths.

So that explains the dark clothing and bad dancing, but what about the hair?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Both the Spanish (actual-from-Spain Spanish) and Sicilians had light hair until they were invaded by dark-haired groups.

Kharn

yeah, my old man always said that Sicillians were 1/4 dark haired group

I guess now I get what he meant by that

On the serious side, I think OP is confusing Spanish speakers with Spaniards.  Spaniards come in blond.  More of a dirty blond.  You see a lot of this in South American cities too where the european populations did not mix as much and now make up much of the middle and upper classes.  Go to a nice office building in Mexico City and you will see plenty of evidence of this.  It is like a Mexican game show without the puppets and music.  (translation: total babefest).
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The Vikings were also all over Spain.  And I also knew a Basque-descended woman who was a blond.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some do, some don't. Spain is in Europe you know.

Remember that Spain was ruled, in part or whole, by Arabs for a few hundred years. There's some of that in the gene pool.

Bullshit! Yes, im sure when spain got invaded a lot of woman got raped or whatever but dont forget how it went with the muslims. Tehy force the woman to become muslim or at the least make sure the children are Muslims. (according to Islamic code) And once people are muslims they dont convert!! They chop your head off if you try to convert them and it was prohibited to preach to a muslim in the caliphate anyway.  So once the Christians took back the country they told all the muslims and their children to GTFO. 500 years ago the concept of 'Sangre pura' was pretty important.heck,  it was even illegal to practice Islam in Spain all the way up until 1971.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the Greeks probably weren't always swarthy looking people with dark skin...that probably came courtesy of the Turkish conquest as well.  

True enough - note Achilles and Menelaus in Homer, both of whom have hair described as ξανθὸς - variously translated as 'fair,' 'yellow,' or 'red.'

Not to mention Helen of Troy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A coworker is trying to tell me that back in the 18th century; most Spanish people had blond hair.  Is he right?

EDIT: And no, I am not confusing people from Spain with Hispanics.

They still do.

A couple passed me on the sidewalk the other day; fair haired, tall, and speaking Castillan Spanish.
Kind of a trip, I'm not used to hearing it spoken that way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's because the "Greeks" and "Trojans" were actually Celts

Troy was in England

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top