Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 8:58:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay with 5.5  6 has to have the java virtual machine turned on to see java.  It is not hard to do but, it is stupid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#2]
IE6 is mostly cosmetic changes. I run IE 6 at work and IE 5.5 at home.

Really not that musch of a cosmetic difference.

Ato a review of IE 6:

As far as new features for developers go, the list begins with full support for CSS and DOM Level 1, support for Microsoft XML 3.0, enhanced SMIL 2.0 multimedia support, content-restricted IFrames, support for mouse wheel events, easier integration of server and client side code via Microsoft .NET, automatic ellipses for text overflow, and install-on-demand Java VM support.
View Quote

What does that mean for you? Right now, not much. Down the road it means it will tie in with the MS .Net stratagy.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stay with 5.5  6 has to have the java virtual machine turned on to see java.  It is not hard to do but, it is stupid.
View Quote

You will also need to download the Quicktime plugin again.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
IE6 beside the cosmetic, have a better security package than IE5.  Remember that we have those Virus?  and then we have to apply those security patches for them IE5?.......well, it becomes IE6.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I never update IE until I _need_ to, and I usually end up with a more stable version because of it.  I've been running IE 4.01 SP2 at home for a long time now because it doesn't give me any problems.

A friend of mine just installed IE 6 today and is getting script errors just trying to browse his directory tree...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
IE 6 handles javascript a lot better than 5.5. I finally got fed up with Netscape locking up and grudgingly used IE 5.5 but was frustrated by all the javascript errors. IE has mostly eliminated the problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=4]IE5 IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY, WITHOUT FLAW. IE6 IS EVEN MORE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY, EVEN MORE WITHOUT FLAW. ALL HAIL THE OVERMIND.[/size=4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top