Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:09:46 PM
For the last few months, I've been having an odd problem. If I eat cereal in the morning, then am late for lunch, I suddenly get VERY hungry, start getting the shakes, and start sweating. It's the same with any high-carbohydrate breakfast (bagels), but cereal really triggers it hard.

On the other hand, if I skip eating in the morning, I just start getting a normal gnawing hunger about an hour earlier. Oh, and if I don't eat at all for way too long, like 4pm or so, then late in the evening I get a splitting headache (absolutely horrible) and have to go to bed. Aspirin will dull the pain, but won't stop it; I have to sleep a few hours before it dies down.

Are either or both of these common for any particular problem?
capnrob97
Beagles rule!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:10:45 PM
Diabetes?
This post is solely the opinion of capnrob97 and does not reflect the views of ar15.com
DarkCharisma
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:10:55 PM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2009 5:11:20 PM by DarkCharisma]
Originally Posted By Raingod:
For the last few months, I've been having an odd problem. If I eat cereal in the morning, then am late for lunch, I suddenly get VERY hungry, start getting the shakes, and start sweating. It's the same with any high-carbohydrate breakfast (bagels), but cereal really triggers it hard.

I'm the exact same way. Skip breakfast, comfortable until lunch. Eat breakfast, shaky, hungry and sick by the time lunch comes around.

I've found that eating eggs instead of cereal I don't have this problem, or try and grab a bite before lunch.
Ponyboy
Wild Hog Hunter
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:11:17 PM
Cereal withdrawls
6.8SPC - Are you serious enough? Oh......you can't be funny either!

www.hogzillascents.com

www.wildhoghunters.com

230grains
LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:11:33 PM
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Ayn Rand
nobodyg17
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:12:33 PM
Quit putting so much booze in your cereal and the withdrawals will not be so horrible.
blackeye
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:13:14 PM

It means your a hypochondriac........................eat a pop tart and go stand in the corner.

You'll be fine.

I don't think everyone is out to get me, just the peckerheads with the handcuffs.
kaziganthi
Did you know I'm utterly insane?
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:14:38 PM
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
Diabetes?

You point and shoot... pop pop... move on... fuck em they shouldn't have been there... you move the fuck on... you do not stop and think about it... it's not a big deal.
fxntime
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:15:56 PM
Same thing happens to me even back when I was at 160 lbs. It's ALWAYS cereal and almost always if I eat it for breakfast. If I eat eggs, etc, no issues.
I do not have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

I feel like I'm living the movie "Idiocracy" with this administration.

Jackass of all trades, master of none.
LOW2000
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:17:30 PM
Low blood sugar. If you're eating cereal at 6-7am, have a piece of fruit or a protein bar or something around 9-10, then eat lunch at 12.
Raingod
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:19:30 PM
Well, I've been checked for diabetes years ago, but I guess I should get looked at again. I had the headaches problem back then, but the shaking/sweating stuff is relatively new.
Dan1918A2
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:27:42 PM
Have a beer with breakfast

The M1 does MY talking!
Gamma762
criticality accident
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:29:08 PM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2009 5:31:54 PM by Gamma762]
The symptoms you are experiencing are from a rapid drop in blood sugar level. High glycemic index breakfast food causing a sharp rise in blood sugar, and then after your body pumps out insulin to counteract that then you get a blood sugar crash a few hours later.

Try sticking with lower glycemic index breakfast foods, or else eat something else mid-morning to keep blood sugar up (this is a vicious cycle though).

Hypoglycemic symptoms and manifestations can be divided into those produced by the counterregulatory hormones (epinephrine/adrenaline and glucagon) triggered by the falling glucose, and the neuroglycopenic effects produced by the reduced brain sugar.

Adrenergic manifestations

* Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness, tremor
* Palpitations, tachycardia
* Sweating, feeling of warmth
* Pallor, coldness, clamminess
* Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
* Feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (parasthaesia) in the fingers

Glucagon manifestations

* Hunger, borborygmus
* Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
* Headache

Neuroglycopenic manifestations

* Abnormal mentation, impaired judgment
* Nonspecific dysphoria, anxiety, moodiness, depression, crying
* Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
* Personality change, emotional lability
* Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
* Confusion, amnesia, dizziness, delirium
* Staring, "glassy" look, blurred vision, double vision
* Automatic behavior, also known as automatism
* Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
* Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for "drunkenness"
* Focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis
* Paresthesia, headache
* Stupor, coma, abnormal breathing
* Generalized or focal seizures

All of your symptoms are somewhere in that list. Try to go with a lower-carb or at least lower-glycemic index diet to stabilize your blood sugar.
This is...a clue. - Pat_Rogers
Here's where the fundamentals are coming in... - costa
Jacketch
Brace yourself for collision
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:31:46 PM
Well, I've been checked for diabetes years ago, but I guess I should get looked at again. I had the headaches problem back then, but the shaking/sweating stuff is relatively new.

Pre-heart attack symptoms.
How smart a lash that speech doth give my conscience!

Stimulus - Chains We Can Believe In.

Teabag the Dems before they teabag us.
Medic-1
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 5:50:46 PM
From those symptoms listed it could very well be the early onset of Diabetes. Get your but in to see your Doc and have have some blood drawn.

OR...

You just need to hit the range more often........
ar15lizard
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:08:20 PM
Reactive hypoglycemia is not a sign of diabetes, but in some cases occurs in individuals who will later develop diabetes. As suggested, try a "South Beach" type breakfast with more protein and less carbs.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Gamma762
criticality accident
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:49:20 PM
Originally Posted By ar15lizard:
Reactive hypoglycemia is not a sign of diabetes, but in some cases occurs in individuals who will later develop diabetes.

Going through these kinds of extreme blood sugar spikes is one of the causes of diabetes... the insulin producing cells eventually just "burn out".
This is...a clue. - Pat_Rogers
Here's where the fundamentals are coming in... - costa
armoredsaint
Pok Gai 1.0
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:50:51 PM
i can't do frosted flakes anymore
كافر [IMG]http://i16.tinypic.com/4l417og.gif[/IMG]
smlockeiii
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:06:40 PM
No more cereal (at least not in some time now). I eat sausage, taters, peppers, onions & a couple of eggs (medium) in the morning. Maybe a banana first.

I try not to eat too much of it though. It is very good and not necessarily good for you. Lasts all morning or longer if need be. Comes in a bag frozen by Jimmy Dean I think.
Tried the bacon and ham (forget them). Lsat time I bought some in the commissary it was $2.70 a bag. Everywhere else it is $3.78 to $4.99.
Houstons_Problem
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:08:34 PM

I have the same problem less the headaches and sweating. I get very agitated too. If I eat some protein it will go away.
FreeBear
No one here gets out alive.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:11:31 PM

It's those three trouble makers Snap, Crackle, and Pop up to their shenanigans again.
Is it that we have so often been told that violence is not the answer to everything that we fail to realize it IS the answer to some things?

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset.

TUEBOR
Mosspointers
Better living through chemistry!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:12:07 PM
I have the same problem with alcohol. Had to give up beer and wine. Can still do Bailey's tho and bloddy marys...
I feel when the pendulum swings back it may need a 55gal drum of wd-40 to get it loose again....
LWilde
Avast there, ye Swab!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:14:01 PM
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
The symptoms you are experiencing are from a rapid drop in blood sugar level. High glycemic index breakfast food causing a sharp rise in blood sugar, and then after your body pumps out insulin to counteract that then you get a blood sugar crash a few hours later.

Try sticking with lower glycemic index breakfast foods, or else eat something else mid-morning to keep blood sugar up (this is a vicious cycle though).

Hypoglycemic symptoms and manifestations can be divided into those produced by the counterregulatory hormones (epinephrine/adrenaline and glucagon) triggered by the falling glucose, and the neuroglycopenic effects produced by the reduced brain sugar.

Glucagon manifestations

* Hunger, borborygmus
* Headache

* Paresthesia, headache

All of your symptoms are somewhere in that list. Try to go with a lower-carb or at least lower-glycemic index diet to stabilize your blood sugar.

Thank you. I've been dealing with this problem for about five years. I finally know what it is.
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
str8tshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:14:07 PM

OMG grains that is scary as hell!

Right click, save as.

OP get your sugars tested, just in case. You're probably better off with protein like eggs instead of the high carbs.
I have forgotten twice ~ Deej86
Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia~ Reinforcement Division
Pontius
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:33:31 PM
Huevos FTW. I've abandoned cereal for breakfast entirely for the same reasons. Say what you will about McDonalds, a pair of their breakfast burritos and your good all morning long.
RichinCM
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:34:37 PM
Hypoglycemia.
Raingod
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:48:39 PM

But that's NORMAL for me.

Yeah, time for another doctor's visit, I guess. Only problem with eggs and other proteins is they have to be cooked, and I just don't have time in the mornings. Oh well.

Thanks all!
HOLGER_DANSKE
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 7:57:43 PM

On the other hand, if I skip eating in the morning, I just start getting a normal gnawing hunger about an hour earlier. Oh, and if I don't eat at all for way too long, like 4pm or so, then late in the evening I get a splitting headache (absolutely horrible) and have to go to bed. Aspirin will dull the pain, but won't stop it; I have to sleep a few hours before it dies down.

Maybe you are Hypoglycemic? That is what I have and I had those same symptoms until I knew how to eat and when to eat. Ask you Doctor to do a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT).
hunter1700
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 9:47:40 PM
Agreed. I'm diabetic. Cereal is high carbs alond with milk. Your body spits out insulin to lower blood sugar and by mid morning you've got a low blood sugar. Stick with low carb breakfast with snack inbetween breakfast and lunch. BTW get your blood sugar A1C tested.
Hendricks5150
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 9:53:38 PM
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
Diabetes?

philinmedford
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:00:09 PM
Originally Posted By HOLGER_DANSKE:

Maybe you are Hypoglycemic? That is what I have and I had those same symptoms until I knew how to eat and when to eat. Ask you Doctor to do a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT).

Hypoglycemic - I have it too. First happened when I was about 30, really hungry said I needed to go eat, manager said "oh hold one for a couple minutes, going over something with the boss. I grab a candy bar, chow it down. I'm working the counter and suddenly I can't make change for a dollar. "oh shit" . I go into the back, say I gotta go eat NOW. I stumble across the street, couldn't figure out the menu, just pointed. Gal asks if I want something to drink. I can't figure out beyond "Dr" (pepper). I'm numb on my right side and I'm freaking that I'm having a stroke. I manage to eat something, go back across the street, my bud is asking what the hell is wrong. I couldn't remember my wifes name, my kids - nothing. He's about to call the ambulance and *whoosh*, it's like I got on an elevator back to reality.

They gave me a glucose tolerance test after ruling everything else out and sure enough, huge spike. The best thing to do is if you are having an attack is some sugar of some kind, following by protein, peanut butter or some nuts. You meal pattern should be six meals a day spaced out.

bradinator
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:06:10 PM
Originally Posted By philinmedford:
Originally Posted By HOLGER_DANSKE:

Hypoglycemic - I have it too. First happened when I was about 30, really hungry said I needed to go eat, manager said "oh hold one for a couple minutes, going over something with the boss. I grab a candy bar, chow it down. I'm working the counter and suddenly I can't make change for a dollar. "oh shit" . I go into the back, say I gotta go eat NOW. I stumble across the street, couldn't figure out the menu, just pointed. Gal asks if I want something to drink. I can't figure out beyond "Dr" (pepper). I'm numb on my right side and I'm freaking that I'm having a stroke. I manage to eat something, go back across the street, my bud is asking what the hell is wrong. I couldn't remember my wifes name, my kids - nothing. He's about to call the ambulance and *whoosh*, it's like I got on an elevator back to reality.

They gave me a glucose tolerance test after ruling everything else out and sure enough, huge spike. The best thing to do is if you are having an attack is some sugar of some kind, following by protein, peanut butter or some nuts. You meal pattern should be six meals a day spaced out.

Wow thats intense.

I pretty much am the same way and have to have some protein in the morning otherwise im worthless and get light head/ feel fainty.
kap_x
I say naughty words
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:09:02 PM
Not enough bacon, obviously
Adversary of day. Conqueror of night. Detractor of time itself.
Drawn is a fine line bifurcating brilliance and madness. I am that line.
cosmos556
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:09:38 PM
Cuz ur dyin of teh SUPERAIDS!!!11!!!
Justin-Kase
I'll think of something.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:13:01 PM

But that's NORMAL for me.

Yeah, time for another doctor's visit, I guess. Only problem with eggs and other proteins is they have to be cooked, and I just don't have time in the mornings. Oh well.

Thanks all!

Eggs aren't to nasty if cooked ahead and then reheated in a microwave, and hardboiled eggs can be eaten cold. Either way it's the cure and it's better than the shakes.
The only difference between us and a totalitarian government, seems to be that we are under the delusion of being free! - EdAvilaSr

I want a 12 Gauge FAL with a 14 inch barrel and reliable 6 - 8 round magazines.

DSA ARE YOU LISTENING????
neoinarien
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:13:36 PM
addiction
Hawken50
Skunk Jihad Commanding General
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:16:50 PM
Cause crack is not cereal.
CURRENT SKUNK JIHAD SCORE-
ARFCOM=10, SKUNKS=3.5

"A thunderclap, a tongue of flame, the still abruptly shattered..." -Michael Marks
GUNSFORHIRE
DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:17:32 PM
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Glucagon manifestations

* Hunger, borborygmus
* Headache

* Paresthesia, headache

^
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-- Thomas Jefferson

The PEOPLE are the LAW of the UNITED STATES!
nightstalker
In for a Penny, In for a Pound
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:19:24 PM

Originally Posted By LOW2000:
Low blood sugar. If you're eating cereal at 6-7am, have a piece of fruit or a protein bar or something around 9-10, then eat lunch at 12.

Something to do with low blood sugar and possibly low blood pressure.
An insane person is not a man who has lost his reason, but a man who has lost everything BUT his reason..... GK Chesterton

When words lose their meaning, a people can move neither hand nor foot. Confucius

JacobusRex
Jimbo the Code Monkey
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:41:32 PM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2009 11:43:03 PM by JacobusRex]
Hypoglycemic reactions are often triggered by too much sugar. That is why it doesn't happen as often with protein foods. I'm hypoglycemic and pancakes with syrup for breakfast will just wipe me out by noon. If you are like me, your body is doing the opposite of diabetes, it is making too much insulin and driving sugar levels down. I've had this problem for going on 30 years. I have to avoid overloading on sugar at the wrong times and also fasting for long periods can mess me up. Ironically, I can usually skip breakfast and eat a late lunch and not get sick. It will happen most often when I eat breakfast and then eat a late lunch. This occurs because of the over production of insulin after a meal that lows my blood sugar. The extra insulin is not produced if I skip breakfast or eat a light or protien filled meal. People who develop diabetes often do have hypoglycemic trouble before the development of diabetes so you will have to keep an eye on that if you do turn out to have the problem. However, not all hypoglycemics will develop diabetes.

Whatever you do, you will want to talk to a real doctor and get a blood test.