Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2009 7:13:43 PM EDT
I've been playing with the idea of another Glock, if money allows. I had my sights set on a G19. I walk into Lynchburg Pawn (Lynchburg, VA.) today to see what they've got. UMC .40S&W at $34.99/50, a used SAR-1 for $799.95, and a boat load of other over-priced hilarity. I step over to the pistol counter and check out their Glock pistols. For sale are a G30SF, 19, 31C, 33, and one of the new Glock 22 models with the wierd...yeah, we'll skip that one.

I proceed to look over the 19 and ask the kindly sales lady about their layaway plan. For there is nothing more gorgeous than having a few guns on layaway. She tells me that I will have to pay 20% down and that I will be allowed a 2-year layaway. Never heard this before! I'm used to 30 days, 60 days, or 90 at the most. TWO YEARS! As long as I pay a little each month, they said I'm good to go. Of course, I'll have it in a few weeks probably, and put another on layaway for a while longer. So, I walk out with a smile on my face and a little piece of paper stating that I owe $400. Life is good.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i have never bought somethign on layaway
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Jesus, that's ghettotastic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
2 years?

Maybe if its a MG just to lock in the price or something

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did once, I wanted that SKS but didnt have all the cash on me, I placed it on layaway and came back the next day
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ill give a .50 a month
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Me neither
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I walk into Lynchburg Pawn (Lynchburg, VA.) today to see what they've got.

I don't much see a pawn shop doing this unless they're charging some vig.

You might want to take a closer look at that piece of paper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used layaway at a local gun store.It is for 90 days only but a very nice thing to use.I would not have what i do without it.Beats using a cc to buy it,some of us just arent as rich as most of the people on arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have used layaway at a local gun store.It is for 90 days only but a very nice thing to use.I would not have what i do without it.Beats using a cc to buy it,some of us just arent as rich as most of the people on arfcom.

Saving money is obviously out of the question.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty much sums it up I guess. I've got four a month old son, and I rent our apartment, so this seemed like a sweet deal. I asked if there was a catch. Nothing. Just pay some every month and they won't get pissed.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]
nothing wrong with it imho
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If I can't pay for it cash I don't need it, exception of a home.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting for the Glock/atom bomb gif.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Does buying an AR piece by piece count as layaway? Closest I've ever been.  It isn't about being rich, it's called saving your money.  Shhh don't tell it's a secret.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't do layaway; I don't like to owe people.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+87

If my credit card doesn't have room for it, I don't need it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you see something rare, and you know you can't afford it. You can put it on layaway, and make sure no one else snatches it
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]
No Glock can last for 2 years without blowing up, even if it is just sitting on a shelf the whole time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I think that's a pretty sweet deal.  Locks in the price, no interest.  As long as it's a reputable place, I see only an upside.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you see something rare, and you know you can't afford it. You can put it on layaway, and make sure no one else snatches it

Doesn't matter if it's Hitler's pistol or a first-run Garand or whatever; if a person can't afford it outright, they might consider working on their personal finances rather than their gun collection for a while.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd put guns on layaway...but most of the time I just pony up the cash and live frugally for a while.  Of coures if something is really outside my budget I just don't buy it and hope it's there when I have the money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Layaway?  Really?  Why don't you just save some cash?
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of the gun stores I've been to have a layaway policy, but I've never heard 2 years.  I usually hear 30 days or 60 days.

I bought two guns on layaway.  I wanted them really bad and I knew they would be gone in a week but I didn't have $500 right there, so I put $200 down then, and came back when I had the extra $300 I needed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]
The only firearm I have bought on layaway was a new Winchester 9422M right after they stopped production.  I only had enough for a down payment at the time.  I went back two weeks later and paid it off.  They went out of business a few weeks later!  Its a really nice rifle with a nice fiddleback checkered walnut stock and I'm glad I bought it even though I didn't have the money at the time.  Its one of my few safe queens.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here

Me either.  If I can't pay up front I don't really need to spend the money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
A local gun store that I use had credit with 1yr same as cash. I have bought several guns and a safe using this method. Take the item home with you and as long as you pay it off in 1 year, no interest charges. To bad they still don't have it though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A local gun store that I use had credit with 1yr same as cash. I have bought several guns and a safe using this method. Take the item home with you and as long as you pay it off in 1 year, no interest charges. To bad they still don't have it though.

Shop i worked at had the same thing but the credit company that did it got bought out and they refuse to finance weapons

we have 90 day layaway but will go up to 12 months if they guy is at least making a effort to make payments on it
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
What a terrible way to feed gun disease.
I like it!

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I do it fairly often, specially when it's a bit more than I'm comfortable parting with at the moment, but it's something I've been looking for.  Also, I tend to buy used guns that are often out of production.  Last time it was a S&W 1076, I didn't have the full amount so $100 went down and I picked it up a month later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Closest to layaway i've every come to, is waiting on the Fed to approve my transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top