Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If you killed the power immediately, you are probably OK.

While the electronics cleaner isn't necessarily good for system boards, it's prbably better than letting the sticky soda dry on the board.

When you get home, make sure it is completely dry and make sure the contacts on the modem are clean and put it in and fire the system up. If there is damage, it's already done. Firing it up isn't going to "hurt" anything.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If all else fails, draw a target on the side of the case, load up your AR, and ...well, you get the idea[pistol]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like it should be fine. Did you pull it completely apart and clean everything? i.e. take the mobo from the case and all.

Good thing it doesn't sound like it got to he power supply, or else you would really be up the creek then. Power supplies tend to get pissed when they go and decide they are not going alone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll second the recommendation for a wipedown with alcohol, works great on PC components and evaporates quicly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to get this problem a lot when I was a field tech.

Basicly, disassemble the system (remove all boards) including the motherboard.

Take parts to your bathroom, start up shower and wash all the parts off.

Now for the important part... [b]LET DRY FOR A DAY OR TWO OR THREE[/b]. Make sure all the parts are dry, use "Canned Air" to help things out. But for gods sake, make sure everything is dry. Sorry but I learned this the hard way.

Many say this works on keyboards (for the coke spills), but I generally disassemble the entire keyboard. Nice puzzle afterwards with all the keys [:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
And let this be a lesson to you. From here on out always drink beer instead of kiddy drinks.
This way if you spill it again .... "alcohol" has a cleaning effect in case you are still not convinced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top