Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The problem is that a ship not maintained doesn't stay seaworthy for very long,  to say nothing of being battleworthy.   Upkeep on a carrier on standby would still be very
expensive.  It's not like the US has a big budget surplus these days to maintain carriers that aren't in active service.   Plus we just don't have that many full extra
carrier crews just sitting around doing nothing.  

I agree with the sentiment but you know that the logistics are impractical.

CJ

Sadly yes to the above. It's too bad there is no AMARK type option. Salt water is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Screw scrapping her, let her go with Grace.

USS Oriskany:

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is that a ship not maintained doesn't stay seaworthy for very long,  to say nothing of being battleworthy.   Upkeep on a carrier on standby would still be very
expensive.  It's not like the US has a big budget surplus these days to maintain carriers that aren't in active service.   Plus we just don't have that many full extra
carrier crews just sitting around doing nothing.  

I agree with the sentiment but you know that the logistics are impractical.

CJ

Sadly yes to the above. It's too bad there is no AMARK type option. Salt water is a bitch.

I googled AMARK, but didn't come up with an explanation.  What is it?

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I vote for artificial reef...

Let it keep living on, and not melted down for scrap.

+1

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Try AMARC instead.   Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.  "The boneyard", where US military aircraft not in service are stored, whether for later use, resale, parting out, or scrapping.

There is no Naval equivalent.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try AMARC instead.   Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.  "The boneyard", where US military aircraft not in service are stored, whether for later use, resale, parting out, or scrapping.

CJ

Its hard to move a ship on dry land.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent 5 years on USS Midway CV-41 and can speak from experience that ships are dynamic environments. You can't just put them in storage. It costs millions to keep a carrier in good enough shape to even attempt to bring her back to active service. A lot of people, me included, would LOVE to see the old battleships put back in active commission and used to show the flag. The sad truth is that it would cost billions to bring them up to date with new electronics and habitability upgrades. Old ships, and mine was very old, are not a lot of fun to serve on. The berthing spaces were in pretty rough shape. The ship wasn't built with A\C and the retrofit was designed to provide A\C to the radar\radio rooms, not crew comfort. The engineering plants are old steam turbine plants with huge oil-fired boilers. There aren't even many guys on active duty who know how to run a oil-fired boiler anymore. The power plants would need to be upgraded to handle all of the new electronics and other new electrical loads. You can only retrofit so much and the sad truth is that you still have a very old hull that will need a lot of very expensive dry dock upkeep to keep her going.

My ship was lucky and she was saved from the shipbreaker's torch and is now a museum in San Diego. It took about $20 million and several former skippers who retired as flag officers to pull the right strings at the pentagon to make that happen and  to get the ship donated. Not every ship is a good candidate to become a museum. The Navy decommissions ships in various conditions and when a ship has been run hard and put away wet, like the Forrestal, it would be a huge hurdle for a foundation to come up with the funds to keep the hull floating let alone make a go at it as a museum. I would love to see every capital ship saved but it's just not possible. I would rather see them used for target practice and then sunk as a reef than face the final indignity of the shipbreaker's torch and cut up for scrap. Nothing was worse than seeing how Midway's sister ship Coral Sea ended up being on public display for years in Baltimore as she was slowly cut up for scrap.

In all her glory and how she should be remembered:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/coral01.jpg

And her very sad end:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/coral04.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I used to see the USS Midway at NAS Alameda back in the '80s.  I never confirmed it, but someone mentioned it to me when we drove by one time.  

Probably.  Midway was a training carrier until the late 90s IIRC.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Arfcom group buy?

I'm in.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent 5 years on USS Midway CV-41 and can speak from experience that ships are dynamic environments. You can't just put them in storage. It costs millions to keep a carrier in good enough shape to even attempt to bring her back to active service.

And millions to make them into a fine museum too which is just what San Diego and some carrier lovers did here. The Midway looks as good as I remember her from 1982. I spent nearly six years stations on that ship and loved it. I shed a tear when I left, that goodness it was raining that day ... and when I was stationed aboard USS Abraham Lincoln and heard of the Midway's decommissioning I shed another. I am able to go down and visit Midway now and she looks wonderful. I try to get down to visit about once a year as they're adding more and more aircraft and opening additional areas of the ship.

They brag that they're the most visited military museum in the nation.

http://www.midway.org/

Museum ships are the shit.

I visit the USS Texas and USS Lexington semi-regularly here in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Humph, I was on the Sara back in the day. Sad to see her go. USS Forest fire is her sister ship
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I can still remember the Chief grabbing a PKP extinguisher and running towards the aircraft early in the video right before the first big explosion.

Right after, he wasn't there anymore.

Someone posted his name here once but it escapes me now.

It's going to be a sad day when they have to make the same decision for the Big E.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote reef or museum.

ETA: The video of that fire, btw was required viewing in Basic for us back in 2000.  Pretty sure it still is.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, I used to see the USS Midway at NAS Alameda back in the '80s.  I never confirmed it, but someone mentioned it to me when we drove by one time.  

Nope - Midway was in Japan and never made it to the right-hand side of Hawaii until her decommissioning tour. You were likely looking at one of two of my ex-ships - the USS Carl Vinson (south side early 1980's) and the USS Abraham Lincoln (north side pier in the early 1990's. If it was the 80's it was likely USS Carl Vinson named after US House of Representatives member Carl Vinson (D) Georgia.

Thanks for the correction.  I remember looking at whatever it was and thinking it was rather austere looking.  No aircraft on it of course, and that made it look "hollow", or "abandoned".
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can still remember the Chief grabbing a PKP extinguisher and running towards the aircraft early in the video right before the first big explosion.

It's going to be a sad day when they have to make the same decision for the Big E.

The Enterprise is not save-able. The cutting needed to remove the reactors will almost assure her destruction.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a diver, I'm voting for another carrier to be used as an artificial reef...

Indeed. I'd love to dive the Oriskany!
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I vote for museum or reef.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
China would love to buy it!  Look what happened to the Varytag (Red Navy Carrier).
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Enterprise is not save-able. The cutting needed to remove the reactors will almost assure her destruction.

I tried to go back to her when I came up for orders during shore duty, she was coming out of the yards and doing workups for her next deployment.

Detailer told me it would be bad for my career, I said I didn't care, I wanted to go back but I got sent to a Spru-can instead.

She was a great ship and still is.

Sorry for the hijack.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish they'd keep these old carriers in such a condition as to be able to be recommissioned in the event we get into a major conflict again and can't just build new replacements for the ones that we have now that may get sunk.  

How many years does it take to build a new carrier?  An old carrier would be better than no carrier at all, I would think.

Not to mock you..... but, well yeah to mock you. We should keep all the Fords and Chevys built in the 1950s in good condition also.
We should also spend whatever money needed to upgrade and store all the 1950s black and white tvs to digitial receivers and color picture.
And the Army should also keep all the flint lock rifles stored, "just in case."

If a 1950s era car could project power like an aircraft carrier, I'd be all for it.  

If the Army hadn't destroyed "old" M14s in the '90s, more would have been available for deploying units starting in 2002.  As it was government waste wins again.

Mock me all you want, but carriers can be sunk, and not having them is going to suck if we start losing them at the rapid rate in another high-intensity conflict.

But these are old and broke, and have power plants that not only are ridiculously obsolete, but there are very few people around that have the needed skills to run them.  You can't get spare parts, The combat systems are old and obsolete, and are only partially interoperable with the modern systems.  You would have to train up a few thousand people just to run the physical plant side of things.  Then you would need aircraft and aircrew, etc etc etc.  You could run a total re-build on them and still have a ship that was state of the art 40 years ago.  Once the nukes came along these were on the road out.  

If we ever have a war that needs a bunch of carriers we aren't going to have time to bring these back anyway.

Most of the ships that were set out like these had just about anything and everything of value removed.  The only reason they haven't been scrapped is that nobody can figure out a way to come close to even making a profit doing it.  The Coral Sea taught some major lessons one of which is scrapping a carrier is NOT a good thing to do.  Sink it is about the only way to go.  

Talk to the folks where they have big ships on display about how expensive it is just to keep a small portion of the ship fit to be visited, and the rest preserved to not fall apart.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent 5 years on USS Midway CV-41 and can speak from experience that ships are dynamic environments. You can't just put them in storage. It costs millions to keep a carrier in good enough shape to even attempt to bring her back to active service. A lot of people, me included, would LOVE to see the old battleships put back in active commission and used to show the flag. The sad truth is that it would cost billions to bring them up to date with new electronics and habitability upgrades. Old ships, and mine was very old, are not a lot of fun to serve on. The berthing spaces were in pretty rough shape. The ship wasn't built with A\C and the retrofit was designed to provide A\C to the radar\radio rooms, not crew comfort. The engineering plants are old steam turbine plants with huge oil-fired boilers. There aren't even many guys on active duty who know how to run a oil-fired boiler anymore. The power plants would need to be upgraded to handle all of the new electronics and other new electrical loads. You can only retrofit so much and the sad truth is that you still have a very old hull that will need a lot of very expensive dry dock upkeep to keep her going.

My ship was lucky and she was saved from the shipbreaker's torch and is now a museum in San Diego. It took about $20 million and several former skippers who retired as flag officers to pull the right strings at the pentagon to make that happen and  to get the ship donated. Not every ship is a good candidate to become a museum. The Navy decommissions ships in various conditions and when a ship has been run hard and put away wet, like the Forrestal, it would be a huge hurdle for a foundation to come up with the funds to keep the hull floating let alone make a go at it as a museum. I would love to see every capital ship saved but it's just not possible. I would rather see them used for target practice and then sunk as a reef than face the final indignity of the shipbreaker's torch and cut up for scrap. Nothing was worse than seeing how Midway's sister ship Coral Sea ended up being on public display for years in Baltimore as she was slowly cut up for scrap.

In all her glory and how she should be remembered:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/coral01.jpg

And her very sad end:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/coral04.jpg

That was the Hornet IIRC
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Its hard to move a ship on dry land.

and you can't believe the shit the Skipper gets in the threads here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent 5 years on USS Midway CV-41 and can speak from experience that ships are dynamic environments. You can't just put them in storage. It costs millions to keep a carrier in good enough shape to even attempt to bring her back to active service.

And millions to make them into a fine museum too which is just what San Diego and some carrier lovers did here. The Midway looks as good as I remember her from 1982. I spent nearly six years stations on that ship and loved it. I shed a tear when I left, that goodness it was raining that day ... and when I was stationed aboard USS Abraham Lincoln and heard of the Midway's decommissioning I shed another. I am able to go down and visit Midway now and she looks wonderful. I try to get down to visit about once a year as they're adding more and more aircraft and opening additional areas of the ship.

They brag that they're the most visited military museum in the nation.

http://www.midway.org/

I have to look them up, I have pics from the day she came back into San Diego for the first time after coming back from Yoko flying her Homeward Bound pennant.  Gloomy day gliding in, got locally rainy then too.  Saw the OKC come in with her pennant. I was OOD and didn't get any pics of that
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish they'd keep these old carriers in such a condition as to be able to be recommissioned in the event we get into a major conflict again and can't just build new replacements for the ones that we have now that may get sunk.  

How many years does it take to build a new carrier?  An old carrier would be better than no carrier at all, I would think.

Not to mock you..... but, well yeah to mock you. We should keep all the Fords and Chevys built in the 1950s in good condition also.
We should also spend whatever money needed to upgrade and store all the 1950s black and white tvs to digitial receivers and color picture.
And the Army should also keep all the flint lock rifles stored, "just in case."

If a 1950s era car could project power like an aircraft carrier, I'd be all for it.  

If the Army hadn't destroyed "old" M14s in the '90s, more would have been available for deploying units starting in 2002.  As it was government waste wins again.

Mock me all you want, but carriers can be sunk, and not having them is going to suck if we start losing them at the rapid rate in another high-intensity conflict.

But these are old and broke, and have power plants that not only are ridiculously obsolete, but there are very few people around that have the needed skills to run them.  You can't get spare parts, The combat systems are old and obsolete, and are only partially interoperable with the modern systems.  You would have to train up a few thousand people just to run the physical plant side of things.  Then you would need aircraft and aircrew, etc etc etc.  You could run a total re-build on them and still have a ship that was state of the art 40 years ago.  Once the nukes came along these were on the road out.  

If we ever have a war that needs a bunch of carriers we aren't going to have time to bring these back anyway.

Most of the ships that were set out like these had just about anything and everything of value removed.  The only reason they haven't been scrapped is that nobody can figure out a way to come close to even making a profit doing it.  The Coral Sea taught some major lessons one of which is scrapping a carrier is NOT a good thing to do.  Sink it is about the only way to go.  

Talk to the folks where they have big ships on display about how expensive it is just to keep a small portion of the ship fit to be visited, and the rest preserved to not fall apart.

Some good explanations in this thread.  A carrier isn't an Iowa Class BB, it appears (more complicated in some ways).   I was thinking of keeping these ships preserved enough for a very short service life under emergency circumstances, but it sounds like they're used up right until the day of their last cruise with no service life left in them.  Talk about squeezing blood from a stone...

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys Forestall, like ex-America will not go down in vain.

We have access to some (and probably all) of Russia and China's best anti-ship missiles.
The Navy won't say what they fired at the ex-America, but here's a good guess at one of them.
Buy hitting the old carriers with this stuff the Navy can build much better future carriers.

Boeing/Zvezda-Strela MA-31

In May 1995, McDonnell Douglas received a contract for an FCT (Foreign Comparative Testing) program, which would evaluate a version of the Russian Zveda-Strela Kh-31A missile as a target drone.
The Kh-31A was a high-speed active radar guided air-launched anti-ship missile known to the NATO as AS-17 Krypton.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/ma-31.html

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My Granddad was  Master Chief on the Forrestal when they had the fire.
And he came back with when it was decommissioned.

He seemed to think it would be better to build a new one that try to make this one battle worthy again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is old and busted, the Navy and the US taxpayer got every cent out her and then some.  She was commissioned 1 Oct 1955, she sailed for 38 years until 1993.  She has spent the rest of the time in mothballs, it would have taken considerable time and effort to bring her back to sea worthiness, the amount of $$ to do this would be astronomical.

When I was a kid, I used to go to Vallejo with the folks to see the grandparents.  On the way up from San Jose, we'd cross the Carquinez bridge near Benicia.  If you looked to the right you'd see rows and rows and rows of ships from what is called the National Defense Reserve Fleet,  just tied up there in Suisun bay.  In fact, the USNS Glomar Explorer was out there too, but it was out in the middle of the bay away from the other ships.  As the years went by, the fleet kept getting smaller and smaller as I supppose the ships became more unservicable due to age.  I think some of the NDRF ships were re-activated during Desert Shield, but suffered from mechanical breakdowns while at sea.  

I have to wonder how much preventative maintenance was performed on those old ships between use.  I doubt if it was much but I have no idea.  

I assume the ships "work" when they are decommissioned, but it sounds like they just fall apart out of neglect-as if there is a finite amount of time they can be "recovered" for use once the Navy stops using them.  

I remember seeing the Mighty Mo in Bremerton as a kid back in '74 or so.  It was hermetically sealed against the elements and you couldn't go below deck.  I just have to wonder why it can't be done with a carrier.

Sir, WADR I must disagree with just about everything you have posted.  FWIW, I've spent a career in the overhaul and repair of our US Navy aircraft carriers as well as quite a few other ships in various capacities.  The list of ships I've spent considerable time on include "Forrestfire" but the reality of my experiences surpass any nostalgic feelings I may have for her.  The mention of the ship sweating the smell of deceased former shipmates is ludicrous.  The drenching of JP5 and stench of actual living individuals long since drowned out the acrid smoke of the welding that replaced major portions of decks and bulkheads after the fire.  When we actually decide to decommission these ships, very little of the major components actually "work" what ever that may mean to you.  When we decommed JFK one of the published reasons was due to largely dysfunctional catapults.  An aircraft carrier without functioning aircraft launch and recovery systems serve little purpose regardless how fast she can plow through the water.  I've spent many a day working to repair JFK over the years, I can personally attest to the fact that there was a lot more than just catapults that didn't "work".

The reality of ships like the Forrestal, America, JFK, Mo., Wisconsin, et al is that major components such as main engines, turbo generators, boilers, feed pumps, and mind boggling ranges of various valves are no longer manufactured.  Even if a given manufacturer still exists the actual shipboard components are long since out of production.  Replacement of such components with similar machines involves major structural design and often results in rearrangement and relocation of other systems and components in a sort of domino effect.  All this means that most of the major components are beyond practical repair simply due to a lack of spare parts.

FWIW, one of the major obstacles currently being addressed aboard USS Enterprise, CVN65 involves replacement of some critical propulsion plant pumps which we have repaired so many times over the life of the ship that there's nothing left to work with.  All just to extend the service life of a ship almost as old as Forrestal for just one more deployment.

I don't really care how we dispose of these ships, but there does come a time where disposal is the most practical option.  If some historical society can come up with the money to preserve them, great but the expense of preservation should not be at taxpayer expense when it already costs so much to maintain an active fleet of eleven nuclear powered aircraft carriers.  The information we gained from the sinking exercises of CV66 are invaluable to the design of future ships, we need to have more like that.  I vote for making her and artificial reef after we have at her with every weapon we can muster!  JMHO, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Melt it down and use it in another Carrier.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was with VA-65 then. We lost four men and one aircraft damaged.
I had just gone to sleep (o3 level just under the forward cats) when it happened. I'll never forget the sound those 1000 pounders made when they cooked off. Not like an explosion as you'd think....it was as if the entire ship was a giant gong.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

As it turns out,  "old" ships (and any of our carriers that is due for retirement would qualify) are made of steel that is universally considered to be of much higher quality

than the recycled steel that's used to build new ships these days.       From a metallurgical standpoint, using old ships as raw material for new ones would be very good,

nearly as good as using virgin steel made from mined ore with no recycled content.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Arfcom group buy?

Shooting range on the flight deck, obviously.  Rifles range at the bow and stern.  Pistols port side and skeet starboard side.  FTW
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I know there was a group that was desperately trying to bring the Forrestal to Baltimore as a museum.  My Father served on that ship, and my parents live within an hour of Baltimore.  Would have been nice to get to go on Dad's old ship.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Trillions in bailouts but not one red cent for keeping an aircraft carrier in ready reserve!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#38]
when we group buy it let's go scair the shit out of some greenpeace hippies
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#39]
If they're gonna melt it down, the least they can do is the steel in the Ford or the next carrier.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Artificial reef or museum is the only answer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As it turns out,  "old" ships (and any of our carriers that is due for retirement would qualify) are made of steel that is universally considered to be of much higher quality
than the recycled steel that's used to build new ships these days.       From a metallurgical standpoint, using old ships as raw material for new ones would be very good,
nearly as good as using virgin steel made from mined ore with no recycled content.

CJ

Sounds good, some company could probably recycle them much more efficiently if the gov. would provide them with a schedule of x# of ships a year to recycle rather than having it be a one time project.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It'd make a hell of a floating casino.  

CJ

Yeah!!! That's been my idea all along! All this combat equipment,we don't need! We'll have all the popular bands,comedians,a small golf tournament,kiddie room in the bridge(so mommy and daddy can have fun downstairs). And a big flat deck so all the helicopters can land(and there'll be lots). We'll make soo much $$$,that President Printmore will come visit,to ask for a loan.

The Big "E" too! We can use her,in addition to forementioned above,as a training platform for all the budding nuclear powerplant engineers(and this will be paid for by the power companies,yet another win for $$$)

Damn,I'm smart!

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Arfcom group buy?

this!

We can park it off Somalia and shoot at pirates.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if we could sell it to China, North Korea, or Iran ... then get to use it for target practice later
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USS Midway was the forward deployed carrier (stationed in Yokosuka, Japan) from 1973 until 1991.

Carriers that called NAS Alameda home at one time included the USS Ranger, USS Midway, USS Coral Sea, USS Hancock, USS Enterprise and the USS Lincoln.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/024346.jpg
Aerial view of Naval Air Station Alameda, summer of 1974.
Left to right: USS Coral Sea (CVA-43), USS Hancock (CVA-19), USS Oriskany (CVA-34), and USS Enterprise (CVAN-65).

CVN-70 was home ported in Alameda as well until 92/93 when they changed her home port to Bremerton WA when she came out of the yards (refit).
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

Sounds good, some company could probably recycle them much more efficiently if the gov. would provide them with a schedule of x# of ships a year to recycle rather than having it be a one time project.
Lots and lots of regs involved,which make it hard to make a profit.

Think the SS United States is still in Philly.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope - Midway was in Japan and never made it to the right-hand side of Hawaii until her decommissioning tour. You were likely looking at one of two of my ex-ships - the USS Carl Vinson (south side early 1980's) and the USS Abraham Lincoln (north side pier in the early 1990's. If it was the 80's it was likely USS Carl Vinson named after US House of Representatives member Carl Vinson (D) Georgia.

I was ships company on the Vinson 89-93. I also had the pleasure of spending several days exploring the following ships while we salvaged some equipment off them. USS Bon Home Richard CVA-31, Oriskany and USS Hornet CVS-12, I toured the Midway during fleet week in Seattle before she got mothballed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Think the SS United States is still in Philly.

Off topic, but I never understood the logic of carying upto 15,000 troups in a single ship during a time of war...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

... a couple torpedos or big anti ship missle and that is a huge loss ...

Anyways, sorry for the tangent.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top