Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2009 6:08:18 AM EDT
I was cleaning the garage last night and due to a retarded thought on my part I lodged a rapala hook(1 of the 3 hooks on each side) into my thumb well past the barb point. Im a big sissy when it comes to needles and such so after making myself not pass out for about half hour I went to work trying to get the bastard out. I tried pulling it out and it wouldnt budge even after wiggling it around in circles and up and down. I then thought about pushing it up and through my skin and then cutting the hook and sliding it througjh(like a piercing) this would have worked but it was deep enough that it just bent when I tried to break back through the skin. So a hour and a half later I take a pliers and pull it back and get it so the barb is right to the edge of the skin. I take a finger nail clippers and cut my skin around it so I can slide the barb up. Now the barb is exposed but my skin remains between the barb and the hook. After a slow and hard pull it tore the rest of the skin.

So this brings about the question. How do you properly take out the hook if this happens? Tearing it back through the hole that it came was pretty painful. Pushing it out the other way would work assuming its shallow enough and will work. If it doesnt you just put the hook in farther. Or do you filet your thumb open and slide it right out?
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics or GTFO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut the hook and push all the way out, hook point first. Do NOT pull against the barb.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Push it through and cut the barb then pull it back or loop a piece of string around it and pull it out- there are several videos on youtube of how to do this without tearing yourself up.  Not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in a while.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Cut the barb off with dikes/diagonal cutters, just part of fishing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cut the hook and push all the way out, hook point first. Do NOT pull against the barb.

Ya. It will hurt much less to push it on through than it will to pull it back out.

Or, there's always that Dr. option.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
its gotta go through, dont try to work against the barb.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pics or GTFO.

I thought about it but I was trying not to pass out. Im such a pussy haha
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Video
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
No worth to this thread without pics

Oh yeah and DO NOT PULL AGAINST TEH BARB!
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#11]
If you must, then rotate the barb all the way through and cut it off.  Some times this will not work.

I had a buddy who buried a worm hook into the heel of his hand.  We dug on that thing for a couple of hours, inflicting more pain than I thought a human could endure, and then took him to the ER.  They had it out in a few minutes after the staff quit laughing.  

I grind the barbs off my worm hooks and buzz baits and sharpen them.  My experience is that you land more fish by being able to drive the hook deeply and not relying on the barb.  This doesn't work so well on some type of fishing but it really produces in bass fishing.  It also makes it much easier to remove one if you get snagged in the hand or leg.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

Couple of beers and no problem.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Push it through the other side and cut off the barb ......
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#14]
don't be a pussy just leave it in like a real man
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#15]
People PAY good money for piercings....you got one for free!! Be happy!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Use some heavy line, stick it in the hole against the barb. The barb wont catch the flesh and should pull out.
This should help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Use some heavy line, stick it in the hole against the barb. The barb wont catch the flesh and should pull out.
This should help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#18]
You are now bait. Get in the lake.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Cutting the thumb off is out, right?
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you must, then rotate the barb all the way through and cut it off.  Some times this will not work.

I had a buddy who buried a worm hook into the heel of his hand.  We dug on that thing for a couple of hours, inflicting more pain than I thought a human could endure, and then took him to the ER.  They had it out in a few minutes after the staff quit laughing.  

I grind the barbs off my worm hooks and buzz baits and sharpen them.  My experience is that you land more fish by being able to drive the hook deeply and not relying on the barb.  This doesn't work so well on some type of fishing but it really produces in bass fishing.  It also makes it much easier to remove one if you get snagged in the hand or leg.

Good advice, i debarb my hooks habitually.  Makes life simpler.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#23]
This guy seems to have the procedure down pretty well..
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn....didn't you kids ever watch any old western movies?

Get a bottle of rot gut whiskey and have a friend take a knife sterilized over an open flame and get to digging.

or not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#26]
At least you tackled the problem.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This should help.

Yep.. Works everytime.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Get a bottle of rot gut whiskey and have a friend take a knife sterilized over an open flame and get to digging.
or not.
Been there, done that.  It was a bloody and exciting mess that wound up in the ER anyway.  We looked like a cross between the casts of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Deliverance" when we finally took my bud to the hospital.  Note to self, never try to do any form of surgery with a K-Bar.  Oh, and he was so very drunk and entertaining...

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Cut the thumb off and by a new hook.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Liquor

Disposable, spare "friend"

Have said friend kick you in in the jimmy-hard

Disposable friend yanks hook out

When you wake up dispose of disposable friend, who you never really liked in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#32]
You can always get drunk, be a man and use a chainsaw..

OR

Since the hook is already baited, just go fishing for pirahnas at the local petshop.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd say the ER cause some bad shit can happen. A long time ago I was shad fishing with my older brother. The process of shad fishing is you stand shoulder to shoulder so accidents happen. He got hooked through the lip by someone. We went to the hospital and at that time they used to give EVERYONE penicillin shots kinda like what they do with tetanus shots now (and the OP should find out last time he got one)

Anyway, turns out he was allergic. If we hadn't been in the hospital we would of lost him. He was lucky he wasn't at a doctors office.

I told him afterwards "Dave, you looked just like the fish we caught, gasping and flopping around and your eyes bugging out".

He didn't think it was as funny as I did

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Cut off your thumb......It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Thanks...

I also downloaded the pdf.

Andre
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At least you tackled the problem.

Stop baiting him!
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pics or GTFO.

Like never before.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Seems like a good way to cause nerve damage.....

Anything around the barb would get torn up on the way out.

I buried one pretty deep in my thumb, I believe the physician used the advance and cut technique, he seemed concerned with nerve damage even with that method. My dad was pissed because the physician did the same thing he was going to do....

Except it might involve a Leatherman and Vice-grips.....

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This should help.

Yep.. Works everytime.

<<  saves that tidbit for future use.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

or not.

Followed by beans, salt port, and cup after cup of strong hot java around the campfire, just before hitting the sack

I never understood taking on a caffein jag just before trying to sleep.  Must be a hollywood thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Doctor visit and possibly minor surgery to remove.  

Quoted:

This - assuming it's not in too deep or close enough to something important (like a nerve) to be a problem...
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#43]
the string yank methods already posted several times works great. I used it to remove a hook from a buddies thumb that was buried up to the bend.  You must push down on the eye of the hook. It surprisingly doesn't take much force.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#44]
The string method works well, though most of the time I just push it thru and let it bleed out for a while.  One of my buddies stuck a shark hook thru the top of his foot then out the bottom and we did the extraction right there in the boat.  LOTS of loud noises insued since we didn't have any bolt cutters and had to hacksaw the eyelet off to push it thru.

He never went fishing with us again.

Just a note, if you are prone to this I suggest changing out all the trebles on your lures for circle hooks. It's kept my hide pretty much puncture free and I haven't noticed any difference in hooking fish.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Me with a Heddon Torpedo stuck in my head, courtesy of my fishing buddy.  

He managed to get two of the hooks buried really well.  We tried cutting them off with a pair of dykes, but couldn't get them under far enough.  So off to the hospital we went.

After they got them out, we went back to the lake to finish up the day.  We caught some nice ones that day too.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#46]
A physician's assistant showed me a trick they use in the clinic for this.

For normal punctures in your finger, arm, cheek, etc......not in you eye or anything like that.

-loop a string around the bend of the hook so that the string ends face away the hook's eye.
-press on the hook shank toward the skin so that you are tilting the point down deeper and the barb is in effect shielded by the main point.
-give a quick yank on the string around the bend

This will pull the hook out the way it went in and the hook tip will block the barb from catching too much on the way back out.

He said it's like ripping of bandage tape times 3 but it's over before you know it.

Decontaminate and in the clinic you'd get a tetanus booster if you're not current.

he demonstrated this for me on a sponge.  It worked pretty slick but then again my nerves weren't attached to the sponge.

I crimp most of my barbs down anyhow.  I lose a few more fish but it's quicker releasing fish I don't want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Me with a Heddon Torpedo stuck in my head, courtesy of my fishing buddy.  

He managed to get two of the hooks buried really well.  We tried cutting them off with a pair of dykes, but couldn't get them under far enough.  So off to the hospital we went.

After they got them out, we went back to the lake to finish up the day.  We caught some nice ones that day too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/Donwithlure.jpg  

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Push the barb out and cut it of.  Unless its stuck some strange way then you may have to cut it out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Seems like a good way to cause nerve damage.....

Anything around the barb would get torn up on the way out.

I buried one pretty deep in my thumb, I believe the physician used the advance and cut technique, he seemed concerned with nerve damage even with that method. My dad was pissed because the physician did the same thing he was going to do....

Except it might involve a Leatherman and Vice-grips.....

Maybe, I've never had a problem with that method. But its usually small hooks for trout or perch here.

eta: its one you can use when your by yourself. put downward pressure on the eye of the hood to keep the barb from ripping as you pull the string with your teeth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top