Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 11:17:27 AM EDT
Was there a tactical reason this was incorporated into the AR design? Does it just aid in cleaning?

It would seem less expensive to just make the trigger-guard part of the casting/forging of the lower receiver. I'm sure there was a reason for doing it, just curious as to why. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello, Kevin.

I see that you are from Minnesota.  My best friend is a native of Thief River Falls.

Go put on your heaviest winter gloves, and attempt to pull the trigger.  Now swing the trigger guard down and try it again...

Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Bud and Striker hit the nail on the head.

Having lived in Alaska almost all my life and having been through a couple military arctic survival schools:

Cool School/EAFB and
NWTC/Northern Warfare Training Center/Ft. Greely

Gloves are nice and the M-16/AR-15 can certainly be fired with big cold weather gloves. Mittens are much better for extreme cold -20 to -70F and you need to flip that puppy down for that.

Before anyone Sh*t's a midget over those temps I have personally fired my carbine for 4 days at -20F we went through aprox 3000 rounds and I started the course with a cleaned, lubed (break free)only weapon and didn't clean it until after the course was over. The only malfunctions I had were shooter induced at the direction of the instructor for malfunction drills.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Bud, my farm is about 50 miles east of TRF. I work construction, so I'm usually on the road. I rent a house in the Metro(Albertville) and an apartment in St. Cloud.

I just picked up my first AR at DPMS yesterday. Me and my M16s were always stationed in Goerga while in the Cavalry. No wonder we never used the pivoting trigger guard(climate).

Now it's very clear. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Kevin N:

OMG, is Alberville now in the METRO?!?!?!?!  I'm hoping that monster eventually stops growing and  stays away from my neck of the woods (Willmar).

If you're ever down this way during the summer, we typically have an informal M-1 shoot once a month here.  Other Mil rifles are OK, like '03s and ARs.  Haven't had anyone bring in an AK, yet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you get it to swing down?
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Mr. K, I consider any city in the Hudson Map Book part of 'The Metro'. When I worked down there 10 yrs ago, Albertville was in the country. Now the morning rush-hour traffic begins in Mentecello. I get to battle it out tomarrow on my way to St. Paul.

Attman, on the ejection side of the AR15/M16 on the trigger-guard assy, the forward pin can be pushed in to release. It will then pivot down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The swing down winter trigger was a Stoner design originally on the early AR-10 rifles.  I had a Sudanese AR-10 and it had it.  Sorry Striker, but it's not just a Canadian thing [:)].  It's been on every M16 and AR made.  I suppose there's some version somewhere that doesn't have it, but I've never heard of it.  It works better on the M16A1 because the pistol grip doesn't have the hump in the front like the A2, so it folds flat easier.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On the upside..the triggers were [b] very crisp[/b][;)]
View Quote

I hear that Bro,
Something you really can't explain you have to live it hehehehehehehe.

At temps like that three things come to mind when you are learning to deal with it.

1)Monkey

2)Fornication

3)Football

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Beer Slayer,

The trigger guard helps to prevent things from getting snagged on the trigger and firing the rifle accidentialy.

The way I see it is that under normal conditions it does not get in the way of anything but being able to fire your rifle when you need mitts outweighs the benefit that a trigger guard offers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top