Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2009 5:09:19 AM EDT
This blurb was in a daily email I receive from a lobbying firm:

To rent a 26 ft. truck from U-Haul one-way from San Francisco to Austin Texas, the charge is $3,236. From Austin to San Francisco the charge is only $399. Lots of demand to leave California for Texas but little interest in anyone renting the truck in Texas and heading to California. That kinda says something about Governator Ahnold's state.

I went on U-Haul's website and checked.  Using 05/11/2009 as a pickup date I get $931 to rent a 26' truck from Austin to San Francisco and $2,497 to rent the same truck from San Francisco to Austin.  Interesting....
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It might have to do with rent and maintenance costs in CA.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]

It's all about where they need the trucks. I moved from Albuquerque to Las Vegas NV in 1990. I got a hell of a deal because they needed trucks in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It that were the case the prices would be the other way around - CA to TX would be cheaper because they want the truck out of CA where it is expensive to maintain.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

especially SF County.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It that were the case the prices would be the other way around - CA to TX would be cheaper because they want the truck out of CA where it is expensive to maintain.

Supply and demand.  Supply in CA is low, and demand is high - resulting in a higher rental rate.  The opposite is likely true of Texas resulting in a lower rate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, but you still need trucks for people to rent.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
A number of years ago I had moved.  It was much cheaper to make it a round trip than to go one way.  So the truck was filled on my way there and empty on my way back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
So, if you were an enterprising U-Haul dealer in Texas, you could advertise in California at the California-to-Texas rate, pay someone $500 to drive it to the customer's doorstep (plus another $500 for gas), and still pocket an extra $500 in profit...
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, but you still need trucks for people to rent.

And that's why it's so cheap to take a truck to CA.  They're almost paying you to bring a truck so they can rent it to one of the people willing to pay $$$$$$$ to leave that state.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
That's mighty expensive to drive a crappy U-haul across the Desert. The last few trucks I rented from U-haul were scary enough to drive a cross town, I couldn't imagine driving one cross country.
Look into a Hertz rental truck. They are better maintained and safer to drive. It is worth the little extra money I think.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's mighty expensive to drive a crappy U-haul across the Desert. The last few trucks I rented from U-haul were scary enough to drive a cross town, I couldn't imagine driving one cross country.
Look into a Hertz rental truck. They are better maintained and safer to drive. It is worth the little extra money I think.

+1

I made the mistake of renting a U-haul once, it was a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#12]

One of the most fun days of my life was a bored Saturday when I decided to rent a Uhaul truck just for the hell of it.  You haven't lived until you've been in a Uhaul with all the wheels in the air!  Damn, I love Uhaul.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder what type of person would move from San Fran to Austin? Do you reckon they're..........gay?  

Not that there's anything WRONG with that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#14]
From experience it is always cheaper to be renting from a popular location (in this case TX) and driving it one way to the unpopular area (in this case CA).

They need that Uhaul in CA because many people are renting them and moving away.  Why does it cost so much to go from CA to TX?  Simply put once the Uhaul gets to TX no one wants to rent it there.  You have a lot of people arriving and dumping off rentals and not as many people going the other way.  So the demand for it is in CA and someone has to get that Uhaul back there to be rented again which means if its driven back to CA without being rented they are losing money.  That is why it costs more to go from CA to TX rather than the other way around.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, if you were an enterprising U-Haul dealer in Texas, you could advertise in California at the California-to-Texas rate, pay someone $500 to drive it to the customer's doorstep (plus another $500 for gas), and still pocket an extra $500 in profit...

Heh, if I was unemployed that actually sounds like a fun way to fill time and make a few bucks.  Just rent a truck here in TX for someone in CA and go move their stuff for them.  But mileage charges would kill me.

Let's say Austin to San Francisco, at 1700 miles... times 3, because I have to drive from TX to CA, back to TX, then go drop the truck off in CA.  That's 5100 miles and they charge me 40cents/mile beyond 2100.  So I'll have $1200 in mileage fees.  Then I still have to get home from CA.

I could try a local rental instead, which is very cheap up front, BUT they charge 99cents/mile.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Supply and demand?  May have something to do with the fact that most Texans either own a truck or know somebody who owns a truck - not as much demand.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Not surprising, there are always flatbeds of U-Haul trailers headed west in I-10.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Dammit, why are these Kalifornians moving to Texas, they're screwing this state up.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This blurb was in a daily email I receive from a lobbying firm:

To rent a 26 ft. truck from U-Haul one-way from San Francisco to Austin Texas, the charge is $3,236. From Austin to San Francisco the charge is only $399. Lots of demand to leave California for Texas but little interest in anyone renting the truck in Texas and heading to California. That kinda says something about Governator Ahnold's state.

I went on U-Haul's website and checked.  Using 05/11/2009 as a pickup date I get $931 to rent a 26' truck from Austin to San Francisco and $2,497 to rent the same truck from San Francisco to Austin.  Interesting....

lol... california...
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#20]
It was far cheaper for me to buy a trailer for my cross country move than pay those prices.  Plus I got a trailer out of it, a definite bonus.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The L.A. Times did a hit piece on U-Haul awhile, the maintence was horrible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Last Uhaul I rented was a new ford V10. That thing would move!
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dammit, why are these Kalifornians moving to Texas, they're screwing this state up.....

This plus the jackasses from New Jersey and Michigan are almost as big a threat as the Illegals.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One of the most fun days of my life was a bored Saturday when I decided to rent a Uhaul truck just for the hell of it.  You haven't lived until you've been in a Uhaul with all the wheels in the air!  Damn, I love Uhaul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKPjylGk-nU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f56fY1OaFI

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#25]
There is so many Texans coming here to SF you practically got to beat them off.

I know they are from Texas because they wear leather and cowboy hats.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Last Uhaul I rented was a new ford V10. That thing would move!

The one I rented (when moving out of CA BTW
) had the V10. It hauled ass up and over Donner Summit

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Are you sure they're not "recent" Texans....possibly "undocumented"......
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So let me get this strait, you guys over in San Francisco are trying to "beat off" texans?

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So let me get this strait, you guys over in San Francisco are trying to "beat off" texans?

I better be careful what I post, I may Cause a mass exodus of Texans to California.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good one.  The last six or so guys I met here in Seattle that were wearing cowboy hats were not from Texas.  One was from CA, another from HI, another from NJ, and the other three from IL.  I just wanted to knocked their cowboy hats off.  Damn posers.  Oh, and one of them drove a smart car!z

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they call us queer
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Gonna rent a Uhaul huh?

Guessing you haven't Youtubed 'how to break a Uhaul'.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Uhaul will offer better rates to areas where they are low on trucks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Find the right locations and U-haul will pay lower the rate even more if you can pull a trailer.  Nothing new about this,  when I moved from San Diego to phoenix, it was going to cost me about $500 to use a trailer.  But If I rented it in phoenix and hauled it there and back it was only going to be $80.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good one.  The last six or so guys I met here in Seattle that were wearing cowboy hats were not from Texas.  One was from CA, another from HI, another from NJ, and the other three from IL.  I just wanted to knocked their cowboy hats off.  Damn posers.  Oh, and one of them drove a smart car!z

Yep, when I was TAD in L.A., CA. had this guy in our "office" that wore the big ole boots, Wrangler jeans, BIG ass belt buckle had a gigantic jacked up 4x4 and the front plate said "Texas Redneck" with the Confederate flag on it. I couldn't stand the fuck, he was arrogant as hell too. One day I asked him, "so I'm guessing you're from Texas"? and he said "Nawww, but I've done a good bit of stomping around down there". I just laughed and walked away shaking my head. I'm a born & bred Texan and look nothing like that, just tennis shoes, jeans and T-shirts.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top