Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:57:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel terrible for the fiancee of the officer, and for the mother of the little shit that pulled the trigger. knowing her son is going to either be put down or grow old and die in prison. i'm sure he'll have an eventful  life and meet plenty of distinguished characters.

the mess that the families are left with is more than anyone could bear.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
RIP
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
RIP
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a tragedy for sure.

Although I can't say I care for the part about 'you're going to get charged with more regardless of whether you knew he was a cop'.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
What the fuck is wrong with people? Why kill someone because they told you to just leave? Fuck that guy, I hope he gets what's coming to him. RIP, Officer Sigler.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Although I can't say I care for the part about 'you're going to get charged with more regardless of whether you knew he was a cop'.

He should get the chair whether is was a cop or not.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the fuck is wrong with people? Why kill someone because they told you to just leave? Fuck that guy, I hope he gets what's coming to him. RIP, Officer Sigler.

First Degree Murder should be death.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, poor guy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chair is an easy way out. It's too quick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Stupid Punk,   give him the death penalty.       RIP Officer Sigler  
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Terrible, just terrible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Fry em.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bet the cop didn't show proper respect to the kids.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Helluva lot cheaper than letting him sit and rot in prison for 60 years
                Unless you were talking about some sort of capital punishment that kills him slower

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn.

Good on the neighbors for trying to help, most people wouldn't get involved.

Fry the punk.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#18]
RIP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mobile police officer killed; teen charged
Thursday, June 04, 2009
By JILLIAN KRAMER
Staff Reporter
Mobile policeman Brandon Sigler was breaking up a fight between two young women late Tuesday night when one of the girl's boyfriends — a teenager — fired a single shot, hitting the off-duty officer in the chest and killing him, police said Wednesday.

The handgun used in the killing, Deputy Chief James Barber said, was reported stolen last year from a Mobile County sheriff deputy's personal vehicle.

Eighteen-year-old Richard Joseph Hollingsworth has been charged with capital murder, third-degree receiving stolen property, possession of an altered firearm and second-degree possession of marijuana, according to police.

The teenager apologized to Sigler's family as he was walked from police headquarters to the car that would take him to the Baldwin County Corrections Center.

"I showed up to save my girlfriend," Hollingsworth said. "(A) guy told us to leave with a gun on his hip. I got scared, and I pulled a pistol out and shot him."

Assistant District Attorney Nikki Patterson said that even though Sigler was plain-clothed and off-duty, he was still "fulfilling part of his obligations, and it is not a requirement that the shooter be aware of the identity of the officer" to be charged with capital murder, making Hollingsworth eligible for the death penalty.

"When he (Sigler) got himself up out of bed in the middle of the night after working all day and went out to try to restore order in the parking lot ... he was acting as a police officer," Patterson said.

Police said Sigler was acting as a courtesy officer — a police officer who provides security for an apartment complex in exchange for reduced rent or other perks — at the Tyler Ridge Apartments off Thomas Road, where he lived.

The 26-year-old officer had separated two females who were shouting and hitting one another at about 11:30 p.m., and was trying to send them home when a teenager pulled into the parking lot in his truck, police said.

A neighbor, who watched the fight from her balcony, said that Sigler was standing between two women and two young men and instructed one couple to leave. The neighbor, who declined to be named for fear of retribution, said that the pair got into the truck with the teenager.

But instead of leaving, the neighbor said, the truck stopped near where Sigler and the other couple still stood, and the driver started yelling at the woman on the sidewalk.

"The officer started walking toward the truck," she said, "and I ran into the other room to check on my baby, and when I came back to the window, he was falling down."

Barber said that Sigler was walking toward the passenger's side of the truck when he was shot. The driver, he said, was standing outside the truck and had reached through the cab of the car, across the female, to fire the shot.

"The officer and the shooter never actually made contact," he said. "I don't think he ever saw what was coming. And if he did, he saw it too late."

Sigler's weapon was still holstered when police arrived, Barber said.

Said the neighbor: "I went down and looked at him (Sigler), and he was still breathing, so I got my neighbor to help me do CPR. He took one deep breath, but that was it."

Loraine Washington said she performed mouth-to-mouth on Sigler as her neighbor pushed down on his chest. "He was just laying there with his arm out," Washington said. "We knew he was gone after the first round, but we just kept doing it."

When officers arrived at the scene, they took over and performed CPR until an ambulance arrived, Barber said. Sigler was pronounced dead at Providence Hospital.

Patrol officers saw a truck that matched the description of the shooter's vehicle about midnight, Barber said, but when they attempted to pull it over, the driver fled. After a short chase, the driver "lost control of the vehicle; he couldn't make the turn," Barber said, and he crashed at McFarland and Dawes roads.

The officers took the driver, who was later identified as Hollingsworth, and the other man in the truck into custody, Barber said. The second man was released after questioning.

The female in the truck was taken by helicopter to the University of South Alabama Medical Center for what turned out to be minor injuries, police spokesman Officer Christopher Levy said.

Hollingsworth lives in a home on Hamilton Creek Road that he shares with several other young roommates, police said. He was taken to Baldwin County's jail because Sigler's mother works at Mobile County Metro Jail.

The last Mobile police officer killed in the line of duty was Cpl. Matt Thompson, who died in 2003 when he was hit by a car.

"This was a young officer who was engaged to be married and was closing on a house either today or tomorrow," Barber said of Sigler. "It's an incredible tragedy not just for the Police Department, but for the entire country and for the community as a whole."

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/metro.ssf?/base/news/124410695997590.xml&coll=3&thispage=2

Good job on the citizens trying to save the officer.

"and I ran into the other room to check on my baby, and when I came back to the window, he was falling down."

...he was still breathing, so I got my neighbor to help me do CPR.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... CPR isn't going to do anything for him if he is still breathing.
Should have tried to control the bleeding.
And their description of how they did CPR is full of fail....
First Aid needs to be taught at schools...

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helluva lot cheaper than letting him sit and rot in prison for 60 years                 Unless you were talking about some sort of capital punishment that kills him slower

I was thinking more along the lines of dragging him behind a truck down a gravel road.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helluva lot cheaper than letting him sit and rot in prison for 60 years                 Unless you were talking about some sort of capital punishment that kills him slower

I was thinking more along the lines of dragging him behind a truck down a gravel road.

carefull with that one, prayers for the family

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
OST
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#24]
What the hell for? Talk about a ridiculous response I thought by the title that the officer was killed by one of the fighters (which while stupid, could have suggested an accident.) But the boyfriend? What the fuck...
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
wtf is wrong with people?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#26]
They ought to hang him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Double Tap.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He was probably dead anyway. At least they tried, even if they did it wrong. It didn't hurt anything. There are places where they would've let him die alone.

I hope they fucking execute the guy. The "oh, he had a gun on his hip and I was scared" doesn't fly when you've got a stolen handgun with the numbers wiped off. And I got $5 that says the cop identified himself as a cop. And if he was "scared" it sure took him a while to get scared enough to shoot.

Fuck him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He shot a man in cold blood... that's murder one, so the other charges are pretty much moot.  Too bad you can't fry him twice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Fucking smok-em
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:40:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#33]
His lawyer made me want to see his client executed even more. I hope that's his defense when it goes to trial.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#34]
RIP Officer Sigler.

That little fuck will probably be respected in prison for what he did.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I think Joey will be somebody's girlfriend for a while. This is the type of scum that should be drugged behind a vehicle along with his lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Some men have a propensity to come riding in all "guns a blazing" when they get the damsel in distress signal from their girl.

Some women have a propensity to get themselves into "situations" and then to trigger the above response because it shows how much their man "loves them."

Men with the former propensity ought to avoid women with the later.

Ironically, there have been police officer shootings in exactly this scenario upheld... i.e., advancing unknown clearly carrying a weapon.  

But by and large the problem here is with Mr. "ride in to the rescue" who no doubt showed up ramped up with adrenalin.  I cannot see that he'll have a good threat articulation, but the fact that the officer apparently was not yelling "police officer" didn't help things.

I see a conviction in that young man's future.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They ought to hang him.

public hanging at that

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I got scared, and I pulled a pistol out and shot him

Fuck you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#42]
RIP

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top